+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "That" save

"That" save

Was it really that good? I remember thinking so as a kid back in 1970, but having seen it re-run several times in the last 24 hours, I'm not so sure.

Some years ago, when interviewed by Michael Aspel, Gordon Banks didn't even mention it as his "best save" but chose one from an England v Scotland game at Wembley when Dennis Law was 1 to 1 with him.

It wasn't weven the main thing I remember about the 1970 World Cup. Bobby Moore was the huge headline as I remember.

Re: "That" save

It's the same with the Maradona 'goal of the century'. Terrible tackling and the ball went in at the end after the England defender kicks Maradona's foot against the ball and into the net..

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Was it really that good? I remember thinking so as a kid back in 1970, but having seen it re-run several times in the last 24 hours, I'm not so sure.

Some years ago, when interviewed by Michael Aspel, Gordon Banks didn't even mention it as his "best save" but chose one from an England v Scotland game at Wembley when Dennis Law was 1 to 1 with him.

It wasn't weven the main thing I remember about the 1970 World Cup. Bobby Moore was the huge headline as I remember.
    Glad it's not just me who thinks that about "the save". I'm not so sure it was that hyped at the time but has grown in legend since then. I'm sure I've also seen an interview where Banks himself played it down

I wonder if it's just because we are British so most focus is on English media which is why. For example is it something Italian would even know about. Also the fact it's against someone who is considered the greatest. Funny when I watch back Premier League years shows the more I think was Schmeichel even that good .

It was and still is a brilliant save.

In the context of 50 years passing and it being seen thousands of times, it's not surprising it's become less impressive. Without being too armchair-psycho-analytical, I expect that because we 'know' he'll save it from the moment it's crossed, we can never experience the surprise that he keeps it out at such speed. It's still exceptional. Even now you don't see keepers getting down like that very often.

As for the Schmeichel comment above, I actually watch the old reruns and think how amazing he was. Best keeper of the 90s in my opinion (Buffon in the 00s if anyone cares).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is indeed a very good save but the tag the greatest save of all time is what I more have the issue with

Of course it’s all subjective but growing up the most memorable save that stuck in my mind from English football ( not Cardiff related) was the Jim Montgomery double save in the 73 FA cup final - the 2nd save in the sequence was incredible and it was more important as Sunderland went on to win the Cup whereas England lost that game to Brazil. That to me seemed to be the best ever save I saw on TV ( always harder to recall from games seen live)

Dino Zoff’s save for Italy against Brazil from a header in the 82 World Cup was pretty special too

Talking of seeing saves live and Cardiff related I thought Etheridges save against Bournemouth the other week when he tipped the ball onto the bar was pretty amazing and didn’t seem to get as much credit at the time as I thought it should

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Interesting to note a number of retired keepers that I've heard on the radio agree.One guy gave a bit of a technical insight as to why its so regarded which made me think.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It is indeed a very good save but the tag the greatest save of all time is what I more have the issue with

Of course it’s all subjective but growing up the most memorable save that stuck in my mind from English football ( not Cardiff related) was the Jim Montgomery double save in the 73 FA cup final - the 2nd save in the sequence was incredible and it was more important as Sunderland went on to win the Cup whereas England lost that game to Brazil. That to me seemed to be the best ever save I saw on TV ( always harder to recall from games seen live)

Dino Zoff’s save for Italy against Brazil from a header in the 82 World Cup was pretty special too

Talking of seeing saves live and Cardiff related I thought Etheridges save against Bournemouth the other week when he tipped the ball onto the bar was pretty amazing and didn’t seem to get as much credit at the time as I thought it should
    I've just been looking for Bill Irwin's "save of the season" against Leeds in the FA Cup, but couldn't find it anywhere - I remember that as being something special and the last one in this compilation is tremendous as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875pgy4NxG4

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's the same with the Maradona 'goal of the century'. Terrible tackling and the ball went in at the end after the England defender kicks Maradona's foot against the ball and into the net..
    Best goal ive ever seen by a mile.

'That' save I think is only held in such high regard because Banks managed to guide the ball (unintentionally) up and around the post and the trajectory it took seemed impossible. If he had just held onto the ball or just tipped it around the post I don't think it would be the 'greatest' as some think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    you’re joking right?

It was a magnificent save debatable it was the greatest but I don’t think you’d find much better

It was an absolutely fantastic save, though it was made (slightly) easier by Pele's header bouncing where it did - if he'd headed it a little closer to the goal I don't think Banks would have saved it.

David Marshall's Villa save was an amazing reaction save.

Schmeichel was an exceptional keeper, nowt better than him in the 90s. Even more remarkable because of his size - and I don't mean his height.

You see amazing saves fairly regularly nowadays as every match is recorded. In 1970 there were relatively very few matches seen on tv.
    Also, seeing as it was on the world cup, THE biggest stage, being watched all over the world live (virtually unheard of back then), I think it's only fair it was considered "the" best ever at that time.
    Nostalgia also plays it's part and Pele was considered the best player ever.
    (note that this was the first time I'd ever seen a football match in colour!)

I still think it was a special save and as was mentioned in another thread, it would be special even today.

I am therefore of the opinion that it is the best save of all time

https://youtu.be/CjOxwY1Wt3I
    In my humble opinion, this was the best keeper I’ve ever seen.

David Seaman’s save against Sheff Utd in the FA Cup stands out as the best save I think I’ve seen.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    https://youtu.be/CjOxwY1Wt3I
    In my humble opinion, this was the best keeper I’ve ever seen.
    But there was two of him!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Gotta be honest, when it was jumpers for goalposts, I was always Lev Yashin but between him & Banks of England, I was inspired to play as a goal keeper for the following 3 decades.

RIP Gordon

Obviously been on a lot, rated it then, and still of the same opinion a top quality save, as a keeper in the school playground I was banks when i played at the back i was Paul Breitner, never managed to advance to midfield or striker

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He could move for a porker! 😂

He could move for a porker! 😂
    Unfortunately though it wasn’t because of his size that the chant “there’s only two Andy Goram’s” was sung.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    Unfortunately though it wasn’t because of his size that the chant “there’s only two Andy Goram’s” was sung.
    What was the reason?

What was the reason?
    Schizophrenia