+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you accept an knighthood/damehood ?

Would you accept an knighthood/damehood ?

Why ? Why not ? What for ?

I would . I like the idea of my dad having to call me “Sir Son” ( or “Dame Son” for that matter). For my contributions to recycling (I recycle). I also adopted a dog. I also refrain from being offensive towards members of this board on a regular basis. A colossal effort I’ll have you know.

Re: Would you accept an knighthood/damehood ?

Why : recognition of my charitable ways ?

Why not : because its just and right ?

What for : invites to freebies ?

No, it's a ridiculous system riddled with political favoritism, political horse-trading, posturing and even corruption. And whereby one human is expected to use a deferential title when addressing another, even after they have served a prison sentence. And it is also allied with deference to royalty and the establishment which also contributes to a degree of class divide that is more apparent in this country than in many of our neighbouring countries in Europe.
    Many people moan about unelected politicians but don't seem to be concerned about the peerage system and its place in the House of Lords.
    And can anyone not imagine Boris not being made a peer in due course? Whatever your personal slant on politics may be, he has been an enormous embarrassment on the world stage and a political opportunist at every turn. However, he will recceive his political bauble in due course, no doubt. As will those who donate large sums of money to political parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    No, it's a ridiculous system riddled with political favoritism, political horse-trading, posturing and even corruption. And whereby one human is expected to use a deferential title when addressing another, even after they have served a prison sentence. And it is also allied with deference to royalty and the establishment which also contributes to a degree of class divide that is more apparent in this country than in many of our neighbouring countries in Europe.
    Many people moan about unelected politicians but don't seem to be concerned about the peerage system and its place in the House of Lords.
    And can anyone not imagine Boris not being made a peer in due course? Whatever your personal slant on politics may be, he has been an enormous embarrassment on the world stage and a political opportunist at every turn. However, he will recceive his political bauble in due course, no doubt. As will those who donate large sums of money to political parties.
    Nothing more to be said .

Just about sums it up in nutshell.

Do we still have the :bowdown: smiley?

That is why I turned mine down

Arise Sir Dandy Warhol
    No shove it up your arse

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nothing more to be said .
    The only person who regularly refers to me as "Sir" is my wife but , strangely , she spells it "Cur"

I'd accept a damehood just to appear in the Christmas Pantomine.

No. I wouldn't accept anything from the royal family.

The process itself stinks but, from my opinion at least, it can give a voice to people who wouldn't want a political career, or wouldn't be given a chance at having one, but do have an important contribution to make. Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson was made a Dame in 2010 and while I cannot tell you numbers for disabled MP's in 2010 there were only 3 voted in from the 2015 class, so TGT may have been representing a group of people who otherwise had a very small voice from 2010 onwards. Compare that to Neil Hamilton who has been voted into the Senedd despite all he's done and give me a non-elected house any day.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The process itself stinks but, from my opinion at least, it can give a voice to people who wouldn't want a political career, or wouldn't be given a chance at having one, but do have an important contribution to make. Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson was made a Dame in 2010 and while I cannot tell you numbers for disabled MP's in 2010 there were only 3 voted in from the 2015 class, so TGT may have been representing a group of people who otherwise had a very small voice from 2010 onwards. Compare that to Neil Hamilton who has been voted into the Senedd despite all he's done and give me a non-elected house any day.
    Is an honorific title really required for people to meaningfully participate in public life? And should anyone be given such a position for life? It's an absurd British solution.

My grandmother was given an MBE years ago. When she got the letter she hid it on top of a cupboard and told nobody about it. In her youth she had been in the Communist party and she wasn't at all interested in the award.
    My dad happened to spot it while he was changing a lightbulb at her flat and persuaded her to go, because lots of her colleagues had campaigned for a long time to get her the award.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    My grandmother was given an MBE years ago. When she got the letter she hid it on top of a cupboard and told nobody about it. In her youth she had been in the Communist party and she wasn't at all interested in the award.
    My dad happened to spot it while he was changing a lightbulb at her flat and persuaded her to go, because lots of her colleagues had campaigned for a long time to get her the award.
    Isn't it the case that she would have been approached in advance as to whether she would accept it?

correct me if I'm wrkng but didn't Cameron give his hairdresser a knighthood?
    ffs...shove it up your arse

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This is where it gets complicated, because not all dames are in the house of lords, and certainly a knighthood doesn't give entry to the house of lords.

For exmple, while Dame Tanni is a Baroness, Dame Judy Dench is just a dame. So the title dame doesn't disnguish between someone in the house of lords or a woman with what is ostensibly a knighthood.

Still, there ain't nothinfg like a dame.

Isn't it the case that she would have been approached in advance as to whether she would accept it?
    This is correct. My father was awarded an MBE, and was asked if he'd accept it first. To my eternal shame, he accepted, wnet to Buck house and bowed down to Liz while she pinned a badge on his penguin suit.

Perhaps that's what the letter was regarding. I was about 4 at the time and can't remember any of it.

The only thing I can recall my grandmother ever saying about it was that she was timing the queen having her general chitchat with the other people in the queue as they received their awards, and everyone was exactly the same time, to the second

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Why ? Why not ? What for ?

I would . I like the idea of my dad having to call me “Sir Son” ( or “Dame Son” for that matter). For my contributions to recycling (I recycle). I also adopted a dog. I also refrain from being offensive towards members of this board on a regular basis. A colossal effort I’ll have you know.
    You'd kneel in front of the Queen? This surprises me

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Ugh, imagine having to kneel in front of Charles or William

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd accept a damehood just to appear in the Christmas Pantomine.

Oh no you wouldn’t!

Would he boys and girls?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No. Not really. It’s so inconsequential though (even the kneeling) you could just go for a day out and some free food.