+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nantes DEMAND Sala Transfer fee

Re: Nantes DEMAND Sala Transfer fee

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    .which is exactly why City aren't making any payments. The club is no doubt aware that under normal circumstances the 1st instalment is owed, but I would be amazed if they hadn't taken legal advice and been told not to pay anything at this time..
    Yes you would think/hope that the City are playing straight down the middle as much as can be expected here and acting on strong legal advice. It’s not the situation for stubbornness and burying heads in the sand, the reputation of the club commands that everything is above board and accountable legally.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wouldn’t the plane’s owner have insurance on it similar to car insurance? We’re led to believe that this same plane was ferrying around valuable individuals, hasn’t Warnock admitted he’s been on it ( or was it that he’s flown with the same pilot?). If so, the ‘vehicle’s’ insurance should come into play, shouldn’t it? ...... unless recklessness is proved allowing the insurers to wash their hands of liability.
    What a mess this is going to be eh! I think all parties should be prepared for the whole sorry affair to run & run.
    It was a private flight, so I am not sure if the insurance would cover corporate business transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There are loads of contradictory reports about the Nantes 'pay up' demands (supposedly in letters to CCFC on Friday and yesterday or today).

They are either demanding the initial £5m+ instalment, or else the whole £15m - some of which will go to Bordeaux.

Some papers are continuing to claim that CCFC have a liability for wages (to someone) and other costs for the full contract period.

Different news sources are coming up with different claims about the club's insurance cover - and speculating about a shortfall.

Wales Online (and its stablemate The Mirror) have tried to detail the reasons why CCFC held back on the first instalment:

- uncertainty about the player registration situation at the time of the crash

- uncertainty about the relationship between Nantes and the McKays (who arranged the flight) and potential claims and counterclaims with Mark McKay acting for the French club in the transfer and maybe retaining a relationship with them after

- uncertainty about the potential liability of other parties (the McKays and David Henderson - and maybe other agents) and whether immediate payment to Nantes would prejudice future legal action.

It is likely to be a drawn out and acrimonious process. The club has stated clearly that they will honour the contract with Nantes but I can see that they will want to clarify the legal and financial position first and not just pay up.

But the timing of the payment demand is very poor - right in the middle of a traumatic recovery operation whilst Sala's family are reportedly staying in Nantes (supported by Emiliano's agent Meissa N'Diaye). Football is a business and the Nantes president was desperate to cash in on Sala - but they could have waited another week or two. Bordeaux have made clear they are not pressing for their share of the fee yet given the circumstances.
    On the contrary the timing of Cardiff not paying the initial £5m+ instalment is very poor and not the other way around if indeed that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It was a private flight, so I am not sure if the insurance would cover corporate business transactions.
    Was it part of a corporate business transaction, the flight I mean? From what we’ve read, whether it’s all straight up, is that it’s more or less someone giving somebody else a lift. I’ve read that our club wanted Sala on a scheduled flight, then the McKay lot stepped in with an offer of a free ‘lift’ which Sala accepted. Going to be loads of ‘grey’ areas for insurance companies to um & ah by the looks but I’d have thought if, say, you accepted a free lift of someone in a car and something happened, as long as they were insured you’d be covered up to a certain amount. As I say I reckon it’s going to be a long runner and will it be a case of the winners being the ones with the best/most expensive legal team? Wish I was watching from afar rather than the City being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

Is this where all the trouble starts
    Perhaps it MAY be where the trouble starts.

I am not SURE really.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    On the contrary the timing of Cardiff not paying the initial £5m+ instalment is very poor and not the other way around if indeed that is the case.
    It doesn’t matter if that’s what your legal team say to do

Was it part of a corporate business transaction, the flight I mean?
    As far as I know, Sala was travelling as a private individual on a privately owned aircraft, and any information regarding who paid for the cost of the flight has not been revealed. There is also some confusion about who the true owners of the aircraft are.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It doesn’t matter if that’s what your legal team say to do
    Quite, but it does not detract from the fact that it would be seen as morally very poor by a lot of people.

Its more of a reflection on Cardiff than Nantes if Cardiff did not pay up as agreed and Nantes had to ask where their money is.

Quite, but it does not detract from the fact that it would be seen as morally very poor by a lot of people.

