+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aaron Bolger to Cardiff on loan

Aaron Bolger to Cardiff on loan

I have never heard of this lad but there are news reports just appearing that he has come to Cardiff from Shamrock Rovers on loan (loan period not specified yet).

He seems to be a highly regarded midfielder - aged 18 or 19 depending on which report you read - and is part of the Ireland u21 squad.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...rdiff-on-loan/

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/...-cardiff-city/

https://www.the42.ie/aaron-bolger-ca...76142-Feb2019/

This looks like a first team addition, not u23/DVP - and presumably can be used on top of the 25 because of his age?

International

Re: Aaron Bolger to Cardiff on loan

Any decent player who can play without being part of the 25 must be considered an asset, even if only in case of injury/suspension of first choice players. Bring 'em all in lol

Sounds an interesting addition. Presumably was signed before the deadline tho. Nothing on the Club's website.

Here's an interesting article. May be a "Warnock type player" whatever that may be!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...olger-12463552

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...olger-13951314

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/sham...signs-15778883

I'm impressed by this move. Left-field and shows the club have been doing more work behind the scenes than was obvious.

Most of the reports say the same thing about him - and he sounds like a Warnock type player. He is a down to earth defensive midfielder with a fair bit of first team experience in the League Of Ireland (that has produced so many EPL successes) and may be looked at as a Gunnar replacement? I imagine he will turn out for our u23s but be seen as a 25+1 signing who could be brought into the senior squad before the end of the season?

I like this from the42 report:

Bolger, who sat his Leaving Cert last summer, was named U17 International Player of the Year at last year’s FAI International Awards and has been an international at various underage levels for Ireland.

Manager Bradley has heaped praise on the young player since breaking into Rovers’ senior team midway through the 2016 campaign, with Bolger highlighted as a tough-tackling enforcer in the middle of the park.

“He can tackle, he can play, he just needs to add goals to his game and he would be very close to a complete midfielder,” Bradley said speaking last season after a 3-0 victory over Cork City.

“He’s a throwback to the players who just want to play. He doesn’t look at or care about who he’s playing against, he doesn’t care what colour boots he has or how he looks. He just wants to go and be the best player on the pitch.”

International

Does the deadline apply if the player is a, from a foreign FA and b, under the 25 man squad registration age?
    I
    i didn't think it did but that means feck all, I don't know much!

Maybe someone can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...olger-13951314

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/sham...signs-15778883

I'm impressed by this move. Left-field and shows the club have been doing more work behind the scenes than was obvious.

Most of the reports say the same thing about him - and he sounds like a Warnock type player. He is a down to earth defensive midfielder with a fair bit of first team experience in the League Of Ireland (that has produced so many EPL successes) and may be looked at as a Gunnar replacement? I imagine he will turn out for our u23s but be seen as a 25+1 signing who could be brought into the senior squad before the end of the season?

I like this from the42 report:

Bolger, who sat his Leaving Cert last summer, was named U17 International Player of the Year at last year’s FAI International Awards and has been an international at various underage levels for Ireland.

Manager Bradley has heaped praise on the young player since breaking into Rovers’ senior team midway through the 2016 campaign, with Bolger highlighted as a tough-tackling enforcer in the middle of the park.

“He can tackle, he can play, he just needs to add goals to his game and he would be very close to a complete midfielder,” Bradley said speaking last season after a 3-0 victory over Cork City.

“He’s a throwback to the players who just want to play. He doesn’t look at or care about who he’s playing against, he doesn’t care what colour boots he has or how he looks. He just wants to go and be the best player on the pitch.”
    Jeez look at the shape on him! Legs are as thick as his head and a centre of gravity about an inch off the floor.

Not going to win many in the air but I bet he's hard to shake off the ball.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-loan-15779021

Shamrock boss Bradley said of Bolger: “He’s a nasty little f****r! He can do a bit of everything.

“He can tackle, he can play, he just needs to add goals to his game and he would be very close to a complete midfielder.

“He just doesn’t care, Aaron. He doesn’t see the players he’s playing against, he doesn’t see any of their players and think ‘oh’.

“He’s playing against three players who have won leagues, are obviously a lot older, have a lot more experience and he’s 18."

Bolger has played in the same Republic of Ireland Under-17s side — that reached the quarter-finals of the U17 European Championships in May last year — as Tottenham Hotspur wonderkid Troy Parrott and Manchester United's Lee O'Connor.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Does the deadline apply if the player is a, from a foreign FA and b, under the 25 man squad registration age?
    I
    i didn't think it did but that means feck all, I don't know much!

