+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body found breaking news

Body found breaking news

RIP, so sad.

Re: Body found breaking news

Body found in wreckage of plane carrying Emiliano Sala and pilot

The AAIB have confirmed one body is visible in the plane wreckage

A body has been found amid the wreckage of the plane that was carrying Cardiff City striker Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson.

Wreckage of the missing plane was found in the English Channel on Sunday morning just hours after underwater searches of the seabed had been launched.

The UK Air Accident Investigation Branch confirmed: "Tragically, in video footage from the ROV (remotely operated vehicle), one occupant is visible amidst the wreckage. The AAIB is now considering the next steps, in consultation with the families of the pilot and passenger, and the police."

More: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rying-15775965

How many more cruel twists has this story got?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    How many more cruel twists has this story got?
    I think there was always a high chance that one or perhaps both of the occupants wouldn't have been able to evacuate the plane on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think there was always a high chance that one or perhaps both of the occupants wouldn't have been able to evacuate the plane on impact.
    I understand that but if only 1 of 2 is in the plane, one family will still not have closure. I hope both are there.

I understand that but if only 1 of 2 is in the plane, one family will still not have closure. I hope both are there.
    Likewise. It's the not knowing as much as anything else at this stage. If it wasn't immediately obvious there is a body on board, it suggests a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Likewise. It's the not knowing as much as anything else at this stage. If it wasn't immediately obvious there is a body on board, it suggests a passenger.
    Purely speculation but the door was towards the rear, behind the wing.

It doesn’t state if the visible body is in the front or just behind does it? I don’t know what’s worse, the thought Sala died in the crash or maybe he got out and froze in the sea.....I guess you can only hope they have a body to bury for the families.

Whenever I've flown this type of flight (UK to Ireland) as s single passenger, I've always sat in the co-pilot seat. I don't know whether that's common practise but no-one has ever said anything different.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It doesn’t state if the visible body is in the front or just behind does it? I don’t know what’s worse, the thought Sala died in the crash or maybe he got out and froze in the sea.....I guess you can only hope they have a body to bury for the families.
    Fair point. I was assuming the passenger would not be sat up front with the pilot. Looking at the aircraft damage, it does suggest the plane flipped on contact with the sea. But that's one for the experts.

International

When did you look at the damage?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    When did you look at the damage?
    Image of the plane is on the BBC website.

It’s not clear though, obv some damage, maybe he tried to land on the sea? I guess the experts will be able to tell

And comparing the damage with the video of the same aircraft on David Henderson talking about his life as a ferry pilot BBC video, it would appear that the planes' door is open from the seabed image. I'd always assumed (incorrectly) that pilot and passengers get onboard at the front. The door is behind the planes' wing. The pilot then has to squeeze between the passenger seats to reach the controls. So....could be either on board. AAIB might not attempt to raise the aircraft. Families are being consulted as to what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s not clear though, obv some damage, maybe he tried to land on the sea? I guess the experts will be able to tell
    Based on where it came down it ditched at sea and is now 67m down. That's enough water pressure to deform the aircraft in itself.

International

The only pic I can see is the one showing the aircraft in the water the right way up. Where is the picture showing the flip, I'd like to view it?

Whenever I've flown this type of flight (UK to Ireland) as s single passenger, I've always sat in the co-pilot seat. I don't know whether that's common practise but no-one has ever said anything different.
    I guess if there are only 2 on board it helps to keep the aircraft trim when sat side by side. Plus you might get to have a go at the controls in straight and level flight.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The only pic I can see is the one showing the aircraft in the water the right way up. Where is the picture showing the flip, I'd like to view it?
    I was suggesting the plane may have flipped on contact with the water causing damage to the tail. Or tail damage could have been caused by waves or water pressure on sinking. One for the AIIB. Clearly there is damage though.

Normally when an oldish private aircraft crashes the passenger door will fail to open due to structural damage on impact. That situation has been remedied on more recent aircraft of this type. Unless the plane has broken up there will be no escape so both bodies are probably still onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Normally when an oldish private aircraft crashes the passenger door will fail to open due to structural damage on impact. That situation has been remedied on more recent aircraft of this type. Unless the plane has broken up there will be no escape so both bodies are probably still onboard.
    Emiliano-Sala-plane-wreckage-footage-1722266.jpg

From this image, there is what appears to be an open door. Difficult to say for sure whether it had been opened or if the impact of the crash has done that...

It looks like the Sala family want the aircraft to be recovered, so that they can learn about the cause of the accident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47118340

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It looks like the Sala family want the aircraft to be recovered, so that they can learn about the cause of the accident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47118340
    I hope that is technically feasible given the damage and the depth. However, if it was icing, raising the aircraft will not provide direct evidence. Someone will have to make that call. Recovering the body should be the first priority, at this stage.

The horror they both must have gone through in their last moments is unimaginable. Such a devastating way to leave this world.