Its more of a reflection on Cardiff than Nantes if Cardiff did not pay up as agreed and Nantes had to ask where their money is.
    The initial agreement does not take into account the tragic circumstances which happened shortly afterwards, and when it comes to legal matters, neither emotions or morals are taken into account.

As the transfer was ‘subject to international clearance’ was it legally complete at the time of the crash? From the perspective of which club could potentially make an insurance claim.

Was it part of a corporate business transaction, the flight I mean? From what we’ve read, whether it’s all straight up, is that it’s more or less someone giving somebody else a lift. I’ve read that our club wanted Sala on a scheduled flight, then the McKay lot stepped in with an offer of a free ‘lift’ which Sala accepted. Going to be loads of ‘grey’ areas for insurance companies to um & ah by the looks but I’d have thought if, say, you accepted a free lift of someone in a car and something happened, as long as they were insured you’d be covered up to a certain amount. As I say I reckon it’s going to be a long runner and will it be a case of the winners being the ones with the best/most expensive legal team? Wish I was watching from afar rather than the City being involved.
    They say it was free, but I really doubt the pilot wasn’t going to get paid for it, why would he bother else?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Perhaps it MAY be where the trouble starts.

I am not SURE really.
    Your frustration is palpable. I feel it also

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The initial agreement does not take into account the tragic circumstances which happened shortly afterwards, and when it comes to legal matters, neither emotions or morals are taken into account.
    Yes exactly.

It’s business though, and football is that big time. If the lawyers say don’t pay yet, not even a body found then that’s what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    As the transfer was ‘subject to international clearance’ was it legally complete at the time of the crash? From the perspective of which club could potentially make an insurance claim.
    Indeed.

I’d be surprised if Nantes were “demanding” anything at this present moment in time.
    Sensational headline. Good for a 2/3 page discussion on here though.

It’s business though, and football is that big time. If the lawyers say don’t pay yet, not even a body found then that’s what you do.
    Exactly and maybe the lawyers for Nantes are saying that they should demand payment to establish their position.

They say it was free, but I really doubt the pilot wasn’t going to get paid for it, why would he bother else?
    Because he needed the flying hours to keep his pilot licence. This is by no means unusual as a minimum number of hours need to be flown every year and it can be very expensive when you don't own your own 'plane (or have easy access to one).

International

No one said it was free. It was said that Sala was told that he didn't have to pay for it, i.e. it was free for him. But someone must have paid for it at some point.
    I'll be interested when the owners of the aircraft make their insurance claim for the loss of their aircraft, and the bag of worms that will reveal.

No one knows the full facts . It’s just guesswork and conjecture at the moment.

Personally I’d rather they kept it out of the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Exactly and maybe the lawyers for Nantes are saying that they should demand payment to establish their position.
    Yes and maybe cardiff lawyers are saying if we pay now then that could invalidate any later claim- such as thw transfer not being complete due to international clearance. I suppose that could give nantes the possibility of receiving the transfer money from us and then also being the ones to make the insurance claim.

I mean if he was still technically their player subject to international clearance then it's unlikely our insurers would be able to pay out would they?

I doubt any of us will ever get to know what happens anyway. How did this get into the media i wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    No one knows the full facts . It’s just guesswork and conjecture at the moment.

Personally I’d rather they kept it out of the public eye.
    100%. I’m never going to put anyone on ignore as there’s normally so much good stuff on here - even from posters who I clash opinions with - but there’s been some stuff on here that I’ve not enjoyed reading about the whole tragic episode. I’ll just be glad when the family have closure - I realise people want to post about it but it just feels so insensitive to me.

Yes and maybe cardiff lawyers are saying if we pay now then that could invalidate any later claim- such as thw transfer not being complete due to international clearance. I suppose that could give nantes the possibility of receiving the transfer money from us and then also being the ones to make the insurance claim.

I mean if he was still technically their player subject to international clearance then it's unlikely our insurers would be able to pay out would they?

I doubt any of us will ever get to know what happens anyway. How did this get into the media i wonder?
    Wild guess, but probably via an agent who’s slavering over his cut

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Wild guess, but probably via an agent who’s slavering over his cut
    I wonder. Media have clearly been told by someone. I cant see why nantes or cardiff would want any of this public right now? Don't know though.

I wonder. Media have clearly been told by someone. I cant see why nantes or cardiff would want any of this public right now? Don't know though.
    Interesting to note which media outlet first revealed this story yesterday.