+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sarri

Re: Sarri

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I must be dreaming then, and Sarri really is a tactical genius
    Napoli got 91 points last season, 91. The bloke knows what he's doing, and knows more about football than you or I, or anyone on here.

I get the feeling that if Ampadu had played every game and they were still in 4th then the OP would now be lauding Sarri

Sarri is not the first manager at Chelsea to "lose" what strikes me as a very fickle dressing room. Some very influential members of that dressing room left the club in the last couple of years, but it appears to have made no difference in terms of the way the players seem quick to down tools if there is the slightest hint of a problem. It happens at other clubs, but it seems to go on more at Chelsea than any other team in the Premier League - the players are indulged a great deal there and I wonder how different the club's results would be over, say, a three season period if the emphasis switched from bringing in "ready made" first team players to giving more of a chance to youth?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sarri is not the first manager at Chelsea to "lose" what strikes me as a very fickle dressing room. Some very influential members of that dressing room left the club in the last couple of years, but it appears to have made no difference in terms of the way the players seem quick to down tools if there is the slightest hint of a problem. It happens at other clubs, but it seems to go on more at Chelsea than any other team in the Premier League - the players are indulged a great deal there and I wonder how different the club's results would be over, say, a three season period if the emphasis switched from bringing in "ready made" first team players to giving more of a chance to youth?
    If you look at sarri’s Career and Chelsea’s youth system they would be mad to get rid of him, Wales Bales has this crazy idea that he can just throw in ampadu and he’ll be the best holding midfielder/defender in the world

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    If you look at sarri’s Career and Chelsea’s youth system they would be mad to get rid of him, Wales Bales has this crazy idea that he can just throw in ampadu and he’ll be the best holding midfielder/defender in the world
    If you look at age profiles for those two positions, players generally peak later than a lot of positions.

Wingers peak the youngest, as so much of their game is based on athletic attributes, whereas positions which rely more on experience, game reading, positioning and strength tend to peak later

I'm not saying that it's a direct choice between the current approach at Chelsea and one of picking a side full of youngsters, but, for a club with their ambitions, the approach they've used under Abramovich can only be seen as a partial success at best in recent years - would they have really done an awful lot worse by gradually introducing some youngsters into their Premier League squad?

I can remember the argument being made when the Premier League was being set up that it would benefit the England team. At the moment, it seems to me that England have their best set of youngsters coming through in ages and the idea of them winning a major tournament some time in the not too distant future does not seem as ridiculous as it did ten years ago when the "golden generation" were proving to be a national embarrassment, but with young players increasingly leaving to play on the continent because of a lack of opportunities in the domestic game, any success for the England team will come despite the Premier League rather than because of it.

I'm not advocating sacking Sarri, maybe there's a few in the dressing room at Chelsea they should get rid of?

It’s a strange one Paul when you see Chelsea’s youth wiping the floor against the others and now you have the German clubs thinking hang on a minute we’ll have them if you’re not going to play them. Chelsea should be saying look the next couple of years will be tough but we’re going to bring all these kids through

I'm not saying that it's a direct choice between the current approach at Chelsea and one of picking a side full of youngsters, but, for a club with their ambitions, the approach they've used under Abramovich can only be seen as a partial success at best in recent years - would they have really done an awful lot worse by gradually introducing some youngsters into their Premier League squad?

I can remember the argument being made when the Premier League was being set up that it would benefit the England team. At the moment, it seems to me that England have their best set of youngsters coming through in ages and the idea of them winning a major tournament some time in the not too distant future does not seem as ridiculous as it did ten years ago when the "golden generation" were proving to be a national embarrassment, but with young players increasingly leaving to play on the continent because of a lack of opportunities in the domestic game, any success for the England team will come despite the Premier League rather than because of it.

I'm not advocating sacking Sarri, maybe there's a few in the dressing room at Chelsea they should get rid of?
    I'm not sure I totally agree that the impressive crop of youngsters coming through for Wales and England is despite the premier League rather then because of it.

