+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: SOUTHAMPTON 1 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

FT: SOUTHAMPTON 1 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

A game we cannot really afford to lose.

Referee: Martin Atkinson
    Assistants: Stephen Child, Harry Lennard
    Fourth official: Tim Robinson

Whole season could swing on this weekend's results.

Re: SOUTHAMPTON v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Fulham v Manchester United
    Crystal Palace v West Ham United
    Huddersfield Town v Arsenal
    Southampton v Cardiff City
    Brighton & Hove Albion v Burnley
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Newcastle United

Wins for the Hammers, Arse, City, Brighton, Wolves & (am I saying this!) Manure please!

I agree it's a must not lose game but I really worry after the emotion of the last 2 weeks, which has carried us through, we will come back down to earth with a bump.
    Really hope I'm wrong.

Changes will be needed this week. The performance was fantastic last week however Arter HAS to come back in for me, if Victor is fit then I wouldn't be surprised if he is left on the bench, if we can take the lead or keep it even with half an hour to go, then bringing him on would be the difference for me, Ralls should stay in midfield after last weekend and Arsenal. That being said I don't have a problem with any three of our midfielders/Patterson playing, their performances have been solid recently collectively. I'll be shocked if the front three changes after last week.

Etheridge

Bacuna
    Manga
    Bamba
    Bennett

Arter
    Ralls
    Patterson

Murphy
    Niasse
    Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Changes will be needed this week. The performance was fantastic last week however Arter HAS to come back in for me, if Victor is fit then I wouldn't be surprised if he is left on the bench, if we can take the lead or keep it even with half an hour to go, then bringing him on would be the difference for me, Ralls should stay in midfield after last weekend and Arsenal. That being said I don't have a problem with any three of our midfielders/Patterson playing, their performances have been solid recently collectively. I'll be shocked if the front three changes after last week.

Etheridge

Bacuna
    Manga
    Bamba
    Bennett

Arter
    Ralls
    Patterson

Murphy
    Niasse
    Reid
    I'd be surprised if Bacuna is selected over Peltier, we kept a rare clean sheet last week so think we'll go with the same back 4. I think Arter will come in for Ralls as Gunnarsson is much favoured by NW and the rest of the side will be the same, unless we go more defensively and it's Murphy who is replaced by Arter ( hope not though as the front 3 did well last week)

Arter in place of Ralls, Junior for Murphy are the 2 changes I expect. Victor on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Arter in place of Ralls, Junior for Murphy are the 2 changes I expect. Victor on the bench.
    Murphy played really well against Bournemouth

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Murphy played really well against Bournemouth
    Agreed, but Warnock generally prefers the more defence minded Hoilett in away games.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Agreed, but Warnock generally prefers the more defence minded Hoilett in away games.
    Just saying I'd keep the front 3 the same

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Just saying I'd keep the front 3 the same
    Soton are strong on the wings so we will have to counter that.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Changes will be needed this week. The performance was fantastic last week however Arter HAS to come back in for me
    I've got to disagree with this. We looked so much more positive and patient without Arter. It forced us into a more constructive & less frenetic approach without his 100mph style.

I'd start with exactly the same 11 that started against Bournemouth or simply change Rall (or Gunnar) for Victor.

Opta stats

• Southampton have lost only one of their last 14 home matches against Cardiff in all competitions (W10 D3), although that defeat came in their last such meeting in April 2014 in the Premier League.
    • Cardiff have won two of their three Premier League games against Southampton (L1), only versus Fulham (3) have they won more in the competition.
    • Cardiff are looking to record three consecutive victories against Southampton in all competitions for the first time since March 1963.
    • Southampton are unbeaten in five Premier League games (W2 D3), last having a longer such run between April-August 2016 (7).
    • Southampton have both scored (11) and conceded (12) in each of their last seven home league games.
    • Following their win against Bournemouth last time out, Cardiff are looking to win consecutive top-flight matches for the first time since April 1962.
    • Cardiff are the lowest away scorers in the Premier League this season (7 goals), while only Fulham (2) have picked up fewer points on the road than the Bluebirds (W1 D2 L9).
    • Cardiff's last five away goals in the Premier League have come in the 80th minute or later, with three of them coming in the 90th minute.
    • Just one of Southampton's five Premier League wins this season have been against sides starting the day below them (3-1 vs Huddersfield). Indeed, their other four victories have been against sides starting the day in the top half of the table.
    • All five of Nathan Redmond's Premier League goal involvements for Southampton this season have come under Ralph Hasenhüttl, with 3 goals and 2 assists in 10 appearances (after none in 15 games before that this term).

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I've got to disagree with this. We looked so much more positive and patient without Arter. It forced us into a more constructive & less frenetic approach without his 100mph style.

I'd start with exactly the same 11 that started against Bournemouth or simply change Rall (or Gunnar) for Victor.
    That's a good observation. He's a good tackler (Arter) and can break up the opposition's play, however, it can all get a bit frenetic at times with him in there. But if Camarasa is fit, I'd include him at the expense of Ralls.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Tough decisions to be made by Neil but although easy for me to say I'd have Victor and Arter in for Ralls and Patterson.
    That said, too many changes ain't good and all will feel they deserve to keep their places.

Prepare to battle it out at the back and middle with the threat on the break of Niasse and Reid.

If he does go minimal changes, Camarassa off the bench is a potent weapon.

Who'd be a manager?

Arter in. Murphy on bench. Camarasa on bench as well

Same XI that started against Arsenal.

Not much defensive cover on the bench.

Saints: McCarthy; Vestergaard, Stephens, Bednarek, Valery, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Redmond, Long.

Subs: Gunn, Yoshida, Austin, El Younoussi, Gallagher, Targett, Slattery

Cardiff: Etheridge; Peltier. Manga, Bamba, Paterson, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Arter, Bennett, Reid, Niasse

Subs: Smithies, Zohore, Murphy, Bacuna, Mendez-Laing, Camarasa, Hoilett

He loves Gunner for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    He loves Gunner for some reason
    I like Gunnar's but he was the only below par player in our last match. I'm sure he'll have a cracker today mind, so come on! Bluebirds!

International

Murphy on the bench??????
    And Camarasa on the bench with Ralls playing. Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Maybe he wants to ease Camarasa back into things. However, for some reason Warnock seems to have faith in a partnership of Ralls & Gunnarsson, I think both are very limited. I'd liked to have seen Murphy keep his place.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Camarasa has been injured and hasn't played for weeks. It would be folly to throw him straight back in for such an important game. Ralls played well last week as well.

Valery back in for Saints at RB.

Murphy ripped him apart at our place and he had to be subbed at half time to avoid a red card. Murphy not starting today!