+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Warnock - 'I've faced a vendetta over my links to Emiliano Sala agent'

Neil Warnock - 'I've faced a vendetta over my links to Emiliano Sala agent'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...a158433_static

"Neil Warnock says he has fallen victim to a "vendetta" over his links with the controversial businessman involved in the Emiliano Sala tragedy.

In his most candid interview since Sala was killed in a plane crash, Warnock claims he had no choice but to use Willie McKay's help in signing Sala from Nantes for £15 million. The Cardiff City manager told The Sunday Telegraph he had been "putting on a front" to give the impression he was coping with criticism and rumours around the disastrous deal.

“It’s been bad, really bad behind the scenes" he said.

McKay, who unregistered with the Football Association, has faced scrutiny over his business dealings after he confirmed making the arrangements for Sala's doomed flight. The Monaco-based intermediary, who was declared bankrupt in 2015, has voluntarily disclosed details of how he muscled in on the Sala deal in January and planted fake stories to create a "buzz".

Warnock said of their relationship: "It’s suggested I am big pals with Willie McKay. Am I? I don’t think I am. He is an agent. You need these agents if you want to do a deal."

McKay's operation in bringing players from France to the Premier League is likely to eventually fall foul of tough new rules under consideration at Fifa, The Telegraph understands.

Greg Clarke, the FA chairman, refused to comment on the Sala case, but has confirmed he is working closely with Fifa on tougher curbs to ensure intermediaries are held to account.

"I'm a big fan of making sure that the agents are regulated properly, and that the market is transparent and clean and conforms to best practice," he said. "I am sure most agents would want that too."

Clarke will have increasing influence after being elected this week as vice-president at Fifa, which is considering a "clearing house" to scrutinise all transfers. The FA, he said, wants "sensible rules in place, drafted in conjunction with the players, FIFPro, the PFA and others that protect everybody. A transparent set of rules, a compliant set of rules, that is then adopted globally."

Warnock signed two of McKay's sons last year and had also used his services to sign Sol Bamba for free. The manager categorically denies the suggestion, however, that the Sala deal took place because of their relationship.

“I have been involved with three players with Willie McKay in the last eight years," he said. "One of them has been a free transfer who has proved to be our star player and one of the best in the Premier League, so you can’t knock it. It's disgusting that a lot more has been suggested, but Cardiff have dealt with these agents long before I arrived at the club.

“Ask anyone in the game, if you want a player from France or a French player, 99 per cent of the time you will have to deal with Willie McKay or someone like him. If you want to get the job done, then you need the Willie McKays of this world."

On Jan 8 - two weeks before the striker's death - McKay sent an email introducing himself to Sala, saying he would be able to get £1m for his mother if he signed for Cardiff.

When approached by The Telegraph over the deal, McKay has been repeatedly abusive. Warnock said: "Someone suggested that if I went to Sala’s funeral that Willie McKay would be standing alongside me. That was just distasteful.”

The 70-year-old added: “There has been a vendetta in some quarters, of that I am sure, and our chairman has told me he doesn’t want me to reply to them as it would destabilise the club."

Warnock, whose wife Sharon has been recovering after cancer treatment, said the timing of the tragedy has been particularly hard for his family. "It has been terrible at home, the emotion of it all," he said. "I am sure everyone knows how I have also suffered for the last couple of years with Sharon’s illness."

Re: Neil Warnock - 'I've faced a vendetta over my links to Emiliano Sala agent'

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

"Neil Warnock says he has fallen victim to a "vendetta" over his links with the controversial businessman involved in the Emiliano Sala tragedy.

In his most candid interview since Sala was killed in a plane crash, Warnock claims he had no choice but to use Willie McKay's help in signing Sala from Nantes for £15 million. The Cardiff City manager told The Sunday Telegraph he had been "putting on a front" to give the impression he was coping with criticism and rumours around the disastrous deal.

McKay, who unregistered with the Football Association, has faced scrutiny over his business dealings after he confirmed making the arrangements for Sala's doomed flight. The Monaco-based intermediary, who was declared bankrupt in 2015, has voluntarily disclosed details of how he muscled in on the Sala deal in January and planted fake stories to create a "buzz".

