+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are some football fans more informed than others?

Are some football fans more informed than others?

In terms of the actual club. I worked in Liverpool for six months and came across loads of Everton and Liverpool fans and plenty of them seemed to know their stuff, you could have a real conversation with them about football, obviously i'm being a bit general with my assessment, but are some clubs supporter more knowledgeable about the game or are we all pretty much the same?

Re: Are some football fans more informed than others?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In terms of the actual club. I worked in Liverpool for six months and came across loads of Everton and Liverpool fans and plenty of them seemed to know their stuff, you could have a real conversation with them about football, obviously i'm being a bit general with my assessment, but are some clubs supporter more knowledgeable about the game or are we all pretty much the same?
    It's fair to say some supporters live, eat, sleep club football - I've met a few that have literally blown my mind

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    It's fair to say some supporters live, eat, sleep club football - I've met a few that have literally blown my mind
    Geordies are a bit like that, it's almost religious.

Much the same as rugger in Wales.people live and breath it. I was just reading a quote from England player Danny Care who said when you play Wales in Cardiff the fans really hate you,on the coach to the stadium old women give you the middle finger and once a fellow jumped up and head butted the bus they were travelling on.Now that’s real Pashun

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Much the same as rugger in Wales.people live and breath it. I was just reading a quote from England player Danny Care who said when you play Wales in Cardiff the fans really hate you,on the coach to the stadium old women give you the middle finger and once a fellow jumped up and head butted the bus they were travelling on.Now that’s real Pashun
    Not in my house

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Not in my house
    It would be difficult for you to jump up and head but a coach from your house anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Most haven’t a clue about rugby, just getting shiiiiited watching the guff.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It would be difficult for you to jump up and head but a coach from your house anyway.
    Pardon

Pardon
    Whoooosh!

Not in my house
    Nor mine,but sadly that’s how we are perceived by the rest of the country.Have to say though were l work there was a lot more interest in Wales rugby twenty odd years ago than there seems to be now,so hopefully it’s moving in the right direction.

Thinly veiled ... “I know so much more about football than the rest of the Muppets on here”.....post in my opinion😂

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Leave Dai Hunt out of this.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Leave Dai Hunt out of this.
    I went to school with Dai Hunt.

Less of a celebrity back in 1976.

Not in my house
    Nor mine.

I completely disagree with the Eggby comment. It is the exact opposite from what I can see.

I have to put up with the 3 Thugby fans in my office discussing and dissecting every international game they watch on TV (none of them go to games). When I first heard them, I thought, "they seem to know their onions when it comes to thugby," thinking that they had all played at some level or were involved in coaching somewhere.

They can count the number of games they've been to on one hand. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't know what they're talking about, but I think its a pretty good pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I have to put up with the 3 Thugby fans in my office discussing and dissecting every international game they watch on TV (none of them go to games). When I first heard them, I thought, "they seem to know their onions when it comes to thugby," thinking that they had all played at some level or were involved in coaching somewhere.

They can count the number of games they've been to on one hand. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't know what they're talking about, but I think its a pretty good pointer.
    I don't really understand what's going on during a rugby match. I've got the most basic of ideas but can't understand the 'offside' rule etc, although i suppose that's the same with most sports, i know people who profess to love football but have little understanding of the game.

