+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Height of passes

Height of passes

https://statsbomb.com/2019/02/an-ove...h-premiership/

Well I thought it was interesting anyway

Re: Height of passes

does this just show that we don't have the ball very much?

In terms of us, probably yes. And when we do have it we don't keep it. We are stylistically very different from the rest of the league. No shame in that mind.

On this subject, my impression has been that recently Ralls' delivery of free kicks/corners has been of better quality than Camarrasa's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    In terms of us, probably yes. And when we do have it we don't keep it. We are stylistically very different from the rest of the league. No shame in that mind.
    On the opposite side of the coin from not having much possession is that our defence is generally more tested than others. Only Fulham, Brighton and Burnley have faced more attempts at goal than us and both Brighton and Burnley's possession stats are pretty dismal, though not as bad as ours. It's also not much of a surprise that Etheridge makes more saves per game than most PL goalkeepers, while our defence makes more clearances and blocks than most other teams. In short, our "possession" game heaps more pressure on our defence. It's hardly surprising that individual errors have crept in this season.

A quick edit, just because I found it interesting - in Swansea's first season in the PL, they faced more shots on goal on average than we have, despite playing "the Swansea way".

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    On this subject, my impression has been that recently Ralls' delivery of free kicks/corners has been of better quality than Camarrasa's.
    Ralls has been our most improved player since he returned a few games ago.

Possession is far from the be all and end all - and many teams spend a disproportionate amount of time in possession fannying about and never getting anywhere, Fulham being one example. However, although me must be eternally grateful for what the wonderful Warnock has achieved with very limited resources, we would really have to sign better players and better passers of the ball if we get promoted to the Premier League again and hope to stay there. And we would probably need a different type of manager. However, I can't fault the man at the moment. He has brought the club and fans together regardless as to whether we are relegated - and this season has been one to remember in more ways than one. Joy and sadness personified.