+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ely Council by-election. Plaid gain

Ely Council by-election. Plaid gain

Historic night for Plaid Cymru as they gain a stronghold from Labour

Gathering momentum ahead of 2021?

Re: Ely Council by-election. Plaid gain

Great result for Plaid

Unfortunately the new councillor, Andrea Gibson, is a Neil McEvoy fan. Rather than running a campaign focusing on Welsh sovereignty and free speech, which are the tenets to which he lately subscribes, he campaigned on litter and empty homes. Not one single word on Welsh nationalism or independence.

His campaign manager Matthew Ford is a machiavellian figure who used to be in the Green Party and is rather spooky. They focused on getting the vote out and knocked on every door of past and potential voters. Plaid’s vote only went up by about 100 from the last elections in 2017, but Labour’s vote halved. Once it is realised by the electorate that Mrs Gibson can’t and won’t solve Ely’s problems the the seat will probably revert to Labour in the next full council elections.

The hypocrisy of McEvoy is astonishing - on one hand campaigning against empty homes and on the other decrying the new homes being built in Cardiff. He also wants to bring back right-to-buy. He is a mix of a pound-shop Trump and a 99p-shop Tommy Robinson but without the charm. His constant sporting of a Bluebirds scarf is a lame attempt to curry favour by someone who was very much in favour of the rebrand.

And I write all this as a member of Plaid Cymru for over twenty years.

It was a council election hence campaigning on litter and empty homes, most Plaid supporters I know regard McEvoy as marmite, on the one hand he must have given the luvli Leanne kittens when she was in charge and on the other hand he is a campaigning dynamo.

If Plaid work hard, they could take votes from labour , who are turning away thier core voters ,at the rate of knots.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    Unfortunately the new councillor, Andrea Gibson, is a Neil McEvoy fan. Rather than running a campaign focusing on Welsh sovereignty and free speech, which are the tenets to which he lately subscribes, he campaigned on litter and empty homes. Not one single word on Welsh nationalism or independence.

His campaign manager Matthew Ford is a machiavellian figure who used to be in the Green Party and is rather spooky. They focused on getting the vote out and knocked on every door of past and potential voters. Plaid’s vote only went up by about 100 from the last elections in 2017, but Labour’s vote halved. Once it is realised by the electorate that Mrs Gibson can’t and won’t solve Ely’s problems the the seat will probably revert to Labour in the next full council elections.

The hypocrisy of McEvoy is astonishing - on one hand campaigning against empty homes and on the other decrying the new homes being built in Cardiff. He also wants to bring back right-to-buy. He is a mix of a pound-shop Trump and a 99p-shop Tommy Robinson but without the charm. His constant sporting of a Bluebirds scarf is a lame attempt to curry favour by someone who was very much in favour of the rebrand.

And I write all this as a member of Plaid Cymru for over twenty years.
    Are you seriously complaining about a council candidate running on issues relevant to being a councillor?

McEvoy is a strange one, I'm not his biggest fan either, but he's got a lot of fans in Cardiff West (the 2016 Assembly Elections proved that) and is getting people who would never consider voting for Plaid to vote for them. He's a big issue for Plaid, he's divisive but is obviously quite effective, could he be used as a means to an end?

To be fair, Gibson's number of votes went up by over 200 as well, not just 100

I don't like the prick either

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    I don't like the prick either
    More friendly politics