+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City players who have polarised opinion

Re: City players who have polarised opinion

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Fabio - 100% trier yes, but imo one of the worst footballers ive seen in our defence for years.

Couldn't pass, head, cross a ball, positionally awful and questionable temperament but because he ran headlong into tackles a lot of people loved him. Many didn't, including me.
    Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Neil Alexander. I thought he was excellent & made "that save" as Trashton Gate. Others had a different opinion.
    That would be my shout too. Super-Kev too as one who some really loved and others saw only a limited footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    FABIO - Christ what a terrible footballer - but he shouts at the crowd and has ''PASHUN'' so many think he's what we need. Worst left back we've had at the new stadium apart from Naylor. Oh, and Kennedy was pretty crap too
    Talented writer through. It was "his" diary, wasn't it?

The rules are this-If a player possesses natural ability and match winning tendencies, he will polarise opinion as he will be deemed lazy, powder puff etc when he isn't producing moments of brilliance. The opposite is afforded to those who struggle to control the ball, can't pass or even play but run their bollocks off, give away free kicks and generally show an emotive side to their game-We seem to adore a trier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The rules are this-If a player possesses natural ability and match winning tendencies, he will polarise opinion as he will be deemed lazy, powder puff etc when he isn't producing moments of brilliance. The opposite is afforded to those who struggle to control the ball, can't pass or even play but run their bollocks off, give away free kicks and generally show an emotive side to their game-We seem to adore a trier.
    I guess that's because the majority of us see ourselves as the second of the two above options when we played football at a pretty low standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is very true - a good observation.

Thinking about it, nearly every player falls into one of these two categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It is interesting to see the arguments start again about whether Gary Madine is any good or not, now that he has finally scored a goal, except not for us, but someone else.

He seems to really polarise opinion in the Cardiff City fanbase rather like Richard Langley did when he played for us, as did Mats Moller Daehli.

My Dad never liked Doug Livermore and yet I suspect that he was a pretty steady player for us.

Who else should be on the list?
    I don’t remember Arthur Daehli polarising opinion. I seem to recall people thinking that he was lightweight, not quick enough and ineffective. One of Ole’s poor signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I don’t remember Arthur Daehli polarising opinion. I seem to recall people thinking that he was lightweight, not quick enough and ineffective. One of Ole’s poor signings.
    Don't you remember people on here calling him the next Iniesta?!

Some people thought that he was brilliant.

(Unlike the rest of OGS signing who all looked useless, or we didn't see enough of, Daehli seemed to play quite a bit and therefore provoked lots of debate.)

Don't you remember people on here calling him the next Iniesta?!

Some people thought that he was brilliant.

(Unlike the rest of OGS signing who all looked useless, or we didn't see enough of, Daehli seemed to play quite a bit and therefore provoked lots of debate.)
    Now you mention the Iniesta comparison, yes, I do remember. I still can’t imagine why they thought that.

Nathan Blake. A man with a lot of talent but seemed to put in very little effort.

International

do you think George north polarised rugby opinion in the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No.

Theyll be all backing him Saturday screaming cmon Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think it’s easier to list the players that didn’t divide as there’s a lot of criticism for most of our players, now and in previous years
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Nathan Blake. A man with a lot of talent but seemed to put in very little effort.
    From the same/similar era....Nicky Richardson.....Chris Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    From the same/similar era....Nicky Richardson.....Chris Pike.
    I always rated Richardson, and Pikey certainly knew where the goal was.

I always rated Richardson, and Pikey certainly knew where the goal was.
    Carl Dale was the boy though.

I have heard the term cart-horse being used to describe Pikey.

Nicky Richardson wore contact lenses ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Interesting that when I think to rugby players who have divided opinion it is also people like arwel Thomas and James hook who spring to mind, talented individuals who are perhaps not as consistent as others. I guess the same applies to some of the footballers mentioned here

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Interesting that when I think to rugby players who have divided opinion it is also people like arwel Thomas and James hook who spring to mind, talented individuals who are perhaps not as consistent as others. I guess the same applies to some of the footballers mentioned here
    Alex Cuthbert

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Hook’s problem was he could play too many positions whether or not he was good enough to make it at number 10 which I have my doubts he certainly should’ve been starting at 13

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Alex Cuthbert
    In my experience, there is a pretty good consensus about him

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Carl Dale was the boy though.

I have heard the term cart-horse being used to describe Pikey.

Nicky Richardson wore contact lenses ffs.
    I always remember bumping into Pikey in a bar in Greyfriars Road - he wasn't as pleased to see me as I was him.

Nicky R had long hair too.......

Gareth Bale, he’ll only be really appreciated when the sell on clause money materialises.