+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: More sordid details & more fingers in the pie :(

More sordid details & more fingers in the pie :(

Re: More sordid details & more fingers in the pie :(

I heard someone say before last night's match that there has been one or two stories in the media saying that the reason that spending was lower in the January transfer window was exasperation with agents. I don't know how true that is, but, reading that, although there would be an initial expense in Premier League clubs setting up more professional recruitment structures which could lessen the impact agents have, there would be long term savings to be made - my main emotion on reading that piece is sadness.

It is a footballer's right if he decides to be represented by an agent. But, there again, why should a club have to pay these vultures their vastly extortionate fees? Sadly, football is being continually fleeced by these vultures who call themselves agents. Surely the day must come when these parasites are stopped once and for all from bringing football down to their level.

neither Sala's new club nor his previous one seemed willing to go many extra miles to make the fateful weekend of January 19/20 as straightforward as it might have been.
    What does that shit rag mean by that quote?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    neither Sala's new club nor his previous one seemed willing to go many extra miles to make the fateful weekend of January 19/20 as straightforward as it might have been.
    What does that shit rag mean by that quote?
    Wern't they referrjng to the flight arrangements?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Probably, although we don't know what Sala wanted to do, we don't know if that flight in that plane should not have happened, we don't know if flying in that plane in the conditions it flew in is standard, we don't know if Sala wanted to make his own arrangements because he's a big boy, we don't really know if either club offered alternative travel arrangements-We've had snippets and from what I've seen it does seem very odd but the reality is that we don't really know anything. I know that people are going to speculate, that's standard and some of it is wholly justified, but some of it is the equivalent to two nosey neighbours gossiping over the garden fence.

That was a dig at everyone involved, including City.
    Warnock had talked before the accident of the need for City putting a proper arrangement in place to scout and buy players, which many teams in the Premier already have, to save managers, chairmen flying all over Europe doing the job. Very prescient.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Probably, although we don't know what Sala wanted to do, we don't know if that flight in that plane should not have happened, we don't know if flying in that plane in the conditions it flew in is standard, we don't know if Sala wanted to make his own arrangements because he's a big boy, we don't really know if either club offered alternative travel arrangements-We've had snippets and from what I've seen it does seem very odd but the reality is that we don't really know anything. I know that people are going to speculate, that's standard and some of it is wholly justified, but some of it is the equivalent to two nosey neighbours gossiping over the garden fence.
    Do you think message boards should be banned, since they mostly consist of opinion, speculation and gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    It is a footballer's right if he decides to be represented by an agent. But, there again, why should a club have to pay these vultures their vastly extortionate fees? Sadly, football is being continually fleeced by these vultures who call themselves agents. Surely the day must come when these parasites are stopped once and for all from bringing football down to their level.
    I don't understand why the clubs have to pay agents. The agents represent the players, all of their fees should come out of the players' end.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't understand why the clubs have to pay agents. The agents represent the players, all of their fees should come out of the players' end.
    The club were looking for a player, and it seems as though the player wasn't looking for a club, but as mentioned elsewhere CCFC should be in a position where they can scout and negotiate their own deals.

The world of agents seems very murky, almost everyth8ng you hear about it isn’t very good. I expect that whole side of it to be cleaned up somehow in the next decade. So much cash floating about, it’s onlt going to attract the worst kind of people.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The world of agents seems very murky, almost everyth8ng you hear about it isn’t very good. I expect that whole side of it to be cleaned up somehow in the next decade. So much cash floating about, it’s onlt going to attract the worst kind of people.....
    Most depressing thing about that article is nothing surprises me.

However it seems clear the mckays (willie, mark, jack) were acting for nantes. Once the transfer had been completed what authority or responsibility did they have to be involved in things such as this flight?

If it was his own agent i could understand, but why were the agents acting on behalf of nantes involved in transporting a cardiff city player around after the transfer had been completed?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    ^^This.
    Spedger

Do you think message boards should be banned, since they mostly consist of opinion, speculation and gossip.
    That's a bit of a leap, isn't it? The odd thing is that people are all of a sudden trusting the Daily Mail as a credible source of information. If the same publication put out an article tomorrow swaying that Warnock was leaving for another club at the end of the season most on here would be saying that it's bollocks-No evidence etc-Maybe if the story suits the persons opinions then it gets through the check list. Nothing wrong with speculation, i just believe that you have to be careful with it. From where i'm sitting it seems that some people are enjoying this a bit to much.

