+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Most boring thread of 2019: working standing up

Most boring thread of 2019: working standing up

My employer moves into a new-build today but I don't work Mondays and tomorrow will be my first day of being able to work at a fancy desk that can be raised in order to work standing up, which I am keen to try out. Have any of you had the opportunity to do the same and, if so, are their any drawbacks if one doesn't have existing back problems?

Re: Most boring thread of 2019: working standing up

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My employer moves into a new-build today but I don't work Mondays and tomorrow will be my first day of being able to work at a fancy desk that can be raised in order to work standing up, which I am keen to try out. Have any of you had the opportunity to do the same and, if so, are their any drawbacks if one doesn't have existing back problems?
    Been trying to get one of these desks for the last 2 years. Due to a long term back injury it was identified during an assdessment that I needed one, but my "public sector" orgasnisation are a bit slow in supplying the goods.

We spent a fortune on height adjustable desks and gave everyone who wanted one the option. The novelty lasted around 3 months and we ended up getting rid of them. Out of the dozen or so we bought not one is still in use. For what it's worth we had around 5 or 6 different styles of chairs and most of those have gone as well.

From my experience, I'd tell your company to invest their money in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    We spent a fortune on height adjustable desks and gave everyone who wanted one the option. The novelty lasted around 3 months and we ended up getting rid of them. Out of the dozen or so we bought not one is still in use. For what it's worth we had around 5 or 6 different styles of chairs and most of those have gone as well.

From my experience, I'd tell your company to invest their money in a different way.
    It's all done and dusted. Every desk in the new-build (hundreds thereof) are of such a design (and hot-desking has been introduced in order to have fewer work stations all round).
    By the way, why were yours got rid of? Were they not able to lowered at the touch of a button and used as a conventional desk with a chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Been trying to get one of these desks for the last 2 years. Due to a long term back injury it was identified during an assdessment that I needed one, but my "public sector" orgasnisation are a bit slow in supplying the goods.
    Contact your HR department, my friend.

Contact your HR department, my friend.
    Yes, tried several times. Strangely enough, I do feel a claim coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Yes, tried several times. Strangely enough, I do feel a claim coming.
    I would drop a line to your Chief Exec if HR aren't doing their job.

I had a colleague in the state's who switched to standing desks, who absolutely raves about it, he said it took a good few weeks to get used to it though

I’m working on getting one for work through the H&S dept. I’m a programmer so I sit down all day and I’ve started getting problems with my lower legs. Tried adjusting the chair etc. but nothing helps. Would be great to be able to alternate between sitting and standing to alleviate the pressure on my legs.

No disadvantages. If nothing else, you can set it at the correct height while sitting which makes a big difference. I have a slipped disc and it’s a must for me. But loads of people with no medical need use them in my office too, and ever single one of them adjusts it or uses it to stand for a few hours or whatever. They are great.

We've had them for years and it's hard to imagine not having them now. I stand and sit for about an equal amount of time I reckon. Definitely have less back aches than before. Research has proved they how good they are for your health.

This thread has led me to realise that my true talent is the ability to sit down, more or less constantly, suffering no I'll effects whatsoever. Years of rigourous training in front of the TV have led me to this position. I even knocked out 2 12 hour flights to Hong Kong recently without even getting up for a piss.
    All that remains is for me to campaign for sitting to become an Olympic sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Free trips to exotic places? I think it would do their staff some good to get away every now and again.