+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emiliano Sala Memorial Trophy

Emiliano Sala Memorial Trophy

I think Cardiff City and FC Nantes should become much closer. We're both from Celtic nations and now have an even stronger bond, united in grief. Perhaps the two teams could play each other in an annual match during pre-season, one year in Cardiff and the next in Nantes and so on.

Re: Emiliano Sala Memorial Trophy

Gate receipts to go to the family maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    I think Cardiff City and FC Nantes should become much closer. We're both from Celtic nations and now have an even stronger bond, united in grief. Perhaps the two teams could play each other in an annual match during pre-season, one year in Cardiff and the next in Nantes and so on.
    Good idea, even invite a team or two and make a mini competition pre season thing....I’m sure there would be plenty of takers

I'm not sure how much is done after your City becomes twinned but a very, very small positive out of this tragedy could be becoming closer to Nantes and this friendly game could help do that.

Families... Yes, great idea

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'm not sure how much is done after your City becomes twinned but a very, very small positive out of this tragedy could be becoming closer to Nantes and this friendly game could help do that.
    Business leaders and local concillors get to go on a jolly to the relevant "twinned" City.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Good idea, even invite a team or two and make a mini competition pre season thing....I’m sure there would be plenty of takers
    Yes you always see these pre season tournaments ,could call it the Celtic Loire-Atlantique tournament ,great shout /idea Goats and Alan

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes you always see these pre season tournaments ,could call it the Celtic Loire-Atlantique tournament ,great shout /idea Goats and Alan
    Is this thread serious? Or is everyone messing around? It's difficult to tell.

The club's and supporters' response to the tragedy has been poignant and heartfelt. Let's not jump on the 21st Century football sentimentality train ..

Or we move on, which is what I suspect will happen.

These ideas of tournaments etc, whilst very romantic won't be so appealing if we got relegated twice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Well, you did read it on the internet.

Would you object to an annual pre season game between the 2 clubs where any gate money went to a charity? If so, you could always boycott it. You’re an expert at that.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Would you object to an annual pre season game between the 2 clubs where any gate money went to a charity? If so, you could always boycott it. You’re an expert at that.
    He’s brutal isn’t he? The profiler within me says the fbi should take a look, not the same kettle of fish as mr h, a more sophisticated type.

He’s brutal isn’t he? The profiler within me says the fbi should take a look, not the same kettle of fish as mr h, a more sophisticated type.
    To be fair, maybe a one off at the start of next season, but an annual event? I don't think it would work. We couldn't even sell more than 6,000 tickets for the testimonial of one of the clubs favourite players a couple of season ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Well, you did read it on the internet.
    I’ve gathered data from several sources and reached the conclusion that they’re serious.

I don’t object to anything. However, I do believe the alleged bond between the two clubs is a myth.

Wrong country, goats. We’re not in America.

Wrong country, goats. We’re not in America.
    Not the 53rd state yet? Almost

I don’t object to anything. However, I do believe the alleged bond between the two clubs is a myth.
    Relations between the two clubs may not be too bad at the moment, but it seems to me that there is a potential for litigation in many facets of the Sala tragedy and so that situation could change in the future.

Well now. Nobody’s suggested that fans from both clubs are writing love letters to each other. But even a bitter ex fan like you can see a connection has been made through a tragedy.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 05-02-19 at 11:25. Reason: Spelling

Well now. Nobody’s suggested that fans from both clubs are writing love letters to each other. But even a bitter ex fan like you can see a connection has been made through a tragedy.
    Has it? Really? Do you genuinely believe fans of Nantes now have some kind of affinity for Cardiff City? If so, what leads you to that conclusion?

Has it? Really? Do you genuinely believe fans of Nantes now have some kind of affinity for Cardiff City? If so, what leads you to that conclusion?
    Just jumping in on this. I've certainly seen a lot of good will messages online and social media from Nantes fans, sharing pics and videos with footage from the Arsenal and Bournemouth games and the like.
    Obviously their mourning is completely different to ours but I still think there has been some sort of shared grieving between Nantes and Cardiff fans.
    I've posted on some Nantes forums and have had a few fans contact me on Social Media and various conversations how sad it has all been.

Whilst I expect it to die down in due course I still believe there will be some sort of lasting link.

Ouch.😂

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Just jumping in on this. I've certainly seen a lot of good will messages online and social media from Nantes fans, sharing pics and videos with footage from the Arsenal and Bournemouth games and the like.
    Obviously their mourning is completely different to ours but I still think there has been some sort of shared grieving between Nantes and Cardiff fans.
    I've posted on some Nantes forums and have had a few fans contact me on Social Media and various conversations how sad it has all been.

Whilst I expect it to die down in due course I still believe there will be some sort of lasting link.
    Thanks. So, basically, we’ve seen a bit of social media interaction between what in reality is a tiny percentage of the respective fanbases, which is no surprise at all given the circumstances. But can that really be described as a genuine bond?

As TOBW suggests, it will be interesting to see how the relationship between the two clubs develops in the coming months as their financial considerations move to the forefront and the realities of how this tragedy came about become more apparent.