Was with a bunch of colleagues from various parts of the country a few years ago, and we got talking football as we sat around having a couple of pints. There was me, an Arsenal fan, a Manure fan, a Northampton fan, and a Sheff. Utd fan. It soon became apparent that the Arsenal and Manure fans took the attitude that their opinion carried more weight than the rest of us - presumably because their sides were top Prem. clubs so their footy knowledge must be the best. We brought them back down to earth pretty quickly..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Was with a bunch of colleagues from various parts of the country a few years ago, and we got talking football as we sat around having a couple of pints. There was me, an Arsenal fan, a Manure fan, a Northampton fan, and a Sheff. Utd fan. It soon became apparent that the Arsenal and Manure fans took the attitude that their opinion carried more weight than the rest of us - presumably because their sides were top Prem. clubs so their footy knowledge must be the best. We brought them back down to earth pretty quickly..
    How did you manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    How did you manage that?
    I asked why do they think they know more about football than us - couldn't really answer that one when they actually got round to thinking about it..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I asked why do they think they know more about football than us - couldn't really answer that one when they actually got round to thinking about it..
    I think it was John Champion commentating on a Liverpool game on the radio once years ago who described the home fans as "they really know there football around these parts" which is why the arseholes who pretend there Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea fans etc have this delusion that by claiming to support "their side" who just happen to be winning everything automatically elevates them in terms of knowledge about the game in general.

I got into a conversation once with a guy who told me "he was United through and through" whatever that means, so I asked him how many times he had seen them play live?

I've been up for the ground tour he said with my kids in the summer holidays

I think I started talking about the Yen against the dollar at that stage, you meet tossers like this all the time, I just change the subject, these muppets would claim undying support for Rochdale if a wealthy sheik bought them and turned them into Champions league winners

Good post

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I think it was John Champion commentating on a Liverpool game on the radio once years ago who described the home fans as "they really know there football around these parts" which is why the arseholes who pretend there Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea fans etc have this delusion that by claiming to support "their side" who just happen to be winning everything automatically elevates them in terms of knowledge about the game in general.

I got into a conversation once with a guy who told me "he was United through and through" whatever that means, so I asked him how many times he had seen them play live?

I've been up for the ground tour he said with my kids in the summer holidays

I think I started talking about the Yen against the dollar at that stage, you meet tossers like this all the time, I just change the subject, these muppets would claim undying support for Rochdale if a wealthy sheik bought them and turned them into Champions league winners
    I could stare at an aquarium for a week. I still wouldn't know anything about fish in a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't really understand what's going on during a rugby match. I've got the most basic of ideas but can't understand the 'offside' rule etc, although i suppose that's the same with most sports, i know people who profess to love football but have little understanding of the game.
    I still like rugby, but nowhere near as much as I used to and one of the reasons for that is that you get to about March or April having finally grasped (or not as is often the case!) what the new rules brought for the season are all about and then you start watching in the autumn at the start of the following season and they've all changed again.

Football is such a great game because of its simplicity (even though the modern day offside law is a nod in the direction of rugby). So, on one hand, you don't need to be too informed to understand it, but I think most of us who spectate or play the game as a hobby tend to make most of their judgement based on what a team or player does when they have the ball. I tend to think of people who can understand the intricacies involved in playing without the ball in an effective and successful manner as being better informed about the game than me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I still like rugby, but nowhere near as much as I used to and one of the reasons for that is that you get to about March or April having finally grasped (or not as is often the case!) what the new rules brought for the season are all about and then you start watching in the autumn at the start of the following season and they've all changed again.

Football is such a great game because of its simplicity (even though the modern day offside law is a nod in the direction of rugby). So, on one hand, you don't need to be too informed to understand it, but I think most of us who spectate or play the game as a hobby tend to make most of their judgement based on what a team or player does when they have the ball. I tend to think of people who can understand the intricacies involved in playing without the ball in an effective and successful manner as being better informed about the game than me.
    My son was visiting the other day and Jamie 'I spit in children's faces' Carragher was doing his usual post match explanation of how the game played out as it did. He was drawing a triangle on the screen linking 3 players and telling us all how it 'created space' or something like that. My son pointed out that there were dozens of 'triangles' on the screenshot - why isn't he talking about those !
    You listen to the phone ins and hear people discussing 'false no 9's' etc. - if the pundits said the 'farting pigeon' set piece there would be knowledgeable 'footy' fans ringing up to discuss it...

Brian Clough once said “players lose you games not tactics” but Sky has hours of air time to fill and with the English complete obsession with the game there will always be people to listen to this mumbo jumbo from ex players who can talk but can’t coach