+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neils post match comments on transfer

Re: Neils post match comments on transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    A third promotion to the Premier League would be difficult, and it would be with a new manager and a rebuilt team.
    Yup, let's do whatever we can to stay in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    So give up in January, in the Premier league with all the income when 4 points off safety.

Instead look to a 46 match championship, save our spending for the summer in the championship with considerably less income with the ultimate goal to be right back where we are now.

Can't say I get the logic on this one.
    I think we need to be realistic, we’ll likely need to pick up 17 points in 10 games, I would prefer for us to sign players that will stick with us next season in the championship

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I think we need to be realistic, we’ll likely need to pick up 17 points in 10 games, I would prefer for us to sign players that will stick with us next season in the championship
    Why bother signing anyone then? Let's just drift aimlessly towards relegation and save VT's money.

I'm genuinely shocked how many people have this attitude.

Loss of £100M revenue, loss of 40% of the squad & the manager, absolutely no guarantees of a top 6 finish in the Championship and crowds down by 10,000 per game. The club has the golden egg, why give it away?

It's like people are homesick for the Championship.

I'm not advocating mad spending but the team is desperate for an injection of new legs & new ideas.

So give up in January, in the Premier league with all the income when 4 points off safety.

Instead look to a 46 match championship, save our spending for the summer in the championship with considerably less income with the ultimate goal to be right back where we are now.

Can't say I get the logic on this one.
    There is no logic in the two quotes you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Agree. We did the hard work getting here. We should be making sure we stay. Investing now to keep the financial rewards coming.

Go back down and it could take years to get here again.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Agree. We did the hard work getting here. We should be making sure we stay. Investing now to keep the financial rewards coming.

Go back down and it could take years to get here again.
    After a couple of relegations from the PL, combined with a despondent mindset, we could just as easily drop through to League One as get promoted again. Many teams fail to dust themselves off and go again after such upheavals, and the transition just after a relegation is often a critical period if things start to go wrong.

20 goals in 24 shows where our problem lies.

Having said that our goals against column is the second worst in the league also.

We needed a big transfer window and the club have failed.
    It is desperately unlucky and is extremely sad what has happened with Sala but business should have continued as soon as possible when we knew what this meant for the business/football side of things.

Our club is very reactionary in the transfer markets and never pushes the issue.
    How many times have we heard 'things might change' and 'we'll have to see'.

How about getting everything in place prior to the transfer window opening and going and getting the players that we need City?
    This waiting for the window to open and then being dictated to by other transfers and goings on at other clubs hasn't work and shows no signs of doing so any time soon.

If we 'probably won't' be getting a striker in then we' probably won't' have any chance of staying in this league.
    I don't mean to seem insensitive here but the club knew what was required for months on end and the Sala situation is desperately unfortunate but even that deal was virtually off on several occasions so the question remains if we would have got anybody if that had fallen through even.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    After a couple of relegations from the PL, combined with a despondent mindset, we could just as easily drop through to League One as get promoted again. Many teams fail to dust themselves off and go again after such upheavals, and the transition just after a relegation is often a critical period if things start to go wrong.
    Stoke, richest owner in the Championship, retained the majority of their squad, favourites for promotion (I have money on them) -

Butland, Shawcross, Allen, Clucas, Afobe, Ince, Berahino even Crouch & currently spending more than us in this window.

15th

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Why bother signing anyone then? Let's just drift aimlessly towards relegation and save VT's money.

Loss of £100M revenue, loss of 40% of the squad & the manager, absolutely no guarantees of a top 6 finish in the Championship and crowds down by 10,000 per game. The club has the golden egg, why give it away?

I'm not advocating mad spending but the team is desperate for an injection of new legs & new ideas.
    I’d love to stay up as much as the next city fan and going down is probably going to set us back years but unless we sign at least 5 new players I just can’t see where the points come from

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    20 goals in 24 shows where our problem lies.

Having said that our goals against column is the second worst in the league also.

We needed a big transfer window and the club have failed.
    It is desperately unlucky and is extremely sad what has happened with Sala but business should have continued as soon as possible when we knew what this meant for the business/football side of things.

Our club is very reactionary in the transfer markets and never pushes the issue.
    How many times have we heard 'things might change' and 'we'll have to see'.

How about getting everything in place prior to the transfer window opening and going and getting the players that we need City?
    This waiting for the window to open and then being dictated to by other transfers and goings on at other clubs hasn't work and shows no signs of doing so any time soon.

