+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "That" save

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "That" save

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Was it really that good? I remember thinking so as a kid back in 1970, but having seen it re-run several times in the last 24 hours, I'm not so sure.

Some years ago, when interviewed by Michael Aspel, Gordon Banks didn't even mention it as his "best save" but chose one from an England v Scotland game at Wembley when Dennis Law was 1 to 1 with him.

It wasn't weven the main thing I remember about the 1970 World Cup. Bobby Moore was the huge headline as I remember.
    Glad it's not just me who thinks that about "the save". I'm not so sure it was that hyped at the time but has grown in legend since then. I'm sure I've also seen an interview where Banks himself played it down

Re: "That" save

I wonder if it's just because we are British so most focus is on English media which is why. For example is it something Italian would even know about. Also the fact it's against someone who is considered the greatest. Funny when I watch back Premier League years shows the more I think was Schmeichel even that good .