Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Madine

Gary Madine

Re: Gary Madine

He’s found his mojo again

He's a God, and this keeps his 6 million tag alive

How much was the loan fee, and do they have an option to buy ?

Perhaps he's not quite as bad as some people would like us to believe. I have always thought that with the right service he would score goals.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Perhaps he's not quite as bad as some people would like us to believe. I have always thought that with the right service he would score goals.
    Yep ,he was dammed to hell after the Wolves game and having the balls to have a go.

However Premiership ? maybe a leap to far .

Warnock knows what he can or can't do,from the training ground.

Goal machine

Heisenberg

He's scored 2 goals in 13 months... Good job the right service came in eventually.

Still one of our worst ever signings.

Maybe he can find some sort of form and return an entirely different player, one that doesn’t look completely out of his depth.

Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He's scored 2 goals in 13 months... Good job the right service came in eventually.
    Exactly, I’ve seen enough of him to know he’s not good enough for us

My opinion comes from what I watched . He was awful... I dont say that with any delight, but he wasnt good enough in the championship for us .
    I much prefer to wax lyrical about our own players .

I can only say I didn't see enough of him , he joined in the tough January window ,got Injured quickly , broken ribs I think and something quickly after that , my understanding away at Ipswich he put himself about and created space in a very valuable win .

He had his Wolves moment .

We went up and didn't feature .

I honestly don't know what to think other than he's a decent championship player whom we might need next year,so. I wish him and his confidence well.

Being controversial he was worth every penny of his £2m or £6m whatever it was. His signing spurred Ken out of his slumber and imo helped get us over the line.
    On his actual ability, jury out for me as he never had a chance because of injury and Ken's form. My gut feel though a Championship footballer at best.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Being controversial he was worth every penny of his £2m or £6m whatever it was. His signing spurred Ken out of his slumber and imo helped get us over the line.
    On his actual ability, jury out for me as he never had a chance because of injury and Ken's form. My gut feel though a Championship footballer at best.
    Similar to my thinking.
    I think I only missed 1 game home or away after he signed and I’m still unsure over him.

The ‘ £6m ‘ fee doesn’t help at all.

Clearly the manager and coaches don’t think he’s up to the Prem and we need better.

I hope he scored a load at United and enhances his confidence and value so that if we stay up we can sell him and recoup as much as possible.

If we go down he may we’ll prove useful next season

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Similar to my thinking.
    I think I only missed 1 game home or away after he signed and I’m still unsure over him.

The ‘ £6m ‘ fee doesn’t help at all.

Clearly the manager and coaches don’t think he’s up to the Prem and we need better.

I hope he scored a load at United and enhances his confidence and value so that if we stay up we can sell him and recoup as much as possible.

If we go down he may we’ll prove useful next season
    I think as Cardiff fans we are massively behind the times in transfer fees.

Madine is a decent championship striker. It is no surprise at all he is doing ok back in that league. He had plenty of goals for an awful Bolton side before we signed him. He also did contribute for us just not with goals. He was never going to be good enough for the premier league.

If we paid about 2/3 million up front then going up to 6 million with promotion, well I think that’s probably about market value. Hopefully he keeps this up and at the very least we make money on our initial payment for him even if we don’t get the full 6 million.

Cardiff fans only hate him because of his price tag.

Now I say that falls on CCFC not Madine

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Who hates him? There’s a difference between saying this playing wasn’t ever good enough and hating him.

I’d seen him play enough before we’d signed him to know he wasn’t good enough. If we’d have spent £600,000 on him I’d have though the same.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Nobody "hates" him. That's laughable. If fans were to actively dislike him for any reason though, isn't it more likely to be due to the incidents of violence off the pitch? That seems like more of a valid reason.

Fans didn't rate players like Gestede, despite being a free transfer... So the price tag argument falls apart, but again, nobody "hated" him either

For arguments sake, I don't rate Madine because his goal scoring record is well below average and he was having his first semi-decent spell of goals at Championship level (approx. 1 in 3) when we signed him.

He also seemed like a panic buy on the last day of the January window after we publicly missed out on other targets (e.g. Grabban), which didn't fill me with confidence in the reasons for signing him.

