+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Things I probably shouldn't think: coverage of discrimination in women's football

Things I probably shouldn't think: coverage of discrimination in women's football

I would firstly like to make it clear that discrimination is seriously wrong and should have no place in football, as this is a football post, or wider society.

News is breaking of a footballer being charged with racial abuse of an opponent however they make no comment of the alleged abuser's nationality which seems in stark contrast to the coverage of Mark Sampson about 18 months ago.

You can see BBC article here of today's story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47160362
    An example of Mark Sampson after discrimination allegations: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41326806

While I'll never be able to prove it I did think at the time that Mark Sampson went from a manager of the England women's team, semi-finalists at the World Cup, to Welshman who is manager of England - in the article above his nationality is mentioned in the 5th paragraph. Yet today's coverage shows it is possible to cover a story about alleged discrimination without mentioning abuser's nationality.

Again, it's not the most important part of the story but news today reminded me of my previous feelings. Hopefully the possibility to report on discrimination in football becomes rarer and rarer.

Re: Things I probably shouldn't think: coverage of discrimination in women's football

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I would firstly like to make it clear that discrimination is seriously wrong and should have no place in football, as this is a football post, or wider society.

News is breaking of a footballer being charged with racial abuse of an opponent however they make no comment of the alleged abuser's nationality which seems in stark contrast to the coverage of Mark Sampson about 18 months ago.

You can see BBC article here of today's story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47160362
    An example of Mark Sampson after discrimination allegations: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41326806

While I'll never be able to prove it I did think at the time that Mark Sampson went from a manager of the England women's team, semi-finalists at the World Cup, to Welshman who is manager of England - in the article above his nationality is mentioned in the 5th paragraph. Yet today's coverage shows it is possible to cover a story about alleged discrimination without mentioning abuser's nationality.

Again, it's not the most important part of the story but news today reminded me of my previous feelings. Hopefully the possibility to report on discrimination in football becomes rarer and rarer.
    Isn't it more about race rather than nationality? And wasn't the alleged victim in the case you are probably referring to born in the UK and therefore probably a UK citizen?

Re: Things I probably shouldn't think: coverage of discrimination in women's football

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Isn't it more about race rather than nationality? And wasn't the alleged victim in the case you are probably referring to born in the UK and therefore probably a UK citizen?
    I thought the point of the OP was that the media made a big deal of Mark Sampson's nationality - and some saw that as a cheap shot at the Welsh as it wasn't necessary to the story. This case is reported without any reference to the nationality of the alleged perpetrator.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I thought the point of the OP was that the media made a big deal of Mark Sampson's nationality - and some saw that as a cheap shot at the Welsh as it wasn't necessary to the story. This case is reported without any reference to the nationality of the alleged perpetrator.
    I see. To be honest, I am unaware of the 'big deal' concerned. The BBC website didn't seem to report it that way but if other media sources did, I will take people's word for it

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I see. To be honest, I am unaware of the 'big deal' concerned. The BBC website didn't seem to report it that way but if other media sources did, I will take people's word for it
    I saw it as almost the reverse Any Murray effect: not that in doing well you become British but in acting in a bad way you suddenly become Welsh.

The big story here of course is that someone has been charged with racially abusing another individual which is shocking and wrong. My guilty feeling is that the BBC and other press aren't reporting that this person charged is English as they reported the former English manager was Welsh - a fact which I felt was largely left off the table before he had been accused and when England were doing well.

I wondered if anyone else felt the same.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I saw it as almost the reverse Any Murray effect: not that in doing well you become British but in acting in a bad way you suddenly become Welsh.

The big story here of course is that someone has been charged with racially abusing another individual which is shocking and wrong. My guilty feeling is that the BBC and other press aren't reporting that this person charged is English as they reported the former English manager was Welsh - a fact which I felt was largely left off the table before he had been accused and when England were doing well.

I wondered if anyone else felt the same.
    Well as I said, I am can't remark on the subject with any authority but I do feel that many Welsh people are either paranoid or have a chip on their shoulder. And I'm Welsh myself