That's a bit of a leap, isn't it? The odd thing is that people are all of a sudden trusting the Daily Mail as a credible source of information. If the same publication put out an article tomorrow swaying that Warnock was leaving for another club at the end of the season most on here would be saying that it's bollocks-No evidence etc-Maybe if the story suits the persons opinions then it gets through the check list. Nothing wrong with speculation, i just believe that you have to be careful with it. From where i'm sitting it seems that some people are enjoying this a bit to much.
    There have been many sources of information, even from some of those who were near to the event. I personally think we already have the "big picture" regarding what happened, and hopefully an ordered version will appear that will drill down into the specifics. I don't think anybody is enjoying it all. People are just trying to understand why such a senseless tradegy occured. If any wrongdoing is discovered, I hope steps will be taken to ensure that a similar event never happens again.

Really ? I can only speak for myself, but this tragedy and the natural speculation that follows, has been as far from enjoyable as can be imagined - and I'm guessing most others on here. Oh, and re. your earlier post in the thread, yes, that plane should not have been flying in those conditions..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Really ? I can only speak for myself, but this tragedy and the natural speculation that follows, has been as far from enjoyable as can be imagined - and I'm guessing most others on here. Oh, and re. your earlier post in the thread, yes, that plane should not have been flying in those conditions..
    The truth is that we don't know what happened, we may have an idea based on some of the information at hand but the reality is that a number of things could've happened and entering our own conclusions is simply guess work. In my opinion i'd say that it would be much more respectful towards the people who really have been affected by this awful event not to speculate, especially if the source is a toe rag publication that's main purpose is to shit stir and offer no solution or balance. I do think that some people get a macabre form of satisfaction over the speculation and 'who Dunnit' attitude that emanates from certain quarters of the press and 'informed' experts on the internet, it kind of gives them what they want to believe and enforces their views, when the reality is that we just don't know.

The truth is that we don't know what happened, we may have an idea based on some of the information at hand but the reality is that a number of things could've happened and entering our own conclusions is simply guess work. In my opinion i'd say that it would be much more respectful towards the people who really have been affected by this awful event not to speculate, especially if the source is a toe rag publication that's main purpose is to shit stir and offer no solution or balance. I do think that some people get a macabre form of satisfaction over the speculation and 'who Dunnit' attitude that emanates from certain quarters of the press and 'informed' experts on the internet, it kind of gives them what they want to believe and enforces their views, when the reality is that we just don't know.
    I acknowledge what you're getting at but the whole tragedy will bring into focus the shady business practices of football. It'll hopefully be the only good thing to come out of the whole tragedy.

Is it true that Paul Scholes didn’t use an agent? I’ve heard that through dressing room talk he more or less knew what the other lads were earning so when it was time for him to negotiate a new contract he and his Dad went in and sorted it out, admittedly he wasn’t involved in transfer negotiations but if it’s true he most probably saved a nice few bob in agents’ fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I acknowledge what you're getting at but the whole tragedy will bring into focus the shady business practices of football. It'll hopefully be the only good thing to come out of the whole tragedy.
    No problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is it true that Paul Scholes didn’t use an agent? I’ve heard that through dressing room talk he more or less knew what the other lads were earning so when it was time for him to negotiate a new contract he and his Dad went in and sorted it out, admittedly he wasn’t involved in transfer negotiations but if it’s true he most probably saved a nice few bob in agents’ fees.
    I'm pretty sure Paul Scholes had an agent, but Gary Neville didn't.

Neville is a very clever man and always was, and that's the difference between him and a large percentage of football players. As Neville himself said a few years, most players these days wouldn't know how to set up a bank account, much less negotiate a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm pretty sure Paul Scholes had an agent, but Gary Neville didn't.

Neville is a very clever man and always was, and that's the difference between him and a large percentage of football players. As Neville himself said a few years, most players these days wouldn't know how to set up a bank account, much less negotiate a contract.
    Ah, I thought I never dreamt it. Got my Man U players mixed up though.

We are bombarded with information every day from multiple sources regarding every topic imaginable. In the digital age, you have to learn how to order it, and make sense of it, otherwise you will be an easy victim for the propagandists. The fact is every provider of information is pushing a mixture of truth, ommision, and lies, depending on the topic at hand, and any agenda associated with it.

Regarding the topic of this thread, it is a global news event, albeit one a little closer to home, and you will find that people everywhere have been discussing it in great depth.