Warnock said of their relationship: "It’s suggested I am big pals with Willie McKay. Am I? I don’t think I am. He is an agent. You need these agents if you want to do a deal."

McKay's operation in bringing players from France to the Premier League is likely to eventually fall foul of tough new rules under consideration at Fifa, The Telegraph understands.

Greg Clarke, the FA chairman, refused to comment on the Sala case, but has confirmed he is working closely with Fifa on tougher curbs to ensure intermediaries are held to account.

"I'm a big fan of making sure that the agents are regulated properly, and that the market is transparent and clean and conforms to best practice," he said. "I am sure most agents would want that too."

Clarke will have increasing influence after being elected this week as vice-president at Fifa, which is considering a "clearing house" to scrutinise all transfers. The FA, he said, wants "sensible rules in place, drafted in conjunction with the players, FIFPro, the PFA and others that protect everybody. A transparent set of rules, a compliant set of rules, that is then adopted globally."

Warnock signed two of McKay's sons last year and had also used his services to sign Sol Bamba for free. The manager categorically denies the suggestion, however, that the Sala deal took place because of their relationship.

“I have been involved with three players with Willie McKay in the last eight years," he said. "One of them has been a free transfer who has proved to be our star player and one of the best in the Premier League, so you can’t knock it. It's disgusting that a lot more has been suggested, but Cardiff have dealt with these agents long before I arrived at the club.

“Ask anyone in the game, if you want a player from France or a French player, 99 per cent of the time you will have to deal with Willie McKay or someone like him. If you want to get the job done, then you need the Willie McKays of this world."

On Jan 8 - two weeks before the striker's death - McKay sent an email introducing himself to Sala, saying he would be able to get £1m for his mother if he signed for Cardiff.

When approached by The Telegraph over the deal, McKay has been repeatedly abusive. Warnock said: "Someone suggested that if I went to Sala’s funeral that Willie McKay would be standing alongside me. That was just distasteful.”

The 70-year-old added: “There has been a vendetta in some quarters, of that I am sure, and our chairman has told me he doesn’t want me to reply to them as it would destabilise the club."

Warnock, whose wife Sharon has been recovering after cancer treatment, said the timing of the tragedy has been particularly hard for his family. "It has been terrible at home, the emotion of it all," he said. "I am sure everyone knows how I have also suffered for the last couple of years with Sharon’s illness."
    I feel for Warnock, he wears his heart on his sleeve and he's only participating in the curious business practices of the football industry rather than orchestrating them.

If there is a positive from the whole tragedy that it'll force footballs authorities to combat these practices.

The people on this board who may have speculated about the Mckays involvement with NW in the Sala situation, have obviously therefore been adding to NW's pain in recent weeks, as he is clearly aware of what has been said both in the normal media and on social media sites. They should take this into account in future, as he is not deserving of is type of treatment.

I would find it easier to believe what Warnock is saying if we didn't have two of McKay's sons on our books.

It’s sad to think that you need people like McKay to get these transfers done it’s frightening to think how much these agents are getting when that money could be used in graaa roots

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The people on this board who may have speculated about the Mckays involvement with NW in the Sala situation, have obviously therefore been adding to NW's pain in recent weeks, as he is clearly aware of what has been said both in the normal media and on social media sites. They should take this into account in future, as he is not deserving of is type of treatment.
    A fine post indeed dml1954 ,some folk struggle to control thier brave keyboard fingers or align thier brain in accocisation to those fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I would find it easier to believe what Warnock is saying if we didn't have two of McKay's sons on our books.
    There you go then. You have just succinctly proved my point.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We don't.
    We used to.
    We don't now.
    Jack was shipped out very recently

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    We don't.
    We used to.
    We don't now.
    They are both out on loan to the end of the season - Paul with Morecambe and Jack with Chesterfield - so both still Cardiff City players.

There you go then. You have just succinctly proved my point.
    Exactly what point does that prove? I am sure as Cardiff FC supporters you understand that Neil Warnock is governed by what the CCFC hierachy ask of him....... So if they say " Willie McKay is trying to bring Emiliano Sala to our club " it is common courtesy that Neil Warnock would need to give Willie McKay the time of day.

