+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton

Look how small he looks on Football Focus, I know Dan Walker is a beanpole but.....

Re: Peter Shilton

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Look how small he looks on Football Focus, I know Dan Walker is a beanpole but.....
    He admits by modern standards he'd struggle to be selected as a keeper, think he was just about 6 ft, if that in his prime

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    He admits by modern standards he'd struggle to be selected as a keeper, think he was just about 6 ft, if that in his prime
    No sure how true or it was medically possible. However, rumour was that he used to hand off door tops with weights attached to his feet in order to stretch himself as he was aware of his restricted growth.

In modern day you have Casillas, Valdes, Sommer who have all been good enough, Sommer pretty much at the top of his game at the moment. Fair few making a living for themselves while not particularly being thought of as top keepers too, Bravo at Man City, Enyeama.

I would imagine the challenges faced in SHilton's day wouldn't be much different to now, same sized goals and all that, if anything you probably get better protection on challenges.

Maradona outjumped him...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Maradona outjumped him...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    No sure how true or it was medically possible. However, rumour was that he used to hand off door tops with weights attached to his feet in order to stretch himself as he was aware of his restricted growth.
    I’d heard something similar. I heard he used to hang from the stair bannister and it resulted in longer arms.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    I’d heard something similar. I heard he used to hang from the stair bannister and it resulted in longer arms.
    Aw c’mon I just said how small he looked, I didn’t mention that he had his right arm draped over Dan Walker, Martin Keown & Dion Dublin’s shoulders 😜