Regarding the price tag... Whatever it was, it's looking like a waste of money now, but, like Cornelius, there is no point dwelling on it. Saying that, I do find it slightly amusing when I read about his two assists contributing enough to our season to be deemed value for money by a few posters... considering Armand Traore (a left back) managed a goal and an assist for us last season in only 4 games. It's also amusing that he's now scored for the first time since January 2018 and it's suddenly "I always knew he'd come good" from a certain few.

Best of luck to him and I hope he plays well enough on loan at Sheffield United that they take a punt on him in the summer because he certainly isn't good enough for us.

Nobody "hates" him. That's laughable. If fans were to actively dislike him for any reason though, isn't it more likely to be due to the incidents of violence off the pitch? That seems like more of a valid reason.

Fans didn't rate players like Gestede, despite being a free transfer... So the price tag argument falls apart, but again, nobody "hated" him either

For arguments sake, I don't rate Madine because his goal scoring record is well below average and he was having his first semi-decent spell of goals at Championship level (approx. 1 in 3) when we signed him.

He also seemed like a panic buy on the last day of the January window after we publicly missed out on other targets (e.g. Grabban), which didn't fill me with confidence in the reasons for signing him.

Regarding the price tag... Whatever it was, it's looking like a waste of money now, but, like Cornelius, there is no point dwelling on it. Saying that, I do find it slightly amusing when I read about his two assists contributing enough to our season to be deemed value for money by a few posters... considering Armand Traore (a left back) managed a goal and an assist for us last season in only 4 games. It's also amusing that he's now scored for the first time since January 2018 and it's suddenly "I always knew he'd come good" from a certain few.

Best of luck to him and I hope he plays well enough on loan at Sheffield United that they take a punt on him in the summer because he certainly isn't good enough for us.
    Exactly right. Well said.

The ‘assists’ comments that people trot out is just embarrassing.

I wish him the best but he isn’t good enough for us and never has been.

Trouble is 'some people' cant see past the end of their own noses. They had made up their mind that they didn't like him before he had kicked a ball for us, so no matter what he did he was always going to be a failure. I believe that the 'welcome' message on this board from one particular poster was along the lines of 'get back on the next train to Bolton and I will personally pay for your ticket'. He was part of the squad that got us into the Premier League and if he hadn't got his two goal assists in the Sheff Utd and Ipswich games we wouldn't have gone up. The £6m fee paid pails into insignificance if you balance it against the £100m + we are getting from being in the Prem as well. He has only actually made 19 appearances for us in total, of which I believe that 7 or 8 were starts and the others as subs. Therefore saying that he has only scored two goals in the last 13 months is misleading, as in that time he has only started 10 games. Two goals and two assists from the last three Championship games indicates that he is a much better championship level player than he is being given credit for on here and after all, the reason we signed him in the first place was to play in the Championship and help get us promotion.

Heisenberg

Where to start with all that?!

Trouble is that you're blinded by anything 'Cardiff City' and won't allow anyone else to have an opinion that differs from yours.

People who had "made their mind up" "before he had kicked a ball for us" would have been happy to have been proven wrong, that's what you fail to understand. It was a totally underwhelming signing that screamed 'panic buy!' and fans were justified to treat it with an ounce of scepticism.

" if he hadn't got his two goal assists in the Sheff Utd and Ipswich games we wouldn't have gone up"
    - that's nonsense in the same way that you can't say that he cost us a point against Wolves with his penalty miss or cost us points at Derby when he had a complete shocker etc. There are far too may permutations in a game (never mind a season) to suggest that we wouldn't have got promoted without his two touches of the ball which resulted in other players scoring.

"The £6m fee paid pails into insignificance if you balance it against the £100m + we are getting from being in the Prem as well." - - you've rolled this comment out previously and my response was something along the lines of "if he had cost £90m, would you have been saying that it was still worth it because we're getting Premier League money now?" - sorry, but it's just a ridiculous statement.

"He has only actually made 19 appearances for us in total, of which I believe that 7 or 8 were starts and the others as subs. Therefore saying that he has only scored two goals in the last 13 months is misleading, as in that time he has only started 10 games." - how is it misleading? It's entirely true and the fact that he "only started 10 games" for us in that time just adds to the point that he's not been anywhere near good enough for us. He could have started every game for us in that time and I'm not sure he wouldn't have been taken off in every game having not scored.