I would hazard a guess that Neil Warnock has nothing but disdain for Willie McKay now.

Chances are Willie McKay and a few others will be dragged into court over the untimely death of Emiliano Sala, if the rumours are true surrounding the aircraft operations of the Fatal flight I think that it will be an inward journey for quite a few involved to one of the Queens less salubrious properties.

Having watched the entire subject of Sala's demise unfolding I am fairly confident that instigators of the fateful flight will have a lot of explaining to do and that they won't be able to defend their actions in any way.

There seems to have been a lot of hoodwinking in the planning of the return flight from Nantes. The now deceased pilot must have believed it was an early morning flight back to Cardiff because his flightplan filed was for 0900hrs to fly back ( Daylight Hours ) to Cardiff, it was then changed to 1930hrs to fly back ( Night Hours ) to Cardiff, the pilot was presumably press-ganged into making the flight in the evening & much as he should have declined it I am sure he just wanted to appease those who were calling the shots.

I am not a CCFC fan but I am an Aviator familiar with the type of aircraft in this accident & I am sure the official aviation reports will be an eye watering read for those involved in aviation and a devastating read for those who entrusted Sala to the Agent's control during the transfer process.

Given VT’s long held suspicions about Malky’s transfer dealings I would be surprised if the club hadn’t at least broached the subject with him. Although even those running the club must realise the importance of NW at the moment. Having said that I am sure their priorities off the pitch will be going after those responsible for the transport arrangements if there is any suspicion of negligence

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    We don't.
    We used to.
    We don't now.
    Sometimes it's just a coincidence or a necessity. We need to be sensible and let the authorities do this we are talking about a tradegy that no one could have foreseen, should imagine those who were involved in the transport arrangements must feel dreadful especially the agents son .

Paul, some facts which the Telegraph report doesn`t mention (maybe they don`t know)

1. Willie McKay was made bankrupt in 2015 and would normally have been released from the restrictions of bankruptcy after 12 months. However , because of his conduct leading up to the bankruptcy he is on a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking which means he has all the restrictions of a bankrupt until at least August 2023.

2. Licencing for football agents effectively ceased in 2015 (the football authorities concerns over agents` activities mean they are currently thinking of reintroducing the licencing system). Instead there is a register of authorised intermediaries who are allowed to carry out transactions with clubs and players. Willie McKay has no such authority and should not be involved in any shape or form in such dealings and shouldn`t be acting for FC Nantes , Emiliano Sala or any other football club or player involved in a transfer to a UK club.

2. Willie McKay`s son Mark is registered as an authorised intermediary. To retain that registration , an individual has to submit an annual return effectively confirming that he/she passes a type of "fit and proper person" test. The relevant wording on this does not specifically mention being a director of a company that has been wound up by a court for non-payment of its debts , but perhaps he should have mentioned that this was his case back in 2017 when completing the return.

3. Neil Warnock has previously claimed that he IS a good friend of Willie McKay.

4. Why Neil Warnock felt the need to offer professional football contracts to two other sons of Willie McKay remains a bit of a mystery in footballing ability terms if it was an "arms length" footballing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    Paul, some facts which the Telegraph report doesn`t mention (maybe they don`t know)

1. Willie McKay was made bankrupt in 2015 and would normally have been released from the restrictions of bankruptcy after 12 months. However , because of his conduct leading up to the bankruptcy he is on a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking which means he has all the restrictions of a bankrupt until at least August 2023.

2. Licencing for football agents effectively ceased in 2015 (the football authorities concerns over agents` activities mean they are currently thinking of reintroducing the licencing system). Instead there is a register of authorised intermediaries who are allowed to carry out transactions with clubs and players. Willie McKay has no such authority and should not be involved in any shape or form in such dealings and shouldn`t be acting for FC Nantes , Emiliano Sala or any other football club or player involved in a transfer to a UK club.

2. Willie McKay`s son Mark is registered as an authorised intermediary. To retain that registration , an individual has to submit an annual return effectively confirming that he/she passes a type of "fit and proper person" test. The relevant wording on this does not specifically mention being a director of a company that has been wound up by a court for non-payment of its debts , but perhaps he should have mentioned that this was his case back in 2017 when completing the return.

