Thread: Cardiff will be honourable with Nantes on Sala Transfer

Cardiff will be honourable with Nantes on Sala Transfer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47213352

Hope this is settled quickly.

Re: Cardiff will be honourable with Nantes on Sala Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47213352

Hope this is settled quickly.
    With £15m at stake I doubt it will be ........ but if we are liable I'm glad the club have come out and publicly stated they will honour the transfer fee

I just don't understand how we can withold it. Are we saying there may be something that means he wasn't our player and then therefore wouldn't have to pay? That would be far more damaging to the club than losing 15 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I just don't understand how we can withold it. Are we saying there may be something that means he wasn't our player and then therefore wouldn't have to pay? That would be far more damaging to the club than losing 15 mil.
    Maybe they need to be 100% he was our player for any insurance claim purposes.

Pay the first installment and go from there, If it turns out we didn't owe it, claim it back.

We really don't know the circumstances. What if a portion of the fee was to be paid by Nantes to a third party for their involvement in the transfer? Should any portion of onward payments, if any, be withheld until conclusions are reached? All this is pure speculation but while there are questions to be answered about all aspects of the flight it would be foolish of the club to pay up until the full facts are known. The club know far more than we do meaning they are in a position to judge the best way forward.

I reckon I’m going to go along with whatever the City heirarchy decide. The club seem to have been sympathetic, strong, understanding, forthcoming & straight down the middle as far as I can see. The club has said it’ll do the right thing, ie pay whatever is due or not, whichever it’ll be. I’ve no reason to distrust the board’s actions in this case going on the way the club has conducted themselves since the tragedy. I sincerely hope my belief is borne out in the long run.

Isn’t he just stating if legally if we find have to pay it we will?

Why would that be more damaging to the club?

This thread will just be a rerun of the one we had last week. Despite Dalman's statement or interview with BBC Wales we still do not know what the anomolies are in the transfer that raises doubts or complications about the fee (and other) liabilities.

It won't stop endless speculation and opinion dressed up as incontrovertible fact, though.

Like many others I am happy to trust the club in this and wait.

Whilst the investigation is ongoing Nantes have initiated a process that could lead to an outcome through law or arbitration that trumps what the club are doing, and there will continue to be critical press coverage. But that may just be the risk and the price of getting it right.

In the meantime the team and (most importantly) the Sala and Ibbotson families need to be protected from any fallout from this dispute (or at this stage 'potential dispute') - and so far that seems to be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    This thread will just be a rerun of the one we had last week. Despite Dalman's statement or interview with BBC Wales we still do not know what the anomolies are in the transfer that raises doubts or complications about the fee (and other) liabilities.

It won't stop endless speculation and opinion dressed up as incontrovertible fact, though.

Like many others I am happy to trust the club in this and wait.

Whilst the investigation is ongoing Nantes have initiated a process that could lead to an outcome through law or arbitration that trumps what the club are doing, and there will continue to be critical press coverage. But that may just be the risk and the price of getting it right.

In the meantime the team and (most importantly) the Sala and Ibbotson families need to be protected from any fallout from this dispute (or at this stage 'potential dispute') - and so far that seems to be happening.
    👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Maybe he thinks that Cardiff not paying up may make it harder to sign players in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by JennyWren View Post
    Maybe he thinks that Cardiff not paying up may make it harder to sign players in the future?
    Give it a rest jirga

Do you think other clubs may be cautious if we didn't pay the transfer fee?

I think it is likely that there is a loophole in the contract that means that we are not contractually obliged to pay for him. If Cardiff pull that stunt off, it may save them £15m, but you would be really stupid if you concluded that there would be no long term reputational damage to us.

Yeah I imagine clubs will be afraid to take money off Cardiff just in case the player dies in tragic circumstances. Give your head a wobble jirga.

I don't know what an "interim report" entails when it comes to the AAIB, but one is due from them in the next few weeks and, hopefully, that will provide a few answers - it's possible, but unlikely I'd guess, that this is what City are waiting for before paying up.

I got the impression the club wanted clarity on registration (surely straightforward - but if not completed a legal mine field); and,

Some combination of plane ownership, arrangements, any Nantes involvement on delaying player return, etc. (again potential for a legal minefield)

I hope it’s clear and resolved quickly but I’d expect insurance companies will want the clarity and may themselves push proceedings hence Cardiff’s legal advice to sit tight right now

Q

Personally I’ve put all this at the back of my mind now and I just wished both teams kept all this out of the papers.

Whilst we may never know the details, to those outside the club it would appear that we had wriggled out of paying the fee because the lad had passed away. For me that would be crass and a PR disaster.

Only reason he was on the plane was because he had signed for us.

Whilst we may never know the details, to those outside the club it would appear that we had wriggled out of paying the fee because the lad had passed away. For me that would be crass and a PR disaster.

Only reason he was on the plane was because he had signed for us.
    Every single business would act in the same way, as crass as it may seem no one is going to just hand over £15 million quid without doing the due diligence to the legality of it.

Sala’s memory or the classy way the club have handled the situation shouldn’t be tarnished by the business side of it.

Every single business would act in the same way, as crass as it may seem no one is going to just hand over £15 million quid without doing the due diligence to the legality of it.

Sala’s memory or the classy way the club have handled the situation shouldn’t be tarnished by the business side of it.
    Agreed 100%

I agree it shouldn't, but in my opinion it will be if this is dragged on. The press certainly won't just let it go.

Obviously we can only specualte on what they are looking at and I'm happy to trust the club. If there is though a slight criticism of the club it's that I wish they hadn't commented regarding the payment or the nantes legal action.

I don’t think any PR is bad enough to just give away £15 million without checking everything first.

In every article and podcast I’ve seen this week we are still being praised inspite of this.

It’s a business at the end of the day, Sala’s memory isn’t tainted by it at all.

We do not know he facts. If there's compelling evidence to delay or even refuse to pay then we should. I wouldn't expect any business or football club to act in any other way especially when there is so much at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    We do not know he facts. If there's compelling evidence to delay or even refuse to pay then we should. I wouldn't expect any business or football club to act in any other way especially when there is so much at stake.
    In an ideal world, Nantes and Cardiff could come to a compromise agreement and agree to pay say half of the fee. I know it would never happen though.