+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liam Neeson

Re: Liam Neeson

im walking up and down with a cosh waiting for liam neeson to come out of a pub...

Lesson to be learnt in this era :
    Avoid honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Liam Neeson is a brave man. He's admitted to something in his past that he's not proud of. That much is clear if you read the whole interview. Why can't people take it for what it is?

Anyway, we're all guilty of prejudice - Unconscious Bias and Implicit Stereotyping. It's in all of us. It's part of our evolution and therefore in our genes.
    But he is confessing in 2019. He should have known better being a high profile person, that he would get shredded by media commentators and the internet hordes. Claiming any action as being historic is no longer a valid defense. Lives can be destroyed by a mere allegation these days. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the way it is. We are now living in a highly politicised world where change takes precedence over all else. Any indiscretions past or present will be punished, even if they only exist in people's imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    But he is confessing in 2019. He should have known better being a high profile person, that he would get shredded by media commentators and the internet hordes. Claiming any action as being historic is no longer a valid defense. Lives can be destroyed by a mere allegation these days. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the way it is. We are now living in a highly politicised world where change takes precedence over all else.
    You are, I'm not sure we all are though - maybe we should pay less attention to "media commentators and the internet hordes"?

Again the easiest way to avoid this sort of backlash is not being racist. I don’t think it being 30 or 40 years ago is a valid excuse for this.

I find it weird that so many people rush to defend people in these instances. He’s in the wrong, even if you think his apology was a valid one.

Yes some people have been shamed when they shouldn’t have been, I don’t think this is one of those instances.

The one thing about this is that he’s not said this years ago and for some reason it’s been disclosed by an unknown person with him having to make a retrospective apology.

He’s been honest in that due to a horrific violent assault on someone he cared about he was filled with a primeval rage and his thought process was shaken. He had abhorrent thoughts on which he relflected on and thought ‘nah this was totally out of order and I’m ashamed’

Liked him before this, like him even more for his honesty, humanity and humility.

I tell you what although the highly political world exits in the media ,it's certainly doesn't exist in the outside social environment .

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Again the easiest way to avoid this sort of backlash is not being racist. I don’t think it being 30 or 40 years ago is a valid excuse for this.

I find it weird that so many people rush to defend people in these instances. He’s in the wrong, even if you think his apology was a valid one.

Yes some people have been shamed when they shouldn’t have been, I don’t think this is one of those instances.
    Racism was common at football matches in the 70’s, but it wasn't viewed in the same way as it is now. The police didn't go around arresting everybody. Same with humour about sexual identity and mother-in-law jokes, acceptable then but taboo now. Times change, and mostly for the better, but should we be judging historical events by today's standards? Sure, you can say it was wrong, but our social history is littered with behaviour that wouldn't be acceptable today.

Racism was common at football matches in the 70’s, but it wasn't viewed in the same way as it is now. Same with humour about sexual identity and mother-in-law jokes, acceptable then but taboo now. Times change, and mostly for the better, but should we be judging historical events by today's standards? Sure, you can say it was wrong, but our social history is littered with behaviour that wouldn't be acceptable today.
    I completely get where you’re coming from but I think walking about looking to kill someone is a step above any of that.

I laughed at and made plenty of racist jokes when I was a kid. Well into my 20s I was in the “it’s only a joke how can that be an issue” mindset.

Maybe he didn’t get his apology across right in the interview but still I think he’s rightly getting a lot of stick for this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    im walking up and down with a cosh waiting for liam neeson to come out of a pub...
    Or anyone called Liam really...

Racism was common at football matches in the 70’s, but it wasn't viewed in the same way as it is now. The police didn't go around arresting everybody. Same with humour about sexual identity and mother-in-law jokes, acceptable then but taboo now. Times change, and mostly for the better, but should we be judging historical events by today's standards? Sure, you can say it was wrong, but our social history is littered with behaviour that wouldn't be acceptable today.
    ^^ this

Different times , different social standards ( though it was never acceptable to kill someone ) but back then racism was the norm to some

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Or anyone called Liam really...
    Gallagher ???

deffo lol

Yup. This ^^^^. Just look at the #MeToo movement.

Interesting my, John Barnes has said in an interview that Neeson should get a medal for what he said. Said we are ALL racist to some degree.

I completely get where you’re coming from but I think walking about looking to kill someone is a step above any of that.

I laughed at and made plenty of racist jokes when I was a kid. Well into my 20s I was in the “it’s only a joke how can that be an issue” mindset.

Maybe he didn’t get his apology across right in the interview but still I think he’s rightly getting a lot of stick for this.
    Saying you want to kill someone and actually meaning it or going through with it are two completely different things.

I think he’s over egged it to try and demonstrate how angry he felt but it’s come out all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Saying you want to kill someone and actually meaning it or going through with it are two completely different things.

I think he’s over egged it to try and demonstrate how angry he felt but it’s come out all wrong.
    Wasn't he also promoting a film that had a similar theme about revenge?

Wasn't he also promoting a film that had a similar theme about revenge?
    Isn’t that the plot for all his films ?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I think people are missing the issue here, his friend was raped so he went looking for any black person.

The issue here isn’t the rage it’s that he went looking for any black person. If his friend had said a white person had done it what we he had done?

If we heard a Muslim or a black person say “I was hoping for any white bastard to attack me so I could kill them” would we be patting them on the back for being brave?

Just read this on it, and think it’s a good summary of the whole thing:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commenti...mpression=true

I think people are missing the issue here, his friend was raped so he went looking for any black person.

The issue here isn’t the rage it’s that he went looking for any black person. If his friend had said a white person had done it what we he had done?

If we heard a Muslim or a black person say “I was hoping for any white bastard to attack me so I could kill them” would we be patting them on the back for being brave?
    I'm pretty sure there'd be a lot less empathy if a Muslim had said he'd spent a week (a week!) looking for any white person to get revenge on.

Having said that, it's been overblown and I do think he deserves some credit for honesty.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm pretty sure there'd be a lot less empathy if a Muslim had said he'd spent a week (a week!) looking for any white person to get revenge on.

Having said that, it's been overblown and I do think he deserves some credit for honesty.
    I think he does deserve some credit and it has been overblown.

But at the same time there’s no way the same people would be rushing to the “it was a different time” defence if the races were reversed.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1...881929216?s=21

Well John Barnes has launched a very passionate defence of Neeson.

The same John Barnes who, as a young black man, experienced the kind of racial hatred and discrimination which none of us white men on this thread could even begin to understand.

Liam Neeson says he's 'not racist' after controversial interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47133868