+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The price of a pint

The price of a pint

Played skittles last night in the Grange pub in Penarth Rd. I enjoyed a few pints of Butty Bach. Now I realise that some pubs charge more than others for a pint but I can't understand why it was £3.60 whereas my local wetherspoons serves a very refreshing pint of Ruddles for £1.89.

Re: The price of a pint

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Played skittles last night in the Grange pub in Penarth Rd. I enjoyed a few pints of Butty Bach. Now I realise that some pubs charge more than others for a pint but I can't understand why it was £3.60 whereas my local wetherspoons serves a very refreshing pint of Ruddles for £1.89.
    Wetherspoons are a national brand which can negotiate a better price of the brewer by buying in bulk and then putting it in every pub across its nationwide branch. It can also buy beer close to the end of their market life due to the fact they know their footfall and will be comfortable selling the product.

Smaller pubs do not have this luxury, they will have a local landlord trying to cover his overheads, without having the brand, the negotiating position or the customer base.

I paid £9.30 for a pint of San Miguel and Peroni in the Malsters in Llandaff on Saturday night.

Glad I don't go out on the lash too much nowadays at those prices.

Economies of scale

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I paid £9.30 for a pint of San Miguel and Peroni in the Malsters in Llandaff on Saturday night.

Glad I don't go out on the lash too much nowadays at those prices.
    How much!!!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I pay £1.10 approx for the equivalent of a pint of Ba Ba Ba

How much!!!
    i assume that was the price for the round, not a mixed pint of san miguel and peroni.

This really isn't meant to be one of those London Wanker posts, but working in London I am genuinely surprised when a pint costs less than £5 now. I was out last week and one of them (some dreadful US craft ale nonsense) cost well over £6. There are obviously cheaper pubs (there is a Samuel Smiths pub nearby where I think some of the pints are less than £4). I genuinely didn't know that pints for less than £2 still existed- I pay more than that for a can on the way home!

Royal Oak, Whitchurch, Brains was £1.90 a pint recently. Old Arcade in town around £2.85 a pint

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    Royal Oak, Whitchurch, Brains was £1.90 a pint recently. Old Arcade in town around £2.85 a pint
    Yeah, took advantage of that myself as Brains had an offer of 30% off in January.

The Grange has gone all "yuppy" with many Welsh speaking BBC types frequenting the place.
    Popped in there for a quickie before City game a few weeks ago, won't be rushing back!

Least I paid for a pint was 18p in the OA for a dark circa 1977

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yeah, took advantage of that myself as Brains had an offer of 30% off in January.

The Grange has gone all "yuppy" with many Welsh speaking BBC types frequenting the place.
    Popped in there for a quickie before City game a few weeks ago, won't be rushing back!
    They'll be speaking Spanish in Madrid next.

Old Arcade must be (is) the worst pub in Cardiff and I used to be a regular there .

Ale is Shite and overpriced

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Aye butt

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Old Arcade must be (is) the worst pub in Cardiff and I used to be a regular there .

Ale is Shite and overpriced
    I was there with some mates for the Huddersfield game and had SA Gold on draught which was good and a decent lunch. The pubs round here are sh1t and a pint is well over £4. Only decent pub I know is the Nags Head in Reading which is a proper drinkers pub with a great selection of beers usually around £3 a pint.

No wonder pubs are closing if the beer is crap, expensive and also the measures usually short (my pet hate).

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Wetherspoons are a national brand which can negotiate a better price of the brewer by buying in bulk and then putting it in every pub across its nationwide branch. It can also buy beer close to the end of their market life due to the fact they know their footfall and will be comfortable selling the product.

Smaller pubs do not have this luxury, they will have a local landlord trying to cover his overheads, without having the brand, the negotiating position or the customer base.
    Thank you for your very informative post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    😎

Isn’t it better to spend an extra 40p on a pint in a place where it doesn’t stink of piss?

Old Arcade has improved considerably, £2 a pint now and it’s a decent pint. We use the Rummer before games now & pay around &1.98 a pint. The town price war which the Borough more or less kicked off has spread, the Goat Major (Bluebell) does a £2 pint as well. Best value of the lot though is the Live Lounge, prices fluctuate during the night but I was paying £5.30 the other Thursday between 7pm & 11pm for a pint of Worthy & a double vodka & coke, music’s ok in there as well.

International

Worthy in the week in Kiwis is £1.80 but they probably sell a barrel+ every day. £2.70 at weekends. (You can still pay £1.80 if you're 'known' )In the Butchers in Llandaff its £3.25 any time, which isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    I paid less than a shilling a pint when I started drinking!

International

1/8p in the Cow & Snuffers about 1966.

This makes me glad I don't drink, I'd be skint.

It's a wonder why people still go down the pub for a few pints ....... cheaper to buy cans from the supermarket and drink at home

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Those were the days.I remember paying 11p for my first pint of dark in 1973 when I was 15=pissed after 2

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    It's a wonder why people still go down the pub for a few pints ....... cheaper to buy cans from the supermarket and drink at home
    And thats a great part of what killed it.