+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: RESULT Shamima Begum

Re: RESULT Shamima Begum

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    But there will be many that see it as justified.
    Can we deport those people?

Heisenberg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313657

'Hoda Muthana: Trump says IS woman barred from US return'

Similar case occurring in the States now.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Yes of course we did, and we all agree that was wrong, but while it could easily happen again ? ? ( though the day and age of them finding it easy to abuse power must have gone, as the people are alot more connected ) it might not and imho if we take this incident alone and treat it as a one-off, then the government has done the right thing, which is follow the opinion of the mass's ( for once )
    This tickled me, and got me thinking - are there any recent examples of the government abusing its power (or attempting to) or are those days in the past thanks to Twitter?

I thought of the Gina Miller court case where the government wanted to exercise article 50 without parliament's approval, and the government paying £1bn of taxpayer money to the DUP to get enough seats to 'win' the election. The ferry contract to a company with no ferries seems to have a few question marks over it. Any other recent ones?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This tickled me, and got me thinking - are there any recent examples of the government abusing its power (or attempting to) or are those days in the past thanks to Twitter?

I thought of the Gina Miller court case where the government wanted to exercise article 50 without parliament's approval, and the government paying £1bn of taxpayer money to the DUP to get enough seats to 'win' the election. The ferry contract to a company with no ferries seems to have a few question marks over it. Any other recent ones?
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...iminal-offence

The government taking the referendum as minding despite one of its biggest backers being illegally funded. Deporting windrush citizens then arresting those who protested against it on terrorist offences. Theresa May being best pals with Paul Darce and Aaron Banks and refusing to investigate LeaveEU because of it.

If only Twitter was around during the Blair years there’s no way the Iraq was would have happened and we wouldn’t even have Isis!

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The government taking the referendum as minding despite one of its biggest backers being illegally funded. Deporting windrush citizens then arresting those who protested against it on terrorist offences. Theresa May being best pals with Paul Darce and Aaron Banks and refusing to investigate LeaveEU because of it.
    Oh the old, it went on in the past, so it will happen in the future school of thought...

What have they done today?!

Which does prove my point, long gone are the days that the government get away abuse of power and we do not hear about it due to us being alot more connected, in the old days we would not have heard of any of that

If only Twitter was around during the Blair years there’s no way the Iraq was would have happened and we wouldn’t even have Isis!
    you crack on, pointless posts like this bring nothing to the discussion, unless you think it makes you look smart

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313657

'Hoda Muthana: Trump says IS woman barred from US return'

Similar case occurring in the States now.
    will be interesting to watch how that pans out aswell

Which does prove my point, long gone are the days that the government get away abuse of power and we do not hear about it due to us being alot more connected, in the old days we would not have heard of any of that
    It doesn’t prove your point, it proves they’re still getting away with what they want with zero consequences.

you crack on, pointless posts like this bring nothing to the discussion, unless you think it makes you look smart
    This could be posted after every post you make in fairness.

We wouldn't have heard of a citizen taking the government to the supreme court and winning or how the government achieved their majority after a general election?

Give over.

Social media and the rise of independent investigatiive journalists have done a lot for getting stories out there, yes - but there's no way we're at full transparency.

We wouldn't have heard of a citizen taking the government to the supreme court and winning or how the government achieved their majority after a general election?

Give over.

Social media and the rise of independent investigatiive journalists have done a lot for getting stories out there, yes - but there's no way we're at full transparency.
    You knew exactly what i meant, your last sentence proves that

Trump won the election due to Russian interference, the whole of Twitter know about it but it’s changed nothing. How can you say the government can’t get away with stuff like this any more because of social media?

You knew exactly what i meant, your last sentence proves that
    I know what you meant and there's no way that the days of governments getting away with abuse of power are long gone.

Yes of course we did, and we all agree that was wrong, but while it could easily happen again ? ? ( though the day and age of them finding it easy to abuse power must have gone, as the people are alot more connected ) it might not and imho if we take this incident alone and treat it as a one-off, then the government has done the right thing, which is follow the opinion of the mass's ( for once )

I know what you meant and there's no way that the days of governments getting away with abuse of power are long gone.
    The Key words in my post are finding it easy, and i stand by that, we are all far to connected for that, so when the public find out, questions are asked, the ferry company fiasco was mentioned, questions were asked and the government back-tracked on it ( was it last week ? ? ? ) a prime example of not finding it easy

The Key words in my post are finding it easy, and i stand by that, we are all far to connected for that, so when the public find out, questions are asked, the ferry company fiasco was mentioned, questions were asked and the government back-tracked on it ( was it last week ? ? ? ) a prime example of not finding it easy
    So the government doesn't find it easy to abuse power now because questions are asked on social media and keeps them in check.

Yet in this thread you are criticising people for doing exactly that

"Oh the old, It went on in the past, so it will happen in the future school of thought

I feel safe in the knowledge that Your good self and Lardy wouldnt just stand by and let the Government abuse its power, I can sleep safe in that knowledge

Or we can always look at everything in life with suspicion and mistrust, what a joyful life that must be "

The internet and social media are very much a double edged sword in this respect.
    The collapse of newspaper sales has meant that traditional media employ a fraction of the number of journalists that they used to, and those that remain typically just repurpose press releases into stories as it is much quicker than going and investigating anything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47310206

New article seems to point to automatic citizenship till age of 21...

Why are people happy to have her sent to Bangladesh? Do they think they deserve a “terrorist” more than the U.K.? Or do people just not care as long as we are rid of her?

Why are people happy to have her sent to Bangladesh? Do they think they deserve a “terrorist” more than the U.K.? Or do people just not care as long as we are rid of her?
    Getting rid seems to be the priority. As long as she's not on British soil they couldn't care less. I think that's the general attitude.

It's her parents I feel sorry for.

Their daughter as a child is groomed/brainwashed into running away to a war zone and shacking up with a terrorist paedo.
    Finally a glimmer of hope for them when she says she wants to come home to face the music, only for the UK to say, sorry you aren't British any more, you can be someone else's problem.

Is that really who we are as a nation? Does it make you proud?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47310206

New article seems to point to automatic citizenship till age of 21...

I kept repeating this yesterday now lawyers are saying the same, usual suspects, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I kept repeating this yesterday now lawyers are saying the same, usual suspects, thank you!
    "If the person remains in the UK, their Bangladeshi citizenship remains in existence but dormant."

As I said (repeatedly), it might be automatic but she still needs to do something to activate it. No country gives citizenship without paperwork.