If we 'probably won't' be getting a striker in then we' probably won't' have any chance of staying in this league.
    I don't mean to seem insensitive here but the club knew what was required for months on end and the Sala situation is desperately unfortunate but even that deal was virtually off on several occasions so the question remains if we would have got anybody if that had fallen through even.
    You are being very insensitive. You obviously also have no idea how the transfer system works or how difficult it is to get players in mid season. NW has already said that they had been working on the Sala transfer for weeks. They have very likely been looking at who to bring in this January since the last window closed in August and would have had a list to chase. You seem to actually think that they sit on their hands for four months waiting for January to come around before rushing around like hesdless chickens trying to sign anybody they can. How on earth can they plan for their number one target being killed in an accident with under two weeks left in the window. How soon after the accident do you think we should have gone looking for a replacement - 8 hours ? 12 hours ? a day ? You are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You are being very insensitive. You obviously also have no idea how the transfer system works or how difficult it is to get players in mid season. NW has already said that they had been working on the Sala transfer for weeks. They have very likely been looking at who to bring in this January since the last window closed in August and would have had a list to chase. You seem to actually think that they sit on their hands for four months waiting for January to come around before rushing around like hesdless chickens trying to sign anybody they can. How on earth can they plan for their number one target being killed in an accident with under two weeks left in the window. How soon after the accident do you think we should have gone looking for a replacement - 8 hours ? 12 hours ? a day ? You are living in cloud cuckoo land.
    Going by your reckoning most threads on here discussing transfers are insensitive then?
    Or does it just apply to strikers? I don't see you jumping on those threads and suggesting anything like that though.

I have some idea of how the transfer window works but would question whether those involved at City know enough about it if I'm honest. We have a poor record of doing things well in the summer or January. We were making noises about how difficult things were to do deals before the window opened even.

Do we need a striker? Yes.
    We are apparently not meant to try for one to avoid being insensitive.
    All well and good but we have not got enough goals in that team to survive as it is.

Let's not forget here we needed more than a striker which was glaringly obvious but haven't got those over the line either. Anybody would think they would have done so with all the preparation they have put in for months prior to the window opening or so you would have us believe.

The evidence of many windows suggests we react to what other teams do and panic at the last minute. It seems we are doing just that this time with just over a day to do the remaining deals.

Going by your reckoning most threads on here discussing transfers are insensitive then?
    Or does it just apply to strikers? I don't see you jumping on those threads and suggesting anything like that though.

I have some idea of how the transfer window works but would question whether those involved at City know enough about it if I'm honest. We have a poor record of doing things well in the summer or January. We were making noises about how difficult things were to do deals before the window opened even.

All well and good but we have not got enough goals in that team to survive as it is.

Let's not forget here we needed more than a striker which was glaringly obvious but haven't got those over the line either. Anybody would think they would have done so with all the preparation they have put in for months prior to the window opening or so you would have us believe.

The evidence of many windows suggests we react to what other teams do and panic at the last minute. It seems we are doing just that this time with just over a day to do the remaining deals.
    We clearly need a striker, everyone at the club knows that and that is why we signed Sala for a club record fee, along with the loan of Niasse. Sala was our no.1 target it would seem and behind the scenes this more than likely went on for a long time. The club worked hard to get him in and the deal was done.

I'm not really sure what more they could have done in this situation.

Hopefully we can get another in before the window closes but I certainly wont be criticising the club for this transfer window.

Don't you dare say anything negative or mildly critical, otherwise he'll be on to you in a flash

We clearly need a striker, everyone at the club knows that and that is why we signed Sala for a club record fee, along with the loan of Niasse. Sala was our no.1 target it would seem and behind the scenes this more than likely went on for a long time. The club worked hard to get him in and the deal was done.

I'm not really sure what more they could have done in this situation.

Hopefully we can get another in before the window closes but I certainly wont be criticising the club for this transfer window.
    I wouldn't be overly critical on the striker front given the circumstances but the window is 31 days long with as long as you like to do some work prior to this.

We had three weeks to do a deal for a right back, a position that it is glaringly obvious we need reinforcements in. We did nothing in those three weeks other than show alarming naivety in taking a verbal agreement for Clyne as a green light that he was going to come.

Yes the course of events are tragic and have left us in a very difficult position but are we to believe the Sala deal was the only one the club explored in the first three weeks of this transfer window?

As has been mentioned there would or should have been a list of potential signings. We got a striker but as hard as it is need to push on with the other targets if we are to have a chance of survival.
    I see no reason why we have not sorted out the right back situation prior to Sala and, if we have done our groundwork on other signings, why we can't secure these before the deadline.

If the Premier League hadn't insisted that the deadline was non negotiable then this would not be something the club or anybody else would like to consider but they have forced the club's hand. The rules have left no room for sentiment sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

If there is plenty going on behind the scenes, then continue.
    My fear is we are now in the final 24 hours and, apart from rumours, e do not seem to be closing any deal.
    My main worry is a couple of panic buys, wasting even more money, which a new manager may need in the summer.

i never understood the " lets take the payments this season and build again from the championship " thing, it honestly doesnt work in my eyes

the EPL is where it is at, we need to stay up with the big boys and if we need to spend, lets spend, come on Vinnie, another 50 Mill will not make a difference to the debt we owe you

Is what it is.

They're trying. We lost one in the immediate aftermath of Sala. I'm sure some will hold the club accountable at the end of today, whatever the outcome;but this whole situation is unprecedented and they've had a good week or so taken out of the busiest part of the window. Add into the fact that they put so much effort into getting the Sala deal done in the earlier part of the window; they've been left chasing their tail slightly.