Clubs like Chelsea and man city have invested unprecedented amounts in their academies, and even if very few players end up making it to their first team, the results of that are definitely benefitting football in this country.
    They pay for the best young talent, the best coaches and employ the most up to date training methods. Their business model relies on either making a home grown superstar, or selling the ones who almost get there for millions. That model doesn't work if they are letting talent wither on the vine.
    We've got first hand experience of clubs now imposing punative clauses in loan agreements if players are t played.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not sure I totally agree that the impressive crop of youngsters coming through for Wales and England is despite the premier League rather then because of it.

Clubs like Chelsea and man city have invested unprecedented amounts in their academies, and even if very few players end up making it to their first team, the results of that are definitely benefitting football in this country.
    They pay for the best young talent, the best coaches and employ the most up to date training methods. Their business model relies on either making a home grown superstar, or selling the ones who almost get there for millions. That model doesn't work if they are letting talent wither on the vine.
    We've got first hand experience of clubs now imposing punative clauses in loan agreements if players are t played.
    That's not quite what I said though. You make the case for saying that the system is in place to produce an England team that wins major tournaments, but, just like with City, it seems at the moment that turning good teenagers into good first team players is either a problem or something that is not encouraged at the club - I'm convinced that someone like Loftus-Cheek won't realise his full potential if he stays at Chelsea and, seemingly, the penny is dropping with a lot of the best talent coming through in the younger age group.

That's not quite what I said though. You make the case for saying that the system is in place to produce an England team that wins major tournaments, but, just like with City, it seems at the moment that turning good teenagers into good first team players is either a problem or something that is not encouraged at the club - I'm convinced that someone like Loftus-Cheek won't realise his full potential if he stays at Chelsea and, seemingly, the penny is dropping with a lot of the best talent coming through in the younger age group.
    In itself that doesn't mean the system doesn't work though.
    Creating some excellent young talent and selling/loaning it to clubs who are willing to take the risk basically is the system now

In itself that doesn't mean the system doesn't work though.
    Creating some excellent young talent and selling/loaning it to clubs who are willing to take the risk basically is the system now
    My argument was that any trophies England may win will be despite the Premier League rather than because of it - I still think that is right, but I'll qualify it by saying if current attitudes prevail. What the Chelsea approach has proved up to now is that you can win some trophies, but you can forget about having any Academy products in there while you're doing it. This thread is about Chelsea and I don't believe their last five years or so have been as successful as someone like Abramovich would have expected them to be - maybe it is the club's philosophy that needs to chance as opposed to the team manager every season or two?

It would help if you actually read what I posted. I said his development is going backwards, nowhere have I called for him to be thrown into the 1st team for every game, those are your words! The fact is, he has only apeared in 4 minor games, and each of those was in a different position. He was much better off under Conte, who actually had a development plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Napoli got 91 points last season, 91. The bloke knows what he's doing, and knows more about football than you or I, or anyone on here.
    Sarri had a great team last last year, but he's been totally found out by teams like Bournemouth this year. Sarriball has never won anything in the past, and it certainly won't be winning anything in the near future. I'm affraid it's back to the drawing board for Chelsea, they either need a new system or a new manager.

Given the model in operation, you would expect teams like Chelsea and Man City to produce a few decent players. If Cardiff had 50 youngsters of a similar caliber to Ramsey, I'm almost certain we would produce a few decent players too. In fact, they would be better, as they would actually get some playing experience!

Given the model in operation, you would expect teams like Chelsea and Man City to produce a few decent players. If Cardiff had 50 youngsters of a similar caliber to Ramsey, I'm almost certain we would produce a few decent players too. In fact, they would be better, as they would actually get some playing experience!
    They do produce a lot of good players. Do you really think they would be spending so much on it if there wasn't anyone coming out of their academies.
    The fact that they might end up at another top league club not Chelsea is irrelevant

Fans need to start asking themselves what they want from their football clubs.

