+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That penalty call

That penalty call

https://twitter.com/shaunlawthom/sta...141278720?s=21

Wow. Ok we'd probably have missed anyway but wow.

Re: That penalty call

Actually, looking at it again Murphy does kind of throw himself into it. Maybe he sells it too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Actually, looking at it again Murphy does kind of throw himself into it. Maybe he sells it too hard.
    No matter what way your look at it, it's a penalty all day long. My biased City eyes were screaming for it at the time, and I'm only more pissed now, seeing that. 0-0, and then they go down the other end and score... Game changing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Definite penalty as far as I'm concerned. 100%. However, Warnock's reaction was completely over the top as usual. As I recall, he wasn't quite so critical of the referees when Southampton had two clear penalties waved away in December and Huddersfield had one turned down in January.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Definite penalty as far as I'm concerned. 100%. However, Warnock's reaction was completely over the top as usual. As I recall, he wasn't quite so critical of the referees when Southampton had two clear penalties waved away in December and Huddersfield had one turned down in January.
    Par for the course with managers, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Par for the course with managers, isn't it?
    Indeed, but Warnock is far and away the most extreme example, isn't he?

On another point i wonder who would have taken it for us?

Reid and camerasa have scored recently but i guess ralls would have had a go? Whoever it was i wouldn't have felt anymore confident than 50/50.

Blatant, blatant penalty. Watford may have had a player sent off in the first half also, but yellow was probably right decision. Defalou was allowed to time-waste after each of this three goals and when being subbed without any consequence. It was a poor performance by the ref.

No doubt he'll have one game in the championship and then be back in the premier league the week after. No matter what he does in that championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    No matter what way your look at it, it's a penalty all day long. My biased City eyes were screaming for it at the time, and I'm only more pissed now, seeing that. 0-0, and then they go down the other end and score... Game changing.
    I thought we were already 1-0 down when the penalty controversy occured shortly before half-time?

Definite penalty as far as I'm concerned.
    Pathetic whinging - as we've come to expect from you. Was you sobbing into yer red scarf?

No.

Ref had a nightmare of a game

Happened right in front of me. As blatant a penalty as you will ever see. The referee proved in that one instance that he is not fit to referee.

Klopp just got fined for stating the referee knew Liverpool’s goal v Wham was really offside and for suggesting the ref then spent the remainder of the game looking for opportunities to even things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Pathetic whinging - as we've come to expect from you. Was you sobbing into yer red scarf?
    I was so upset I dropped my remote control on the floor.

What did you expect him to do - just stand there and shrug his shoulders !! Thats criticising him just for the sake of it. No doubt when you actually used to come to games, when Dave Jones was in charge, you moaned about him not showing any emotion on the side line, like quite a few people used to. How the hell you see so much from the comfort of your own armchair is a mystery anyway.

Heisenberg

"Far and away"? No. Dyche has to be up there for this behaviour. Mourinho was always critical of refs but was better at making sarcastic comments aimed at them, rather than direct criticism. Klopp is regularly pulled up on his post-match comments about a referees performance. Benitez was accusing the ref of costing them the game against Wolves recently (which isn't a new thing for him). Hughes was always complaining about refs too....

I could probably go on, but those are some of the worst culprits (as well as Warnock) that spring to mind.

He's part of a fairly large group of managers who are bad for it. Not far and away the most extreme, that's very hyperbolic.

It would be quicker to name the managers who are even handed when it comes to talking about pelanty calls their teams get away with. We can start with

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    "Far and away"? No. Dyche has to be up there for this behaviour. Mourinho was always critical of refs but was better at making sarcastic comments aimed at them, rather than direct criticism. Klopp is regularly pulled up on his post-match comments about a referees performance. Benitez was accusing the ref of costing them the game against Wolves recently (which isn't a new thing for him). Hughes was always complaining about refs too....

I could probably go on, but those are some of the worst culprits (as well as Warnock) that spring to mind.
    My favourite was when Souness was in charge at Newcastle and only spoke about a denied penalty when they were 3 down in a 4-1 defeat.

Everyone on Football Focus cannot see how that wasn't given.

Just four things
    1 the idiot ref was reffing his first game in the premier
    2 He admitted that he made a mistake and he should have given a penalty
    3 just maybe if the pen was given and we scored coming for the second half could have made a big difference, but we will never know!
    4 Morrison should not have started

Let’s be fair , I doubt there’s one manager who wouldn’t have been fuming over that incident last night ! I simply do not know what Hooper thought he saw that meant it wasn’t a penalty? Ball doesn’t change direction, player clearly takes Murphy out .....baffled !

You know you will see one given today that is less a penalty than that one

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Let’s be fair , I doubt there’s one manager who wouldn’t have been fuming over that incident last night ! I simply do not know what Hooper thought he saw that meant it wasn’t a penalty? Ball doesn’t change direction, player clearly takes Murphy out .....baffled !

You know you will see one given today that is less a penalty than that one
    He was also about 5 yards away and seemed generally quite whistle-happy prior to that. Hard to explain what went through his mind.

Unfortunately an error-prone and under-par performance by us was more of a factor in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Can you imagine the reaction of messrs Scoular Burrows and May if they had been around in this era????

It was a definite penalty for me too. I'm just trying to think of possible reasons why it wouldn't be given.