+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Encouraged By Niasse.

Encouraged By Niasse.

Yesterdays performance was probably the first for me this season where positive individual performances were the main difference. We didn't have to rely on a world class goal (Wolves) (Leicester) Individual lapses in concentration(Southampton) or a total collapse of the opposition(Fulham) Maybe i'm being a little harsh with my assessment with those wins, obviously we did have players who performed during those games but not to the extent that i witnessed yesterday evening.

Bob has touched on the work rate in nullifying Clyne by Murphy, the wonder save from Etheridge and the fantastic Defending by Bamba etc and i agree, what gives me most satisfaction is that we did it as a team and there was some method to our win. The biggest factor for me was Niasse's ability to hold the ball up and stay on his feet. There were occasions when there was a fair bit of contact from the defender and he showed the strength to not only hold onto the ball but carry it five or ten yards in order to create a little bit of space and allow midfielders and reid to make those runs or add that bit of support to the man on the ball, something we haven't had for a long, long time. It really did change the dynamics of the play, it meant that when we were in possession we became a threat and in Reid we saw a player who was willing to run beyond Niasse. It also bought our midfield and defence those few seconds in order to regroup and keep their shape as the ball wasn't continuously coming back-It showed that by sliding the ball up to a players feet with the ability to hold onto it and allow others to feed of him, that we aren't that bad a football team. It's no coincidence that our midfield looked more composed even without Camarasa and Arter.

It's certainly not time to get carried away, there were still occasions when we gave the ball away cheaply and we don't really want to be defending as much as we are forced into doing, but the point is that everything looked so much better because for te first time since god knows we actually had a player with the ability to keep the ball and allow others that time ti make runs, re set themselves etc and allow Reid to play his natural game.

Question is why didn't we try and play this way with (Can't head the ball) Zohore? He's probably not as streetwise as Niasse and i do question his character at times, but he must've been sat on that bench yesterday thinking 'Kin'ell...... Anyway, great team performance.

Re: Encouraged By Niasse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yesterdays performance was probably the first for me this season where positive individual performances were the main difference. We didn't have to rely on a world class goal (Wolves) (Leicester) Individual lapses in concentration(Southampton) or a total collapse of the opposition(Fulham) Maybe i'm being a little harsh with my assessment with those wins, obviously we did have players who performed during those games but not to the extent that i witnessed yesterday evening.

Bob has touched on the work rate in nullifying Clyne by Murphy, the wonder save from Etheridge and the fantastic Defending by Bamba etc and i agree, what gives me most satisfaction is that we did it as a team and there was some method to our win. The biggest factor for me was Niasse's ability to hold the ball up and stay on his feet. There were occasions when there was a fair bit of contact from the defender and he showed the strength to not only hold onto the ball but carry it five or ten yards in order to create a little bit of space and allow midfielders and reid to make those runs or add that bit of support to the man on the ball, something we haven't had for a long, long time. It really did change the dynamics of the play, it meant that when we were in possession we became a threat and in Reid we saw a player who was willing to run beyond Niasse. It also bought our midfield and defence those few seconds in order to regroup and keep their shape as the ball wasn't continuously coming back-It showed that by sliding the ball up to a players feet with the ability to hold onto it and allow others to feed of him, that we aren't that bad a football team. It's no coincidence that our midfield looked more composed even without Camarasa and Arter.

It's certainly not time to get carried away, there were still occasions when we gave the ball away cheaply and we don't really want to be defending as much as we are forced into doing, but the point is that everything looked so much better because for te first time since god knows we actually had a player with the ability to keep the ball and allow others that time ti make runs, re set themselves etc and allow Reid to play his natural game.

Question is why didn't we try and play this way with (Can't head the ball) Zohore? He's probably not as streetwise as Niasse and i do question his character at times, but he must've been sat on that bench yesterday thinking 'Kin'ell...... Anyway, great team performance.
    His first touch was quite wayward at key moments but yes he was excellent overall.

We've had some shocking loan strikers over the years but he really seems up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    His first touch was quite wayward at key moments but yes he was excellent overall.

We've had some shocking loan strikers over the years but he really seems up for this.
    TBF he's well up for it ....... only once did I not see him chase a ball down and that was about 5 mins from the end.

He hasn't played for a while although I don't think he's renowned for his first touch ability! I was really encouraged how he 'stood up' under pressure very strong and a little bit of intelligence with the ball.

He is just what we've needed. An actual centre forward who can drag defenders all over the place and open up space for others. I can't wait to see us with him and Camarasa in the team, as usually we have opposition players swarming Camarasa. Niasse should drag those players off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    He is just what we've needed. An actual centre forward who can drag defenders all over the place and open up space for others. I can't wait to see us with him and Camarasa in the team, as usually we have opposition players swarming Camarasa. Niasse should drag those players off him.
    That was my point, you said it a lot quicker than i did! I'm not getting carried away, but it was just so nice to have that option, so important at this level. I shouted at Gunnar last night (i doubt he took any notice) for not playing a through ball that he had received from Niasse, when he had time on the ball to look up and make the pass-You don't know how happy that made me feel-Options!

That was my point, you said it a lot quicker than i did! I'm not getting carried away, but it was just so nice to have that option, so important at this level. I shouted at Gunnar last night (i doubt he took any notice) for not playing a through ball that he had received from Niasse, when he had time on the ball to look up and make the pass-You don't know how happy that made me feel-Options!
    Niasse, although not deemed good enough by Everton, has the intelligence and guile a team like us needs. Long may it continue.

Gunnarson playing a through ball.

Gunnarson playing a through ball.
    I know, stop it.......

I like him, works hard, puts himself about and makes things happen. And I hope he gets a goal soon so that's out of the way nice an early

He is better than expected, considering Everton have been trying to get rid of him for I dunno how long.

I know, stop it.......
    you mean like the one he set up the second goal for

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    you mean like the one he set up the second goal for
    The one Niasse assisted with, held the ball up. laid it off and Bosh! A Gunnar Special...

Definitely seems to have more of a strikers brain than Paterson

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Definitely seems to have more of a strikers brain than Paterson
    Think that’s a bit unfair. I think Paterson is playing above his level and did this by making clever decisions knowing when to back in or go down, ease off and make the runs. His brain is not the issue, it’s his feet. They’re not fast enough and struggle to get shots on target

I’d still take a team of 10 Callum Patersons though.

Niasse is Paterson with an extra few yards of pace

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I like him, works hard, puts himself about and makes things happen. And I hope he gets a goal soon so that's out of the way nice an early
    I think he’ll score against Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He is better than expected, considering Everton have been trying to get rid of him for I dunno how long.
    The only thing is how often have we seen Loan players to be world beaters and then drop the effort to about 1/5 once signed permenantly

Looked a bit short of confidence to me, be interesting once he scores to see if he kicks on.