If Chelsea started to throw in a group of younger players in the short term it will have an effect on the results, Chelsea may finish 8th. Miss out on Europe. The cash flow issue would then lead to them having to get rid of all the higher earners on their books. In the long term though it would/may then benefit the club by developing the younger players and having a sustainable club. However the recent past tells us that if Chelsea finish 8th the manager is sacked. So why is a manager going to develop a young player for him to cost him his job, and to be ready for another manager down the line.

If you look at a club who does develop players, you are probably looking at Spurs, who supplement their star players with local stars and homegrown signings. However even with this approach and a manager that is untouchable we still see unrest in the fans who want to see the big name signings to take them to the next level.

Lets look at Swansea, they didnt develop any players during their Premier League stint, but now due to necessity those players are giving a chance and doing well, however the result is mid table championship football, with any developing talent more than likely looking to move on in the short term.

At Cardiff we are very much a sign and sell club. There is no route for a young player into the first team. In a way fans have demanded that with the demand for instant success and short term-ism. That is the template of the club at the moment.

I get very mixed messages of a message board between, we need to do well now, sack the manager, why are there no young players coming through - when the system needed to do all three are very different.

They do produce a lot of good players. Do you really think they would be spending so much on it if there wasn't anyone coming out of their academies.
    The fact that they might end up at another top league club not Chelsea is irrelevant
    Chelsea are currently under investigation for illegally hoovering up the very best young players from all around the world. I'd be very disappointed if they weren't producing a lot of good players, as it looks as though they have been gaming the system for quite a while.

Chelsea are currently under investigation for illegally hoovering up the very best young players from all around the world.
    What does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Fans need to start asking themselves what they want from their football clubs.

If Chelsea started to throw in a group of younger players in the short term it will have an effect on the results, Chelsea may finish 8th. Miss out on Europe. The cash flow issue would then lead to them having to get rid of all the higher earners on their books. In the long term though it would/may then benefit the club by developing the younger players and having a sustainable club. However the recent past tells us that if Chelsea finish 8th the manager is sacked. So why is a manager going to develop a young player for him to cost him his job, and to be ready for another manager down the line.

If you look at a club who does develop players, you are probably looking at Spurs, who supplement their star players with local stars and homegrown signings. However even with this approach and a manager that is untouchable we still see unrest in the fans who want to see the big name signings to take them to the next level.

Lets look at Swansea, they didnt develop any players during their Premier League stint, but now due to necessity those players are giving a chance and doing well, however the result is mid table championship football, with any developing talent more than likely looking to move on in the short term.

At Cardiff we are very much a sign and sell club. There is no route for a young player into the first team. In a way fans have demanded that with the demand for instant success and short term-ism. That is the template of the club at the moment.

I get very mixed messages of a message board between, we need to do well now, sack the manager, why are there no young players coming through - when the system needed to do all three are very different.
    In the past, great managers such as Busby, Shankly, Clough and Ferguson built their teams from the ground up, and once a team had reached their full potential, they would dismantle it and start over. Blooding young players was a fundamental part of this process.

In the past, great managers such as Busby, Shankly, Clough and Ferguson built their teams from the ground up, and once a team had reached their full potential, they would dismantle it and start over. Blooding young players was a fundamental part of this process.
    The transfer market was a different beast in those days. There was more potential to bring the local product through or sign a player from the lower leagues.

It's self-explanatory isn't it? They are suspected of breaking the rules regarding the signing of young players from around the world.

The transfer market was a different beast in those days. There was more potential to bring the local product through or sign a player from the lower leagues.
    Ferguson wasn't afraid to give young players a chance, in fact he thrived on it, while still remaining a dominant team.

If you are going to challenge this stuff, at least try to get yourself informed on the subject

https://www.theguardian.com/football...an-100-players

Ferguson wasn't afraid to give young players a chance, in fact he thrived on it, while still remaining a dominant team.
    class of 92 was 26 years ago.

class of 92 was 26 years ago.
    He'd still do the same today if he had his time over. He shaped Giggs and Ronaldo. If you're good enough, you are old enough