+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RESULT Shamima Begum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: RESULT Shamima Begum

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    But her parents were born in Bangladesh, that is why "5" applies she is a descendant of two Bangladesh citizens, I am going to give up now, no good me posting a link that clarifies that she is automatically a Bangladesh citizen no matter where she was born, and not many can understand what it means
    This is the point though, it doesn't say that. It says she is entitled to it. The birth still has to be registered at the Bangladeshi Consulate/Mission.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    This is the point though, it doesn't say that. It says she is entitled to it. The birth still has to be registered at the Bangladeshi Consulate/Mission.
    OK so they register it now, but obviously they are not going to do that, but the importunity is there, this is what the government case will be about, and of course as she is married to a Dutchman she can become a Citizen of his country, two opportunities for her not to become stateless, we will see how this plays out, I am sure Jared has had plenty of legal advice of the barristers.

OK so they register it now, but obviously they are not going to do that, but the importunity is there, this is what the government case will be about, and of course as she is married to a Dutchman she can become a Citizen of his country, two opportunities for her not to become stateless, we will see how this plays out, I am sure Jared has had plenty of legal advice of the barristers.
    I don't think she's entitled to Dutch citizenship. I think Bangladesh is her only option, and as you say, if she hasn't got this already she's unlikely to apply for it in a hurry.

Can you explain why the Dutch or Bangladesh would want to give her a citizenship when they don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Can you explain why the Dutch or Bangladesh would want to give her a citizenship when they don't have to?
    Because she would be entitled to it they have to according to their laws, apparently she was married to the Dutch guy as soon as she arrived, that makes it nearly 4 years with him and only three years are required for citizenship, as for the other part Bangladesh gov has said that she would be a citizen if one or two of her parents were Bangladesh citizens when she was born, it does not say a time limit when they should notify them of her birth!

Because she would be entitled to it they have to according to their laws, apparently she was married to the Dutch guy as soon as she arrived, that makes it nearly 4 years with him and only three years are required for citizenship, as for the other part Bangladesh gov has said that she would be a citizen if one or two of her parents were Bangladesh citizens when she was born, it does not say a time limit when they should notify them of her birth!
    But if we've ripped it up, and she's not applied for either, why should they let her? Her strongest citizenship claim is here, as she was born here.

Also, frankly I don't care what she does. What I do care about is our government removing someone's citizenship without any process whatsoever.