+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nantes DEMAND Sala Transfer fee

Nantes DEMAND Sala Transfer fee

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

Is this where all the trouble starts

Re: Nantes DEMAND Sala Transfer fee

Why is this breaking news as if it’s a shock? perhaps the timing is still raw, but fully expected, and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Why is this breaking news as if it’s a shock? perhaps the timing is still raw, but fully expected, and rightly so.
    Agreed. They are due their payment.

We’re surely insured though?

Horrible talking about a life like this mind

Someone needs to break this to TLG, I think he's already bought tickets for the tournament

I'm guessing that all Nantes are doing is asking for payment as per the contract for the sale of the player, which they're perfectly entitled to do.
    Assuming that we had insurance in place then we'll try to cover the fee by claiming on that policy.
    Might be a £15m hole in our finances for a while but that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm guessing that all Nantes are doing is asking for payment as per the contract for the sale of the player, which they're perfectly entitled to do.
    Assuming that we had insurance in place then we'll try to cover the fee by claiming on that policy.
    Exactly, let’s hope our insurances are all ok and he was included immediately on them. If they’re not, we deserve to take the hit, it’d be incompetence. Only thing you can criticise Nantes and perhaps Bordeaux is that the timing is a bit insensitive.

A non-story but for sensationalist use of the word demand.

I would have thought that Nantes are due their money whether we are insured or not. I hope we do pay up promptly as we don’t need any negative publicity at this moment when our PR stock is high. We got a lot of stick when we hadn’t paid Motherwell for Paul Quinn.

If we have any uninsured losses I am sure that we will be on the alert for any negligence findings relating to the whole tragic affair

I read a while ago that City might come out of this with a 14-15 million shortfall despite the fact that Sala will have been included in some kind of policy governing the whole playing staff. The shortfall is created by agents' fees and maybe even sums due to Sala's family (?). I didn't understand that at the time and still don't.

The figure could be closer to £30m, with insurance covering roughly half of it, hence Tan is considering the possibility of taking some form of legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I read a while ago that City might come out of this with a 14-15 million shortfall despite the fact that Sala will have been included in some kind of policy governing the whole playing staff. The shortfall is created by agents' fees and maybe even sums due to Sala's family (?). I didn't understand that at the time and still don't.
    Like any professional football club City will have insurance in place commensurate with the size [value] of the sort of players on their books. I'm guessing City are withholding any agents' fees as there's clearly a distinct possibility of negligence [ sounds awfully clinical, I know], and City's lawyers are going to have a field day with the McKays. Re. payments to Nantes, if any are over due I would be very surprised if the Club hadn't taken legal advice on this..

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Exactly, let’s hope our insurances are all ok and he was included immediately on them. If they’re not, we deserve to take the hit, it’d be incompetence. Only thing you can criticise Nantes and perhaps Bordeaux is that the timing is a bit insensitive.
    It is a bit. What with the possibility of Sala's dead body being recovered from the wreck as we write.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    The article in the Telegraph at the time mentioned a liablity for salary payments to the player.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Agreed. They are due their payment.

We’re surely insured though?

Horrible talking about a life like this mind
    Agree with the last point. On insurance: I am speculating when i should not, but we may be struggling to get them to cover this as i) he is, presumably, not legally dead yet and ii) who knows what conditions they put in the keyman policy as regards negligence, or things not covered. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they do not cover accidents in helicopters and light aircraft for example.

Hard to see why Nantes shouldn't be paid though.

Funny seeing Swansea '5p in every £1' City fans on Twitter saying that Nantes should get the the money "because it's theirs and they're entitled to it" without any self-awareness.

Here's the reality of business. Sensitivity doesn't come into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

Is this where all the trouble starts
    Someone will end up getting sued I think, hopefully the dodgy agent who organised the dodgy flight.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Someone will end up getting sued I think, hopefully the dodgy agent who organised the dodgy flight.....
    Probably a Limited Company with limited liabilities and will fold before any money is paid in compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The figure could be closer to £30m, with insurance covering roughly half of it, hence Tan is considering the possibility of taking some form of legal action.

Are we liable to pay his wages too? That would seem a bit odd if he’s not alive no? Do we pay his family? I dont know much about football contracts

International

The payment 'demand' was probably an invoice issued by a grey accountant on the 30 day rule or 60 day or whatever the norm is in football.
    Every invoice for payment is a demand by definition, but as someone said, the word has been used to sensationalise a pefectly normal business action. The club bought something so has to pay for it

I hope Cardiff pay up and fulfil all their obligations without any fuss in this tragic matter.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Are we liable to pay his wages too? That would seem a bit odd if he’s not alive no? Do we pay his family? I dont know much about football contracts
    Here is the original Daily Telegraph article from the 25th of January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...disaster-face/

Wouldn’t the plane’s owner have insurance on it similar to car insurance? We’re led to believe that this same plane was ferrying around valuable individuals, hasn’t Warnock admitted he’s been on it ( or was it that he’s flown with the same pilot?). If so, the ‘vehicle’s’ insurance should come into play, shouldn’t it? ...... unless recklessness is proved allowing the insurers to wash their hands of liability.
    What a mess this is going to be eh! I think all parties should be prepared for the whole sorry affair to run & run.

There are loads of contradictory reports about the Nantes 'pay up' demands (supposedly in letters to CCFC on Friday and yesterday or today).

They are either demanding the initial £5m+ instalment, or else the whole £15m - some of which will go to Bordeaux.

Some papers are continuing to claim that CCFC have a liability for wages (to someone) and other costs for the full contract period.

Different news sources are coming up with different claims about the club's insurance cover - and speculating about a shortfall.

Wales Online (and its stablemate The Mirror) have tried to detail the reasons why CCFC held back on the first instalment:

- uncertainty about the player registration situation at the time of the crash

- uncertainty about the relationship between Nantes and the McKays (who arranged the flight) and potential claims and counterclaims with Mark McKay acting for the French club in the transfer and maybe retaining a relationship with them after

- uncertainty about the potential liability of other parties (the McKays and David Henderson - and maybe other agents) and whether immediate payment to Nantes would prejudice future legal action.

It is likely to be a drawn out and acrimonious process. The club has stated clearly that they will honour the contract with Nantes but I can see that they will want to clarify the legal and financial position first and not just pay up.

But the timing of the payment demand is very poor - right in the middle of a traumatic recovery operation whilst Sala's family are reportedly staying in Nantes (supported by Emiliano's agent Meissa N'Diaye). Football is a business and the Nantes president was desperate to cash in on Sala - but they could have waited another week or two. Bordeaux have made clear they are not pressing for their share of the fee yet given the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wouldn’t the plane’s owner have insurance on it similar to car insurance? We’re led to believe that this same plane was ferrying around valuable individuals, hasn’t Warnock admitted he’s been on it ( or was it that he’s flown with the same pilot?). If so, the ‘vehicle’s’ insurance should come into play, shouldn’t it? ...... unless recklessness is proved allowing the insurers to wash their hands of liability.
    What a mess this is going to be eh! I think all parties should be prepared for the whole sorry affair to run & run.
    .which is exactly why City aren't making any payments. The club is no doubt aware that under normal circumstances the 1st instalment is owed, but I would be amazed if they hadn't taken legal advice and been told not to pay anything at this time..