+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How common do you reckon tax fraud is in the British game?

How common do you reckon tax fraud is in the British game?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47131088

Seems to be endemic among the biggest names in the Spanish game.

Re: How common do you reckon tax fraud is in the British game?

The way our tax system is written, these things would probably be legal.over here

You always hear that footballers pay a lot of tax in this country. Whether it’s the right amount we’ll probably never know.

There was a story about Kante at Chelsea, where they were offering to pay him through an offshore company, to minimise his tax burden, but he refused and said he just wanted to pay normal tax.
    Nicest man in football.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Seems to me that with one or two exceptions these cases involve the complex mechanisms tax agents set up related to image rights.
    The Spanish tax people go after high profile cases and use them as examples to squeeze any tax owing out of the rest
    It’s a situation the Spanish tax people got themselves into in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47131088

Seems to be endemic among the biggest names in the Spanish game.
    For British examples of "dubious" tax activities in football , see Portsmouth and their payment intellectual property rights (shirt naming etc) offshore. Also Glasgow Rangers not paying players taxable salaries but instead giving them "loans" which were never called upon to be repaid. The former led to a court case and the discovery of Harry`s dog having a bank account , while the latter is still an ongoing HMRC case where they have been pursuing the individual players involved because Rangers as a company went into liquidation so can`t pay. If you look up the list of players and managers involved (the Scottish press published a list a few years ago) it involves a few with a CCFC connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    You always hear that footballers pay a lot of tax in this country. Whether it’s the right amount we’ll probably never know.
    Define right amount.

Hands up he or she who has never illegally avoided paying VAT, Income Tax or any other tax....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hands up he or she who has never illegally avoided paying VAT, Income Tax or any other tax....

I won't let others do it either. Anyone wanting cash in hand can do one. I even declare stuff at borders. Taking some gifts to my mate's kids in the Cayman islands cost be a bloody fortune in import duties!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Define right amount.
    I suppose a good starting point would be that they shouldn't be paying a lower %tax than the general public, and preferably a higher% as they can afford to contribute more.

I work with some contractors who use a variety of completely legal means that ensures they pay usually somewhere between 10-20% tax on their already very generous salaries, and it isn't right.

My employer doesn't give me the chance to avoid "paying" tax

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Nor mine. I do get frustrated though when paying PAYE and HMRC giving me a tax refund last year (1st in over 40 years of employment), they've told me this year that I owe them.

I haven’t, it’s pretty difficult for most people because of PAYE.

I pay it when I rent my place out too, firstly because it isn’t worth getting caught and secondly in principle it should be going towards something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Define right amount.
    The amount they’re legally supposed to just like the majority of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I haven’t, it’s pretty difficult for most people because of PAYE.

I pay it when I rent my place out too, firstly because it isn’t worth getting caught and secondly in principle it should be going towards something useful.
    It is difficult for most people to avoid income tax via PAYE.

However if you have paid for a tradesman, Garage or other service with cash, you have more than likely avoided the VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There was a story about Kante at Chelsea, where they were offering to pay him through an offshore company, to minimise his tax burden, but he refused and said he just wanted to pay normal tax.
    Nicest man in football.
    Juan Mata seems pretty decent as well

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Nor mine. Hence my question being broader than your answer suggests

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It is difficult for most people to avoid income tax via PAYE.

However if you have paid for a tradesman, Garage or other service with cash, you have more than likely avoided the VAT.
    It'd be the tradesman avoiding the VAT unless he said, "It's cheaper for cash"

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    It'd be the tradesman avoiding the VAT unless he said, "It's cheaper for cash"
    The end user or the client always pays VAT. if the tradesman wants 200 quid for cash and you say you want it invoiced he'll charge you at leaet £240 plus any other add-ons. The £40 is VAT on the £200.

Quite a lot of folk I should imagine , if someone can get a job done cash in hand its usually taken ,if you multiply that act in its millions across the UK its would probably pay for a few nurse ,teachers . police offices .

this makes interesting reading

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis..._of_GDP%29.png