+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Gordon Banks

Gordon Banks has died

Gordon Banks RIP

Sad news !

Remember being an 8 year old watching Mexico 1970 World Cup and his fantastic save from Pele.

RIP Gordon Banks

Who could ever forget "that" save from Pele?
    Probably because it gets reeled out almost every time England play!

That said, I liked England football back in those days (spits).

True legend IMO.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/gordon-banks-death-age-cause-england-world-cup-goalkeeper-1966-winner-a8775011.html

Re: RIP Gordon Banks

I'm pretty sure the only time I ever saw Gordon Banks concede a goal in the flesh was in the 1970 Home International Championship when Dick Kryzwicki put Wales 1-0 up at Ninian Park against the then World Champions. I can remember being pretty amazed that Wales had gone ahead (Francis Lee scored a tremendous equaliser to ensure the match finished 1-1) and an awful lot of that feeling stemmed from the fact that we had actually scored past the brilliant Gordon Banks. What should be remembered here is that I felt that way because of the general acceptance that Banks was the best keeper around at that time and this was a few months before the save from Pele which defined his career.

As for that save, goalkeeper is a position on the pitch where you can make direct comparisons between the great names from the past and those from the modern day. Although there is more emphasis on how good keepers are with their feet these days, essentially their job hasn't changed and, with the goals the same size now as they've ever been, what was a brilliant save forty nine years ago would still be a brilliant save today - Banks' was one of the best, if not the best, ever.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only time I ever saw Gordon Banks concede a goal in the flesh was in the 1970 Home International Championship when Dick Kryzwicki put Wales 1-0 up at Ninian Park against the then World Champions. I can remember being pretty amazed that Wales had gone ahead (Francis Lee scored a tremendous equaliser to ensure the match finished 1-1) and an awful lot of that feeling stemmed from the fact that we had actually scored past the brilliant Gordon Banks. What should be remembered here is that I felt that way because of the general acceptance that Banks was the best keeper around at that time and this was a few months before the save from Pele which defined his career.
    RIP Gordon Banks. My condolences to his family and friends.

The first time that I saw Gordon Banks concede a goal, in the flesh, was against the mighty Bluebirds and, IIRC, we won 3-0 at Ninian Park. All week before the game, all I kept hearing was that Banks was like the Bank of England and we weren't going to score. He was the best keeper that I saw play in the flesh and also a true gentleman.

First Team

RIP and thank you for providing one of my best ( and earliest) footballing memories. Was privileged to meet him on many occasions and he was always one of the kindest and most enthusiastic footballers I met. Bizarrely, never quite convinced that ' the save' was quite the miracle that many claim. However, I am very much in the minority on this, am no goalkeeper and certainly remember many other magnificent stops. The fact he attempted to carry on playing after losing an eye is probably testament to his love of the game.

A great goalie, RIP

Superb goalkeeper and I well remember that world cup save but I remember a goal he conceded at Ninian park more clearly.

I think it was a Boxing Day match against Leicester City in the early 60s.

A cross came over from the Bob Bank side Canton end and he stepped off his line and rose majestically into the air to collect it, as the ball entered his hands Peter Donnelly, with a broken arm in a plaster cast was arriving from outside the area he also rose majestically but he was travelling at the speed of sound, plaster cast strategically positioned to fell an enemy or three.

Banksy didn't know what hit him as he and the ball hit the back of the net, yes back of the net not just over the line, dissallowed? not on your nelly, they were playing on a snow/ice covered pitch lines marked out in sand. Snowflakes? zillions of them but not in the team, those were the days lol.

Wonderful keeper, and human being ,he even went onto play with one eye in America delivering a very good standard ,true legend RIP

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wonderful keeper, and human being ,he even went onto play with one eye in America delivering a very good standard ,true legend RIP
    So true. Pele made a great statement saying he was a fantastic goalkeeper, but more importantly, a real gentleman.
    How many current footballers could that apply to ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    So true. Pele made a great statement saying he was a fantastic goalkeeper, but more importantly, a real gentleman.
    How many current footballers could that apply to ?
    Most probably the majority of current footballers are decent people, it’s just that the majority don’t make the front of the papers. Of course Gordon Banks was known to be a real gentleman but there were some dodgy characters about in his day as well, proven bribery cases, the ‘white as snow’ Don Revie’s Leeds side etc. The contributions to Emiliano Sala’s & David Ibbotson’s recovery costs have been considerably added to by some of the current game’s gentlemen.