3. Neil Warnock has previously claimed that he IS a good friend of Willie McKay.

4. Why Neil Warnock felt the need to offer professional football contracts to two other sons of Willie McKay remains a bit of a mystery in footballing ability terms if it was an "arms length" footballing decision.
    I really can't understand how Willie McKay can act as a Football agent whilst being restricted by a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking, so let's assume that is another illegal undertaking that he continues to flaunt the law with.

Does anyone know if The McKay's have their mucky fingers in any UK Premier league teams, I would imagine the likes of Arsenal,Chelsea,West Ham,Liverpool & Man U wouldn't touch The McKay's with a bargepole?

With the current HMRC winding up order on Mercato Sports ( owned by Mark McKay (son) & Janis McKay (wife of Willie) I am hoping the ball will be well & truly burst for the McKay's when it gets in the courtroom.

I am guessing that Neil Warnock might have said he is a good friend of Willie McKay in business terms but I would very much doubt whether he would still be saying that in current circumstances.

From what I can see there is a 'shoe in' trait for sons of football personalities, it doesn't always follow that the DNA of the gifted player is in the son...... it is strange that the McKay twins were given contracts at CCFC but I am sure that it was just part of the Footballing secret handshake that clinched the deal

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3185928

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer46 View Post
    I really can't understand how Willie McKay can act as a Football agent whilst being restricted by a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking, so let's assume that is another illegal undertaking that he continues to flaunt the law with.

Does anyone know if The McKay's have their mucky fingers in any UK Premier league teams, I would imagine the likes of Arsenal,Chelsea,West Ham,Liverpool & Man U wouldn't touch The McKay's with a bargepole?

With the current HMRC winding up order on Mercato Sports ( owned by Mark McKay (son) & Janis McKay (wife of Willie) I am hoping the ball will be well & truly burst for the McKay's when it gets in the courtroom.

I am guessing that Neil Warnock might have said he is a good friend of Willie McKay in business terms but I would very much doubt whether he would still be saying that in current circumstances.

From what I can see there is a 'shoe in' trait for sons of football personalities, it doesn't always follow that the DNA of the gifted player is in the son...... it is strange that the McKay twins were given contracts at CCFC but I am sure that it was just part of the Footballing secret handshake that clinched the deal

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3185928

Mercato Sports(UK) Limited wasn`t actually wound up at the hearing on 23 January , suggesting that HMRC were either paid off or accepted an undertaking to pay them so adjourned the hearing.

Another point to note is that Mercato was set up as a company on 21 March 2017 which was exactly the same day as the liquidation of Excelfoot Limited , another company owned by Mark McKay. It was wound up through the courts by HMRC for non payment of debts.

Excelfoot has filed accounts for the year to 30 November 2015 which show that it bought aircraft that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    Mercato Sports(UK) Limited wasn`t actually wound up at the hearing on 23 January , suggesting that HMRC were either paid off or accepted an undertaking to pay them so adjourned the hearing.

Another point to note is that Mercato was set up as a company on 21 March 2017 which was exactly the same day as the liquidation of Excelfoot Limited , another company owned by Mark McKay. It was wound up through the courts by HMRC for non payment of debts.

Excelfoot has filed accounts for the year to 30 November 2015 which show that it bought aircraft that year.
    So, Excelfoot, owned by Mark McKay, had an aircraft as one of its assets. A lot has been said in the press and posted on here about the mystery of the ownership of the aircraft. Is this fact a new revelation or has it been mentioned before?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    So, Excelfoot, owned by Mark McKay, had an aircraft as one of its assets. A lot has been said in the press and posted on here about the mystery of the ownership of the aircraft. Is this fact a new revelation or has it been mentioned before?
    As I posted in another thread, the Daily Telegraph reported yesterday that the investigators are aware of the identity of the owners of the plane.

