+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock: Strikers didn't want to come in after what happened...

Heisenberg

Warnock: Strikers didn't want to come in after what happened...

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...-disappearance

Not seen this posted yet.

I think there was a bit of debate on here regarding whether strikers would want to sign for us after what had happened and now Warnock seems to believe that it definitely effected recruitment in the forward department.

"One or two of the strikers we were talking about they didn't really want to come in the circumstances," Cardiff manager Warnock said ahead of Saturday's game against Bournemouth.

"They didn't want to come in after what's happened. So it's been a very difficult window."

Re: Warnock: Strikers didn't want to come in after what happened...

I can imagine it would be such a difficult situation really. But still you think someone would have fancied a chance in the premier league.

There are a number of issues at play :

Pressures of replacing Sala spot and failing.

Signing for a potential doomed club .

Pressure of being it's saviour.

Playing in Wales, not in a fashionable City like London or Manchester.

Warnock's ,not being everyone's cup of tea.

Our style and ability to supply .

Let's us not forget we went through this last January and signed Madine .

I'd look for short term experienced out contract type looking for a last pay day, pity we didn't take a punt on Crouch , perhaps we did and he didn't fancy it either .

We must accept we are not a desired number one choice club ,we need to sharpen up our scouting act ,Jack's did it ,why not us ???

Crouch my arse... would have been a terrible signing. I hope Ken get motivated and Niasse doesn't look to bad at all, I've got a feeling deep in my plums that we'll survive.

Money seems to be the biggest motivator in football these days I doubt players would’ve turned us down if we’d pay them what they wanted (dml in 1,2,3,.....)

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I'd look for short term experienced out contract type looking for a last pay day, pity we didn't take a punt on Crouch , perhaps we did and he didn't fancy it either .

We must accept we are not a desired number one choice club ,we need to sharpen up our scouting act ,Jack's did it ,why not us ???

How did Swansea, a football outpost in West Wales, recruit the players they did? How do clubs in East Anglia or those in North Yorkshire manage?
    We're two and a half hours from London, hardly in a remote location! Plus, Cardiff stacks up against almost any city in the UK when it comes to quality of life.

What nonsense, you always seem to like knocking Wales as if it is some kind of shit hole and nobody wants to live here

To be honest I do think most players coming to the U.K. would prefer to live in London if possible.

Cardiff is a great city but I doubt many foreign players know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    To be honest I do think most players coming to the U.K. would prefer to live in London if possible.

Then can we perhaps also assume that players who play in France would prefer to live in Paris or players who go to Germany would prefer to live in Berlin and so on and so on...?

No shit Sherlock but they can’t all play in London.

Burnley managed to attract a Belgian international with over 50 caps and that is one of the biggest shit holes in the UK.

Cardiff is a cosmopolitan city and it’s up to those at the club to sell that.

When Juninho and Ravanelli signed for Middlesbrough in the mid-'90s, they must have mistaken the town's transporter bridge for London Bridge. I mean, how else could you explain them joining a team outside of London or Manchester?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Then can we perhaps also assume that players who play in France would prefer to live in Paris or players who go to Germany would prefer to live in Berlin and so on and so on...?
    Yeah I think they do, but the difference is Paris has 1 huge clubs and 2 tiny ones so there isn’t the same choice as the 7 or 8 premier league clubs in London.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No shit Sherlock but they can’t all play in London.

Burnley managed to attract a Belgian international with over 50 caps and that is one of the biggest shit holes in the UK.

Cardiff is a cosmopolitan city and it’s up to those at the club to sell that.
    I didn’t say they all could but if If comes down to a toss up between London or elsewhere they’ll usually choose London.

Yeah I think they do, but the difference is Paris has 1 huge clubs and 2 tiny ones so there isn’t the same choice as the 7 or 8 premier league clubs in London.

Well, you do have a point about more choice in London. However, at the end of the day, I think it all boils down to the money on offer.

When Juninho and Ravanelli signed for Middlesbrough in the mid-'90s, they must have mistaken the town's transporter bridge for London Bridge. I mean, how else could you explain them joining a team outside of London or Manchester?
    No ones is saying players don’t sign for other clubs just that London is a big attraction for foreign players.

Even the Manchester clubs have struggled at times when there’s been a choice.

Well, you do have a point about more choice in London. However, at the end of the day, I think it all boils down to the money on offer.
    It definitely does but I’m saying if there money on offer is similar the London clubs have something else in their favour to sway the deal.

Am I alone in treating Warnock's comments with a depotful of gritting salt.

The failure to bring in a decent striker in the transfer window is unacceptable, even given the tragic circumstances. Surely the club had alternative strikers on a short list - and if the news stories of Sala being insured are true, money shouldn't have been a big issue. Even Vokes would have been acceptable - or Tosun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

The failure to bring in a decent striker in the transfer window is unacceptable, even given the tragic circumstances. Surely the club had alternative strikers on a short list - and if the news stories of Sala being insured are true, money shouldn't have been a big issue. Even Vokes would have been acceptable - or Tosun.
    Let's be honest - it should have happened in the Summer.

To be fair it was difficult given the circumstances and the timeline.

We couldn’t just go out and buy a striker the morning he went missing.

I think the thing that made it difficult was when did they start looking? Was buying another striker almost conceding that the lad was dead.

I think transfers are harder than we think too, there was a really good podcast this week which highlighted just how much work goes into a transfer.

I think the thing that made it difficult was when did they start looking? Was buying another striker almost conceding that the lad was dead.

I think transfers are harder than we think too, there was a really good podcast this week which highlighted just how much work goes into a transfer.
    Agree, the club were in a shitty position all round. It's up to Niasse, Reid and Zohore to perform for here and for Warnock to try and play to their strengths.

Fair enough with a striker but what about the midfield and defence

This is nonsense that doesn't apply to Cardiff, or any club really