Agree if there are players out there who we can invest in; then we should try and get something done.

Don't agree that we should sign players for the sake of it; and that's not me surrendering or wanting to get back to the Championship; but taking Stoke as the example; I don't fancy being sat in the Championship with a squad full of players from France who have no interest in being here, but collecting ££££. That won't make anything better in the long-term either. It's difficult.

I don't believe that we aren't looking for a striker still; understood we spoke to someone yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I very rarely agree with you on City, but I think your use of the word "insensitive" is entirely appropriate here.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Is what it is.

They're trying. We lost one in the immediate aftermath of Sala. I'm sure some will hold the club accountable at the end of today, whatever the outcome;but this whole situation is unprecedented and they've had a good week or so taken out of the busiest part of the window. Add into the fact that they put so much effort into getting the Sala deal done in the earlier part of the window; they've been left chasing their tail slightly.

Agree if there are players out there who we can invest in; then we should try and get something done.

Don't agree that we should sign players for the sake of it; and that's not me surrendering or wanting to get back to the Championship; but taking Stoke as the example; I don't fancy being sat in the Championship with a squad full of players from France who have no interest in being here, but collecting ££££. That won't make anything better in the long-term either. It's difficult.

I don't believe that we aren't looking for a striker still; understood we spoke to someone yesterday.
    If we go down, I have no expectation of us bouncing back up as there are about 20 other teams with that expectation.Look at Villa expected to bounce back up, 3 seasons later still hoping for a play off place !
    We all know we will lose our 1st pick midfield 3 in the summer if we go down never mind right back and striker !

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I very rarely agree with you on City, but I think your use of the word "insensitive" is entirely appropriate here.
    How is it any more insensitive than any other messages discussing transfers on here?

The club are discussing them in various interviews too. The Premier League insisting on the deadline remaining have forced that.

We would have all preferred the tragedy with Sala not to have happened but it goes hand in hand with any transfer discussion as it has had such an impact on things.
    My argument is the club should have had much more in place to get things over the line earlier whether this be running concurrent with the Sala deal or earlier.

Apologies if it came across as insensitive as it wasn't intended that way. My frustration is that we haven't got deals done in the first three weeks prior to Sala. The big advantage of this would be they would be in and around the club and maybe playing that much earlier.

Nobody knows what the knock on effect of such an incident is as it is unprecedented but if we had done the majority of work early on it would take a lot less to get them over the line too. All great in hindsight I know but it isn't a secret that we have needed serious reinforcements and the sooner the better many thought.

How is it any more insensitive than any other messages discussing transfers on here?

The club are discussing them in various interviews too. The Premier League insisting on the deadline remaining have forced that.

We would have all preferred the tragedy with Sala not to have happened but it goes hand in hand with any transfer discussion as it has had such an impact on things.
    My argument is the club should have had much more in place to get things over the line earlier whether this be running concurrent with the Sala deal or earlier.

Apologies if it came across as insensitive as it wasn't intended that way. My frustration is that we haven't got deals done in the first three weeks prior to Sala. The big advantage of this would be they would be in and around the club and maybe playing that much earlier.

Nobody knows what the knock on effect of such an incident is as it is unprecedented but if we had done the majority of work early on it would take a lot less to get them over the line too. All great in hindsight I know but it isn't a secret that we have needed serious reinforcements and the sooner the better many thought.
    We got as much done as almost any other club in the league up until that point. In fact I think at the point of signing Sala, we were the only club as well as Bournemouth who'd also signed 2 players? Why should we expect our club to be signing more when no-one else is? Do you not think other clubs want to strengthen too; or is it just that it's extremely difficult.

I'm not blaming the club; these are unprecedented times and the club has no control over people who simply don't want to come to Cardiff or to be embroiled in a relegation battle.

We got as much done as almost any other club in the league up until that point. In fact I think at the point of signing Sala, we were the only club as well as Bournemouth who'd also signed 2 players? Why should we expect our club to be signing more when no-one else is? Do you not think other clubs want to strengthen too; or is it just that it's extremely difficult.
    It could be argued we needed it more than anybody though. I can't think of any team in the top league that would be playing a centre half at right back as an example.

We'll see what happens today and we'll have to go with what we have from there but I would have liked to see a few more additions.

This happens every transfer window without fail, particularly in January. People say the club haven't done enough and haven't prepared.

I'll tell you what will be said next, as it also happens every transfer window. One club will do well with some signings and be held up as an example of what City should have done.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    If we go down, I have no expectation of us bouncing back up as there are about 20 other teams with that expectation.Look at Villa expected to bounce back up, 3 seasons later still hoping for a play off place !
    We all know we will lose our 1st pick midfield 3 in the summer if we go down never mind right back and striker !
    It's all about momentum which is tricky for a relegated side, and if you lose it, trouble usually isn't that far away. We went through a rough patch after our first OGS relegation, and we only started to built a bit of momentum after Warnock arrived, which in turn set us up for our promotion last season.