+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bennett and Murphy hang your heads in shame

Bennett and Murphy hang your heads in shame

I can forgive a lack of talent. What can never be forgiven is lack of application. Murphy was s disgrace today. He made little effort from the start. Bennett not much better. I don't know if anything is going on in the background but that was the first time this season I've seen us with so little fight! Unacceptable!

Re: Bennett and Murphy hang your heads in shame

You're being too harsh. Especially on Murphy. It's not fair to pick on individuals after a display like that. The manager picked the wrong team and made poor substitutions and let's not forget Watford are a more than decent side. Was an awful display though.

So I suppose I'm saying pick on Neil.

More than harsh. We didnt lose from lack of effort.

We move on.

Crowd still behind the team. Bring on Everton.

I’d give Joe Bennett a break, he’s had a very difficult couple of weeks. Our formation caused a lot of problems in my opinion, gave them too much time and space in the midfield and very little support to our centre forward. Our wing backs were man marking at times, Bennett being on the right flank leading up to the first goal, didn’t seem to work at all.
    Has anyone looked at the foul on Murphy which the “referee” didn’t give?

I’ve just seen it and my god it was blatant!

Man marking. What the **** is his obsession. That's the bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I’d give Joe Bennett a break, he’s had a very difficult couple of weeks. Our formation caused a lot of problems in my opinion, gave them too much time and space in the midfield and very little support to our centre forward. Our wing backs were man marking at times, Bennett being on the right flank leading up to the first goal, didn’t seem to work at all.
    Has anyone looked at the foul on Murphy which the “referee” didn’t give?
    Our wing backs usually man mark when we play five at the back. It's one of Warnock's preferred tactics.

Murphy is a strange one. He can easily beat two or three players using his pace, but the end product is nonexistent 90% of time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Murphy is a strange one. He can easily beat two or three players using his pace, but the end product is nonexistent 90% of time.
    Itn a big fan of his but today he put so little effort in he was a disgrace. Can imagine Neil had words half time but nothing changed and no surprise to see him hawled off early.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Crowd still behind the team. Bring on Everton.
    really? Canton 25% empty on 75 minutes, 50% empty on 85 minutes & 75% at full time. In 50+ seasons I have never seen a City crowd desert like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Itn a big fan of his but today he put so little effort in he was a disgrace. Can imagine Neil had words half time but nothing changed and no surprise to see him hawled off early.
    I didn't see that in the first half. He did his fair share of tracking back and our only attacking threat was him and Niasse linking up.

Murphy got a lot of mentions from those around me in the Ninian today for not tracking back. One guy shouted at him about it and he cupped his ear towards as if he didn’t understand then looked pissed off.

I really rate him and thought he did his job superbly going forwards and at the back against Bournemouth after being left out but then seemed to go backwards today

Bennett I think a bit unfair and arguably shouldn’t really be playing giving the circumstances. I’ve been through the same and to do a normal job the first few weeks is tough. Give the guy a break

Heisenberg

I can forgive a lack of talent. What can never be forgiven is lack of application. Murphy was s disgrace today. He made little effort from the start. Bennett not much better. I don't know if anything is going on in the background but that was the first time this season I've seen us with so little fight! Unacceptable!
    I must have been watching a different game as I thought Bennett was one of a couple of players tonight who can still hold their heads up high.

There were moments when he was positioned inside Bamba that must have been due to his man-marking duties and ****ed things up... But he isn't close to being on the list of players that deserve derision tonight, in my opinion.

I get the feeling sometimes that our players don't trust each other. I see a lot of moves break down simply because someone holds on to the ball and tries to do too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I must have been watching a different game as I thought Bennett was one of a couple of players tonight who can still hold their heads up high.

There were moments when he was positioned inside Bamba that must have been due to his man-marking duties and ****ed things up... But he isn't close to being on the list of players that deserve derision tonight, in my opinion.
    My lad thought Bennett was MoM & one of the few who kept trying to the end, along with Bamba & Paterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    really? Canton 25% empty on 75 minutes, 50% empty on 85 minutes & 75% at full time. In 50+ seasons I have never seen a City crowd desert like that before.
    In 50+ seasons, normally the ground was 75% empty at the start

It was dissapointing to see so many leave but thats the nature of our support.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Which is apparently why Norwich fans were so pleased to get £10m for him.

Very frustrating.

I don’t think that they weren’t trying.

I very rarely think that professional footballers ‘don’t try’. The only evidence that I have seen of this is the recent shameful ‘efforts’ made by Chelsea, Man Utd and Leicester players when some of them wanted to get rid of their managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I don’t think that they weren’t trying.

I very rarely think that professional footballers ‘don’t try’. The only evidence that I have seen of this is the recent shameful ‘efforts’ made by Chelsea, Man Utd and Leicester players when some of them wanted to get rid of their managers.
    I don't accuse him of not trying. He was not that bad but the effort levels we'd seen previously were not there and that for me is unacceptable. We can't compete in the premier League on talent alone. Effort is what has given us a chance of survival. Without it we have no chance. Players like Murphy need to take a long hard look at themselves. Can he honestly say that he gave his all last night? I doubt it.

Murphy is a young winger who is having games where he tears the opposition apart and games where he struggles to make an impact. Yesterday was more the latter than the former, but his defensive application, in the first half at least, was good and shows he's worked hard behind the scenes.

Bennett? I don't understand what you're on about. He was one of perhaps 5 who showed fight throughout the 90 minutes, many fans left so wouldn't have seen it, and showed the never give up attitude that we need to keep to stay up. Bamba, Patterson, Zohore, perhaps Bacuna were the others I picked out.

We've had several games where out limitations were exposed and then the next week we've bounced back. Plenty of ups and downs to go but if the fans start to walk out at 70 minutes then we're in no position to criticise the players: we haven't done our part.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    In 50+ seasons, normally the ground was 75% empty at the start

It was dissapointing to see so many leave but thats the nature of our support.
    My favourite times were during the 2k+ days. A few of us used to meet up on an empty Bob Bank for a natter, and occasionally glance at the football if anything exciting happened (very rare)

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    My favourite times were during the 2k+ days. A few of us used to meet up on an empty Bob Bank for a natter, and occasionally glance at the football if anything exciting happened (very rare)
    A big crowd back then was when you got to the ground and there were no barriers left to lean on.

I couldn’t understand why Murphy was took off.
    He didn’t have the whistle in his mouth for the pen,
    He didn’t take the free kick which led to the second
    or give the ball away for the 3rd.
    Warnock used almost the same tactics as against Spurs and Man City at home.
    It doesn’t work.
    Funny thing we won at Southampton under Ole and he changed the system and players for the next game.
    Warnock did exactly the same last night

Funny you should mention this. I, too thought Bennett looked subdued. Took a couple of bad knocks and was expecting a bit of reaction from him, but just got up and walked away. similar with Murphy. Some matches City have a confrontational attitude and get in the ref's face and opposition players. Last night felt like a damp squid..

Why is it that if someone performs poorly there must be something in the background? It was just a poor performance, nothing sinister