As I posted in another thread, the Daily Telegraph reported yesterday that the investigators are aware of the identity of the owners of the plane.
    Yes, but no-one to my knowledge has actually stated publicly who the owners are. This bit of info provided by Keith acknowledges that the McKay’s Company owned (at least at one time) aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Yes, but no-one to my knowledge has actually stated publicly who the owners are. This bit of info provided by Keith acknowledges that the McKay’s Company owned (at least at one time) aircraft.
    Isn't the point that it would appear that the people who really need to know who owns the plane do so? The information should become public when the report is published sometime in the next year. In the mean time, my understanding is that there will be an interim report published shortly which may provide to at least some of the questions being asked currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer46 View Post
    Unfortunately, we can name at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Unfortunately, we can name at least one.
    No we cant. Just because Mckay has acted for a couple of players who have joined our club doesnt mean he has his 'mucky fingers', as you put it, anywhere near us. I find this whole thread distasteful in the extreme.

No we cant. Just because Mckay has acted for a couple of players who have joined our club doesnt mean he has his 'mucky fingers', as you put it, anywhere near us. I find this whole thread distasteful in the extreme.
    We have his two sons under contract, both are over 20 and playing Non League or League 2 on loan. I don't like it either but it's pretty hard to argue we're not involved with him.

I didnt use the phrase 'mucky fingers' but his family's involvement with the club is more than acting for a couple of players.

I’m sharing here an open email I sent to the Club yesterday expressing my support for NW ;

Dear Mr Warnock

I appreciate that I am writing to you during an ongoing highly emotional and traumatic moment in time for not only yourself personally but for Cardiff City Football Club, it’s players, management, staff and supporters and of course above all, Emiliano’s family following his recent passing in the most tragic of circumstances.

However, being a 53 year old football fan of over 45 years myself, I have followed your managerial career over the years and I have to ‘kick off’ here with a negative I’m afraid and state that for the majority of those years I have perceived you to be something of a most arrogant and self opinionated person with a highly autocratic and ruthlessly direct management style.

Perhaps my perception of your management style holds ‘some merit’ (!!), however, I have to admit how so, so wrong I have been in my perception of you, Neil Warnock the man, the husband, the father, the human being.

Having been through six years of absolute hell myself recently following a work related mental health breakdown after a successful 36 year career, an acrimonious divorce as a result (my wife of 21 years was off like a shot seeking pastures new as soon as I was put on half pay) and recently I’ve been retired off on ill health grounds, I can only empathise and express my utmost admiration for the manner in which you have handled this unprecedented and extremely harrowing event with total humility, sincerity, genuine love, care and compassion culminating in that incredible vocal tribute at the end of the recent Bournemouth game where I broke down in tears watching on TV at home as you left the pitch that night.

Furthermore, you have also had to deal with your wife Sharon’s illness on top of recent events so once again I can only express my utmost admiration for you Neil as a person in coping with such adversity.

I am blessed with two wonderful sons aged 18 and 22 who incidentally both played at the CCFC Academy over the years and they have been an absolutely amazing strength and support to me throughout the past few difficult years. My youngest son is currently in Cardiff University and when I took him back to Cardiff on Friday 25th January I took the opportunity to pay a visit to the CCS where the tributes to Emiliano were in their early days and I laid down my Club scarf and paid my respects silently along with several other Cardiff fans, a truly humbling and highly emotional moment for me.

My apologies if I’m rambling on a bit here but I just felt I had to ‘put pen to paper’ (as it would have been in the ‘old’ days !) and convey my thoughts and utmost admiration as to how you have handled this awful tragedy.

One last thing, I haven’t mentioned so far that I am in fact a Swansea City fan of 45 years and when I came to pay my respects at the CCS on 25th January, I laid down my Swans scarf at the statue alongside all the other tributes and stood in silence with City fans side by side.

Bill Shankly is famous for his ‘football is not a matter of life and death .....it’s far more important than that’ quote but I’m sure you’ll agree with me that given recent events football most certainly pales into insignificance at times like this.

Respect, respect, respect Mr Warnock.

Best wishes to you and your family.

...................................... In the mean time, my understanding is that there will be an interim report published shortly which may provide to at least some of the questions being asked currently.
    According to today's Wales Online the interim report will be published before 21 February.