+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Labour and the accusations of anti-semitism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Labour and the accusations of anti-semitism

Perception has always been big in politics and, at this fractious time, it seems moreso now than it's ever been. People can go on about conspiracies and "establishment" plots as much as they like, but I feel there is an overwhelming perception that Labour has a serious problem when in comes to anti semitism. I also believe that this perception is well founded, but whether it is or it isn't is secondary really to the feeling abroad that they party does have one. Just as with Brexit, I would argue that the attitude of the man at the top of the party does nothing to dispel the notion of sitting back while Rome burns on Jeremy Corbyn's part - he may or may not be a target for the so called establishment, but he's also not a very good party leader.

Re: Labour and the accusations of anti-semitism

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Perception has always been big in politics and, at this fractious time, it seems moreso now than it's ever been. People can go on about conspiracies and "establishment" plots as much as they like, but I feel there is an overwhelming perception that Labour has a serious problem when in comes to anti semitism. I also believe that this perception is well founded, but whether it is or it isn't is secondary really to the feeling abroad that they party does have one. Just as with Brexit, I would argue that the attitude of the man at the top of the party does nothing to dispel the notion of sitting back while Rome burns on Jeremy Corbyn's part - he may or may not be a target for the so called establishment, but he's also not a very good party leader.
    Earlier this week I had the telly on but wasn't watching; it was providing some background noise. The programme was about British aviator Amy Johnson who in 1930 flew solo from Britain to Australia which was considered a huge achievement. What caught my attention was the narrator's claim - which I haven't checked - that 12 well wishers waved her off when embarking and 100,000 greeted her return and another million lined the streets for her motorcade.

For argument's sake let's presume those numbers are facts. Radio was in its infancy and most people learnt news from the written word, mostly from reading newspapers. It would demonstrate the enormous reach the mainstream media had. Of course, thanks to the advent of the box found in most living rooms its reach has long been omnipotent. Those who own or control those outlets manage their readers and viewers perceptions.