+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OTplumber question...

OTplumber question...

nothing to do with this cold weather snap by the way, just got a hot water tap issue ive noticed for a few months now that the hot water coming from the hot tap in the bath does not get hot, like piping hot like a bath tap should, the hot water from the sink tap in the bath room is piping also the hot tap in the kitchen...

ive w orcester combi boiler where i have switches i can turn up the temp on the radiators, and turn up the temp of the tap water... which i have tried and turned it up and the tap water i could barely touch but the bath tap water is the same luke warm... getting to the point where its not hot enough to bathe in, great for the kids but you know when you want a nice hot soak...no not happening

i know we have some guys in the industry on here, is there anything i can do to resolve this issue

Re: OTplumber question...

Is the Bath tap a Mixer tap ? ?

Is it a newish house ? ? ?

nope no mixer tap, unless theres some sort of mixing going on under the bath ?

not a new house, ex council house on cowbridge rd west ely

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    nope no mixer tap, unless theres some sort of mixing going on under the bath ?

not a new house, ex council house on cowbridge rd west ely
    Hmmm my first thought would have been the mixer tap was faulty, letting past too much cold water

then new builds have a " tmv valve " which regulates the water temp on the hot water tap, stops scalding yourself in a bath full of boiling water

Can you turn the Basin hot tap on till its boiling hot, turn on the Bath Hot slightly ( so its running fairly slow ) turn off the Basin Hot tap and see if the water is hot out of the bath tap ? ? ?, many years ago, had a customer who would only get hot water from the bath tap if the tap wasnt running that fast

will have a play around after a brew...

ironic is that the bath sink and the kitchen sink taps are mixer taps... but i dont have a issue with them

Is your cold Water pressure too high?

nothing to do with this cold weather snap by the way, just got a hot water tap issue ive noticed for a few months now that the hot water coming from the hot tap in the bath does not get hot, like piping hot like a bath tap should, the hot water from the sink tap in the bath room is piping also the hot tap in the kitchen...

ive w orcester combi boiler where i have switches i can turn up the temp on the radiators, and turn up the temp of the tap water... which i have tried and turned it up and the tap water i could barely touch but the bath tap water is the same luke warm... getting to the point where its not hot enough to bathe in, great for the kids but you know when you want a nice hot soak...no not happening

i know we have some guys in the industry on here, is there anything i can do to resolve this issue

The hot tap to the bath in your property will be supplied with a 22mm diameter pipe, the other outlets are 15mm, there is a big difference in the amount of water held in the pipes, the reason the bath one is cooler is because the boiler can't cope with heating the extra amount of water at the same pressure, unfortunately that's how combi boilers are. I'll warrant that like all of us you turn the bath tap fully on.

Try turning the flow rate down on the tap and it'll be the same temp as all other outlets, it's a pita but just means waiting a little longer for the bath to fill.

yeah tried this turning down the flow technique and it does work lol... yeah gonna take like 2 weeks to fill a bath but it got to the point where i could not hold my hand under the flow anymore as it got hot...

nice 1... might go run a bath now as ill need another next week ;)

yeah tried this turning down the flow technique and it does work lol... yeah gonna take like 2 weeks to fill a bath but it got to the point where i could not hold my hand under the flow anymore as it got hot...

it means the cold water is flowing through the boiler too quickly for the bath tap and its not heating up, you will have to find the flow rate that is quick and hot enough for your bath

cheers guys appreciate the help...

I know it's a right pain, I've got a 28kw combi and especially now with the incoming water being so cold, if I want a soak I'll just jump in while the hot is running with no cold added.