+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you accept an knighthood/damehood ?

Re: Would you accept an knighthood/damehood ?

They give you a badge and then you have to go and collect it. Damn cheek. Get Edward to put it in the post.

I always fancied a Blue Peter badge, but a knighthood/damehood....?

No chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    No. Not really. It’s so inconsequential though (even the kneeling) you could just go for a day out and some free food.
    I'm not a raving anti royalist, I'm just a bit meh about the whole thing, I don't care about them. But there's no way I'd go to the palace and kneel in front of the queen

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm not a raving anti royalist, I'm just a bit meh about the whole thing, I don't care about them. But there's no way I'd go to the palace and kneel in front of the queen

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Well, she is your Queen. Whilst not in person, you have kind of spent your whole life kneeling in front of her ;)

'Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.'

I wonder if the passport people in foreign countries read through this page before allowing entry? “Fockin ell , this geezer’s got friends in high places, let him through !”

It’ll probably have to be redacted post-brexit to something like

'Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State realises you’re probably a bit miffed with all that referendum business and what not but in the name of Her Majesty please let the bearer pass with minimal hindrance as the people in the massive queue are likely getting a bit agitated and afford the bearer basic health cover (paracetamol and plasters should do it) and a restrained degree of retributive action as may be necessary.'

(Btw, I didn’t steal any of the above jokes from Michael McIntyre)

Well, she is your Queen. Whilst not in person, you have kind of spent your whole life kneeling in front of her ;)

'Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.'

I wonder if the passport people in foreign countries read through this page before allowing entry? “Fockin ell , this geezer’s got friends in high places, let him through !”

It’ll probably have to be redacted post-brexit to something like

'Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State realises you’re probably a bit miffed with all that referendum business and what not but in the name of Her Majesty please let the bearer pass with minimal hindrance as the people in the massive queue are likely getting a bit agitated and afford the bearer basic health cover (paracetamol and plasters should do it) and a restrained degree of retributive action as may be necessary.'

(Btw, I didn’t steal any of the above jokes from Michael McIntyre)
    I certainly haven't.

https://www.republic.org.uk

Fill yer boots lads

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.republic.org.uk

Fill yer boots lads
    Unfortunately, it's unlikely to ever happen as a majority of UK citizens probably want a monarchy and number of others are disinterested.

Personally , I think it should be privatised, as it apparently generates profits from tourism and other vague works they put in and if that is the case and the justification for it's existence, make it a private entity that lives or dies by it's ability to generate it's own profits. It is and should be treated like a Disneyland type attraction and should have no institutional powers (which is just barmy). They should also pay taxes (like every other profit-making enterprise)to the state, not the other way around. It's mad that people complain about sponging foreigners when these people are the biggest, most audacious leaches of them all.

Short of that, we can also hope that further powers for managing taxes are devolved to The Senedd. At least that way we might have the freedom to avoid paying taxes to London for silly things like the monarchy. It'd be interesting to see how much of an economic boost the Royals have on Wales. I suspect we'd be better off without them.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely to ever happen as a majority of UK citizens probably want a monarchy and number of others are disinterested.

Personally , I think it should be privatised, as it apparently generates profits from tourism and other vague works they put in and if that is the case and the justification for it's existence, make it a private entity that lives or dies by it's ability to generate it's own profits. It is and should be treated like a Disneyland type attraction and should have no institutional powers (which is just barmy). They should also pay taxes (like every other profit-making enterprise)to the state, not the other way around. It's mad that people complain about sponging foreigners when these people are the biggest, most audacious leaches of them all.

Short of that, we can also hope that further powers for managing taxes are devolved to The Senedd. At least that way we might have the freedom to avoid paying taxes to London for silly things like the monarchy. It'd be interesting to see how much of an economic boost the Royals have on Wales. I suspect we'd be better off without them.
    It doesn't though.

There is no economic benefit to Wales or the rest of the UK for that matter.

A lot of the "myths" surrounding this are debunked within the web page shwon.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    It doesn't though.

There is no economic benefit to Wales or the rest of the UK for that matter.

A lot of the "myths" surrounding this are debunked within the web page shwon.
    It just makes it all the more depressing though!

I still think privatisation is a way forward. Either that or let royalists pay a direct debit every month as a donation. I suspect all those piss poor royalists would soon change their tune when they see twenty quid a month coming off their already meagre bank balance.

They truly are a bunch of scummers (the royal family that is)

That Barry Knight was a twat of a ref !!!!!