Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liam Neeson

Liam Neeson

Re: Liam Neeson

Sounds like one of his films.

Idiot

Some thoughts are better left inside one's head.

Reading the interview he’s completely f*cked himself. He apologises because revenge and killing are bad, he doesn’t seem to realise the fact that any black person would do is the real issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Some thoughts are better left inside one's head.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Reading the interview he’s completely f*cked himself. He apologises because revenge and killing are bad, he doesn’t seem to realise the fact that any black person would do is the real issue here.
    Yes, a spectacular own goal, he obviously isn't familiar with the law of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Qui-Gon Jinn has been lured to the Dark Side, fkin idiot.

Stupid example to give but it does seem to be wrapped up in a comparison to The Troubles in Northern Ireland too which is perhaps being missed in response to his comments.

Not like the internet to take his words out of context

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not like the internet to take his words out of context
    Really? Don’t want to be a knob but what am I missing out of this:

“But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.”

This

“I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

And this

"It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that. And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid.
    "It's awful. But I did learn a lesson from it."

"I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that.“

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Stupid example to give but it does seem to be wrapped up in a comparison to The Troubles in Northern Ireland too which is perhaps being missed in response to his comments.
    I must be missing something then because I don’t understand how that would justify it.

I did find the "what colour ,was he " question , very strange.

Sound like an old man losing the plot , or perhaps slightly inebriated at the time of the interview , these actors/actresses at times , do let there egos run away with them.

Really? Don’t want to be a knob but what am I missing out of this:

“But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.”

This

“I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

And this

"It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that. And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid.
    "It's awful. But I did learn a lesson from it."

"I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that.“
    He is a 67 year old man talking about a previous time / era, one where certain prejudices were more commonplacd, and one in which he acknowledges it was wrong hence him says he is ashamed and learned lessons from it.

See I don’t think he does say that but I can see why it could be interpreted that way.

As for a different era I’m not sure it’s an excuse to want to kill any black guy because of the actions of another.

I am in no way trying to justify Neesons actions or attitude at the time in question, but he could have kept that to himself, and nobody would Have been any the wiser.
    It has probably bothered his consience all these yrs, and he’s obviously embarrassed and disgusted with himself.

That’s the thing and maybe he got the apology part of it a bit wrong.

I think people are so up in arms about it because the whole blame a whole race because of the actions of one is a bad thing to do that keeps happening.

Twitter, facebook, etc. People spend their lives on there and 'celebrities' are the worst. What sad lives they have behind the public facade..

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He is a 67 year old man talking about a previous time / era, one where certain prejudices were more commonplacd, and one in which he acknowledges it was wrong hence him says he is ashamed and learned lessons from it.
    agreed, different times, back then different things were acceptable to some people

Sounds like Liam is repenting, he is Catholic isnt he

this made me chuckle though, I find Romesh funny as hell

The different time thing is a bollocks excuse surely, it’s never been ok to want to go out and murder a random black man because someone has raped one of your friends.

Are people reading a different interview to me? He’s “repenting” about wanting revenge not about the fact he wanted to kill a black man isn’t he?

Liam Neeson is a brave man. He's admitted to something in his past that he's not proud of. That much is clear if you read the whole interview. Why can't people take it for what it is?

Anyway, we're all guilty of prejudice - Unconscious Bias and Implicit Stereotyping. It's in all of us. It's part of our evolution and therefore in our genes.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Liam Neeson is a brave man. He's admitted to something in his past that he's not proud of. That much is clear if you read the whole interview. Why can't people take it for what it is?

Anyway, we're all guilty of prejudice - Unconscious Bias and Implicit Stereotyping. It's in all of us. It's part of our evolution and therefore in our genes.
    Must admit that what you say in your first paragraph is what I thought on first hearing this story.

Agree with your second paragraph as well.

The first part is what I want to see it as, but reading the interview that way that’s not how it’s come across at all. I think he can be giving the benefit of the doubt and maybe he didn’t get his point across properly.

The second point I think we are all guilty of bias and stereotyping. But I don’t think going out to kill any black man after someone has raped a friend falls into that.

The second point I think we are all guilty of bias and stereotyping. But I don’t think going out to kill any black man after someone has raped a friend falls into that.
    No, it doesn't - and just to be clear I'm not saying it is the same thing. But if we are all fundamentally biased, it's now wonder the world is in the state it's in.

No, it doesn't - and just to be clear I'm not saying it is the same thing. But if we are all fundamentally biased, it's now wonder the world is in the state it's in.
    Yeah I completely agree, I think it’s important to know that and to try and get over the unconcious bias where’s possible.