"Two goals and two assists from the last three Championship games indicates that he is a much better championship level player than he is being given credit for on here and after all, the reason we signed him in the first place was to play in the Championship and help get us promotion." - wait a second... so you can judge a player from his last 3 games but shout down others who judge players by their entire careers. Hypocrite, much? If he can continue his incredible form from his last 3 games (trying not to laugh), then he may prove doubters wrong to an extent... but one thing that it won't prove is that he was very poor when playing for us which is the opinion of a lot of your fellow fans.

Fin.

Was Warnock wrong to loan him out, or not get the best from him?

Where to start with all that?!

Trouble is that you're blinded by anything 'Cardiff City' and won't allow anyone else to have an opinion that differs from yours.

People who had "made their mind up" "before he had kicked a ball for us" would have been happy to have been proven wrong, that's what you fail to understand. It was a totally underwhelming signing that screamed 'panic buy!' and fans were justified to treat it with an ounce of scepticism.

" if he hadn't got his two goal assists in the Sheff Utd and Ipswich games we wouldn't have gone up"
    - that's nonsense in the same way that you can't say that he cost us a point against Wolves with his penalty miss or cost us points at Derby when he had a complete shocker etc. There are far too may permutations in a game (never mind a season) to suggest that we wouldn't have got promoted without his two touches of the ball which resulted in other players scoring.

"The £6m fee paid pails into insignificance if you balance it against the £100m + we are getting from being in the Prem as well." - - you've rolled this comment out previously and my response was something along the lines of "if he had cost £90m, would you have been saying that it was still worth it because we're getting Premier League money now?" - sorry, but it's just a ridiculous statement.

"He has only actually made 19 appearances for us in total, of which I believe that 7 or 8 were starts and the others as subs. Therefore saying that he has only scored two goals in the last 13 months is misleading, as in that time he has only started 10 games." - how is it misleading? It's entirely true and the fact that he "only started 10 games" for us in that time just adds to the point that he's not been anywhere near good enough for us. He could have started every game for us in that time and I'm not sure he wouldn't have been taken off in every game having not scored.

"Two goals and two assists from the last three Championship games indicates that he is a much better championship level player than he is being given credit for on here and after all, the reason we signed him in the first place was to play in the Championship and help get us promotion." - wait a second... so you can judge a player from his last 3 games but shout down others who judge players by their entire careers. Hypocrite, much? If he can continue his incredible form from his last 3 games (trying not to laugh), then he may prove doubters wrong to an extent... but one thing that it won't prove is that he was very poor when playing for us which is the opinion of a lot of your fellow fans.

Fin.
    How does me disagreeing with your posts on this issue stop you or anyone else from having any other opinions. Its a forum isnt it ?

In this case, you are blinded by the fact that you dont like him and never have. If Madine volleyed in a goal from 30 yards you would say that he tripped as he was about to hit it. He also didnt 'miss' his penalty against Wolves - it was saved by their goalie. Hoilett missed his. Him not scoring that penalty made absolutely no difference to our promotion as we went up anyway, even though we lost and were 9 points behind Wolves in the end. There are also just as many 'fellow fans' on here who are supportive of Madine as are against him like you are, so thats a distortion of the truth. In the Sheffield Utd game he headed the ball into Pilkingtons path for him to score in the last minute and rescue a point, so for you to say that is inconsequential is laughable. If he had misplaced his header you would be the first person to have a go at him for being inept and accuse him of costing us the game. He was also out injured for 6 or 7 games last season with broken ribs and a broken nose, not dropped by the manager because he was useless as you make out. Your semi concealed dig/joke in the last sentance of your post reveals your true thoughts about the player. I happen to believe that players should be given a fair chance by fans before being written off and this clearly didnt happen in this case last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Was Warnock wrong to loan him out, or not get the best from him?
    No. This season we have signed better players and gone in a slightly different direction in terms of tactics, so Madine clearly didn't fit in to the overall plan. That doesnt mean he is a poor player or deserves the criticism he got in some quarters whilst here. In my opinion he is a good quality Championship level player who was unlucky with injuries last season but contributed to our promotion, so should be given more respect by people who decided before he came here he wasnt good enough, probably due to reasons other than anything related to football.

it's a shame England don't have a game coming.up while Madine is in this hot streak.