+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rail travel - a b1oody joke!

Rail travel - a b1oody joke!

So we should all be protecting the environment by taking the train.

Just looked at prices for a return journey from up here to C4rdf on Sat and with an old farts railcard £47.80 return.

The sooner we re-nationalise the railways and make travel affordable the better. I paid £34 for the Huddersfield trip which was cost neutral to driving now the bridge is free.

So if I do come down for the game on Sat I'll get the motor out spend £34 on diesel blowing all those micro-particulates out in the process and travelling at the times I want.

Also someone should be lobbying the WAG to get the valley lines electrified. Feck HS2.

I can never take this government seriously with all the Environmental blabla with some right stupid decisions.

Rant over.

Re: Rail travel - a b1oody joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post

Just looked at prices for a return journey from up here to C4rdf on Sat and with an old farts railcard £47.80 return.

The sooner we re-nationalise the railways and make travel affordable the better. I paid £34 for the Huddersfield trip which was cost neutral to driving now the bridge is free.

So if I do come down for the game on Sat I'll get the motor out spend £34 on diesel blowing all those micro-particulates out in the process and travelling at the times I want.

Also someone should be lobbying the WAG to get the valley lines electrified. Feck HS2.

I can never take this government seriously with all the Environmental blabla with some right stupid decisions.

Rant over.
    Flew up & back to Newcastle, admittedly the flight, admittedly the flight up on the Friday was £92 each but coming home it was £16 each....£108 return, I dread to think how much the train fare would have been.....and obviously the time taken factor. Rail fares are robbery without the mask.

International

That works out at about 20p/mile. With no stress from driving, ability to have a coffee/beer/whatever, arrive relaxed!

How much do you think it should cost?

Well having paid £34 for the Huddersfield game then £34 would be a good start. There will be space on the trains so why not fill them?

I've lived in Germany in the 80's and in Europe rail tickets generally cost less. I know now with the hike in season tickets that a lot of people normally commuting by rail are thinking of driving which is crazy. The government can't in one breath p1ss and moan about vehicle emissions and demonise diesels then crank up rail fares.

Yes I agree the train is more relaxing and you can have a sherbet and chillout but I'm now thinking I'll stay at home and watch the game on the telly despite having a match ticket. A 5.30 kick off doesn't help either as that means a fast walk back to get the 8.30 train to Paddington.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post

Rant over.
    Splitting your ticket at Swindon can take £10 to £15 off the cost.

I flew to Seville with the Mrs in December £80 return for the both of us.
    Train prices are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Splitting your ticket at Swindon can take £10 to £15 off the cost.
    thanks will check it out��

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I flew to Seville with the Mrs in December £80 return for the both of us.
    Train prices are ridiculous.
    Bonkers in it, the problem is that these train drivers hold these companies to ransom and somebody got to pay their extortionate wages

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Bonkers in it, the problem is that these train drivers hold these companies to ransom and somebody got to pay their extortionate wages
    Absolutely the train drivers had one of the best unions around in the seventies, and continually pushed their wages up. Good thing? Yes, but a train driver now earns more than a junior doctor, solicitor, bank manager.. I could go on, £50000 plus. Good for them obviously but train fares are appalling expensive compared to other countries and vastly inferior service.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Absolutely the train drivers had one of the best unions around in the seventies, and continually pushed their wages up. Good thing? Yes, but a train driver now earns more than a junior doctor, solicitor, bank manager.. I could go on, £50000 plus. Good for them obviously but train fares are appalling expensive compared to other countries and vastly inferior service.
    For god's sake your not going to blame the unions for the shambles created by privatisation.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    50k really ??? Add another 10 to 15 k and the very tasty pension burdens of many retired ones.

I'd absolutely love trains to come into public ownership, just as I'd like to see our energy and water supplies to also return.

Try the split ticketing websites. I used TrainSplit recently to travel to Reading peak time & halved the fare. Day return to Newport / Then Newport- Swindon / Swindon- Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul0453 View Post
    Try the split ticketing websites. I used TrainSplit recently to travel to Reading peak time & halved the fare. Day return to Newport / Then Newport- Swindon / Swindon- Reading.
    thanks, yes I've now got an option for about £33 which is great via Swindon and a little bit of messing about.