+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gunnarsson this season.

Gunnarsson this season.

Aron Gunnarsson has played enough games (275) for us over the last eight years for us to be pretty familiar with his strengths and limitations. Following last-night's shambolic Gunnarsson-less performance I thought it might be worth looking at our record with and without Gunnar in the starting line up this season.

Without Gunnarsson: Played 11 Won 0 Drawn 3 Lost 8. Points per game 0.27

With Gunnarsson: Played 16 Won 7 Drawn 1 Lost 8 . Points per game 1.37

Stats don't always tell the whole story but they do suggest that in the context of our current squad he's a player we can't really afford to leave out.

Re: Gunnarsson this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    Aron Gunnarsson has played enough games (275) for us over the last eight years for us to be pretty familiar with his strengths and limitations. Following last-night's shambolic Gunnarsson-less performance I thought it might be worth looking at our record with and without Gunnar in the starting line up this season.

Without Gunnarsson: Played 11 Won 0 Drawn 3 Lost 8. Points per game 0.27

With Gunnarsson: Played 16 Won 7 Drawn 1 Lost 8 . Points per game 1.37

Stats don't always tell the whole story but they do suggest that in the context of our current squad he's a player we can't really afford to leave out.
    Yes, it's a startling stat in many ways. I think he's been the only drive we've had in centre midfield this season. Camarasa is technically good, Ralls is more of a passer, Arter has lots of energy to tackle and keep things simple, but Gunnarsson is our engine.

It's interesting to look at our stats with and without Gunnarsson since he joined us. In the Championship since 2011, we've averaged 1.61 points a game without him and 1.64 with. Not a huge difference. I make it that we've averaged 0.73 over our two Premier League seasons without him but 0.94 with. That's quite a difference, especially when points are precious. It suggests that he's more valuable as a top division player than he is in the Championship. It might also explain how a Championship footballer could be so vital for his country.