Maybe someone can tell us.
    The transfer windows are essentially the "when you can register a new player" window. You can sign someone outside of a window but you cannot register them with the FA/Premier League until the window opens. Adrien Silva for Leicester is the best example of this... The transfer went through seconds after the window closed and that meant Leicester were unable to register him until the next window.

This new player may also be under the registration age for Premier League games, but he would need to also be 'homegrown' to qualify under the rules. As he wouldn't have spent at least 3 years at a team in England (Welsh teams competing in the pyramid also count towards this) between the ages of 16 and 21, he wouldn't be allowed to play in the Premier League.

I hope I explained that clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The transfer windows are essentially the "when you can register a new player" window. You can sign someone outside of a window but you cannot register them with the FA/Premier League until the window opens. Adrien Silva for Leicester is the best example of this... The transfer went through seconds after the window closed and that meant Leicester were unable to register him until the next window.

This new player may also be under the registration age for Premier League games, but he would need to also be 'homegrown' to qualify under the rules. As he wouldn't have spent at least 3 years at a team in England (Welsh teams competing in the pyramid also count towards this) between the ages of 16 and 21, he wouldn't be allowed to play in the Premier League.

I hope I explained that clearly
    Oh well..... shame. But he can play in the development/u23 fixtures?

Heisenberg

Yeah. To me, this sounds like a paid trial where we will cover his wages and possibly a "loan" fee until the end of the season while we take a closer look at him in the development team.

There is something on the Sky Sports Transfer Centre about a young Blackpool player joining Derby on loan and that is also dated today. Perhaps Youth loans(and Bolger may come under this heading) are allowed outside of the window.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    There is something on the Sky Sports Transfer Centre about a young Blackpool player joining Derby on loan and that is also dated today. Perhaps Youth loans(and Bolger may come under this heading) are allowed outside of the window.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/s...side-1-9575136

It'll be the same as Bolger in that he won't be able to play for the senior side as they wouldn't be able to register him with the Football League after the window had closed.

Wouldn't be surprised if Shamrock Rover's DoF had a hand in this move, it's Steve McPhail.

International

Clear as mud I'll take it at a 'no'. lol

The Irish Times are saying the transfer went through before the deadline on Thursday but has only just been announced. Also that it is a loan to the end of the season.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...loan-1.3781827

Hopefully that is right, although I can't understand why it wasn't made public earlier if the deadline was met.

Shamrock Rovers have announced that their young midfielder Aaron Bolger has signed for Cardiff City on loan until the end of the season. The move apparently went through before Thursday’s transfer deadline but was not made public at the time.

The teenager – he turned 19 on Saturday – has been in and around the first team for more than two years while also featuring last year for the Under-19 side that made the final of the National League. With the club having added Jack Byrne and Aaron McEneff to an already strong group of midfielders, it seemed likely that he would not get so many first-team opportunities in the coming year and the hope is that a spell in a Premier League underage set-up will better help his continued development.

There does not seem to be any commitment by Cardiff to buy him in the summer but clearly he should get the chance to persuade them that he is worth investing in.

A couple of observations- fair play to him for joining us at a time when there has been a lot of negative publicity about Cardiff City at Acsdemy/DVP level. Also he is being described on here as a typical Warnock player. If he does stay and does come good it will probably be in a post Warnock era. Still, a good player is a good player so good luck to him and us in developing him. All the press write ups are favourable and he doesn’t seem to be related to an agent which has to be a good thing as well.

I've heard he's the next Roy Keane.

This is the sort of deal we should be making more of and, hopefully, it will be the start of a gradual overhaul of what is an aging first team squad.

Looking forward to seeing him play for the Development team.

I'm not so sure about loaning young players. He is here to improve his game and if, or as soon as, that happens he will be attracting offers from better teams or will cost us a lot more to buy. What's in it for us? I would prefer the club to take a chance on promising young players by buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm not so sure about loaning young players. He is here to improve his game and if, or as soon as, that happens he will be attracting offers from better teams or will cost us a lot more to buy. What's in it for us? I would prefer the club to take a chance on promising young players by buying them.
    I think it makes more sense to have him on loan. Even if we bought him outright first, Shamrock Rovers would try and rinse us, as they would any Premier League club who came knocking.
    At least having him train with us and playing in the Development team will give us a better idea of his worth.

Shamrock boss Bradley said of Bolger: “He’s a nasty little f****r!

“He can tackle, he can play, he just needs to add goals to his game and he would be very close to a complete midfielder.

“He just doesn’t care, Aaron. He doesn’t see the players he’s playing against, he doesn’t see any of their players and think ‘oh’.

“He’s playing against three players who have won leagues, are obviously a lot older, have a lot more experience and he’s 18."

Bolger has played in [/COLOR][/QUOTE]