+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etheridge

Etheridge

His kicking was awful yesterday, worse than usual. Couple of good saves but couldn't do much about the goals.
    Would bringing in Smithies improve things at the back?
    Just saying.

Re: Etheridge

Really? Maybe his defenders could stop putting him under pressure if anyone should be dropped it’s Morrison

He's had better games but there's no way I would drop him for one mediocre performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    His kicking was awful yesterday, worse than usual. Couple of good saves but couldn't do much about the goals.
    Just saying.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Really? Maybe his defenders could stop putting him under pressure if anyone should be dropped it’s Morrison
    Agree about Morrison

Heisenberg

I think that's the strangest suggestion I've read on here in a good while. Etheridge has been our best player this season... Whereas Smithies' two cup performances hardly filled me with confidence.

You said yourself that Etheridge couldn't do much about the goals, so what are you expecting Smithies to do differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think that's the strangest suggestion I've read on here in a good while. Etheridge has been our best player this season... Whereas Smithies' two cup performances hardly filled me with confidence.

You said yourself that Etheridge couldn't do much about the goals, so what are you expecting Smithies to do differently?
    Just saying his kicking is so bad that it invites pressure back on us.Smithie can to us with a big reputation as a shot stopper. WE need one at the moment big time.

Just saying.
    Whereas kicking is not the strongest part of his game, Etheridge has been superb this season (my player of the season so far) so dropping him would be a huge mistake.

Just saying.
    what a silly post

Heisenberg

Just saying his kicking is so bad that it invites pressure back on us.Smithie can to us with a big reputation as a shot stopper. WE need one at the moment big time.
    That makes no sense, sorry. You're criticising Etheridge's kicking and then calling for Smithies to come into the team as he's a "shot stopper".

Etheridge has saved us countless times this season... A lot like Marshall in our last season in the Premier League. Dropping him would be the worst decision I could think of.

Just saying.
    Absolutely not.

Just saying.
    Yes, Smithies for Morrisson might be an improvement?

Just saying.
    I think he'd be better off just keeping his clearances simple and giving the ball to an available defender.

Can't blame him for following orders, though. It's clearly an instruction from on high to whack everything into the opposition half.

Peter Shilton was once dropped by Leyton Orient because he couldn't kick the ball as far as the club's second choice keeper. I took this as proof that the world had gone mad - what else can it mean when the one member of a team that can use his hands to keep the ball out of the net is a candidate for the axe because of what he does with his feet rather than his hands?

Just saying.
    No

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Peter Shilton was once dropped by Leyton Orient because he couldn't kick the ball as far as the club's second choice keeper. I took this as proof that the world had gone mad - what else can it mean when the one member of a team that can use his hands to keep the ball out of the net is a candidate for the axe because of what he does with his feet rather than his hands?
    I wouldn't drop him, he's had a good season, although alot of the saves he has made, he should've anyway, that's his job, a bit like complimenting a fullback for getting tight and making tackles-It's what they're there for. His kicking is poor, he doesn't look comfortable and he doesn't seem to be able to put his foot through the ball or direct it, it can cause problems, especially the way we play as Warnock is never going to have him throwing the ball out to fullbacks. Overall he's been brilliant, Excellent value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I wouldn't drop him, he's had a good season, although alot of the saves he has made, he should've anyway, that's his job, a bit like complimenting a fullback for getting tight and making tackles-It's what they're there for. His kicking is poor, he doesn't look comfortable and he doesn't seem to be able to put his foot through the ball or direct it, it can cause problems, especially the way we play as Warnock is never going to have him throwing the ball out to fullbacks. Overall he's been brilliant, Excellent value.
    Which begs the question what are they doing in training

Remember Smithies attempt at a save in the cup? Etheridge is a much better option.

His kicking has been dreadful ever since he came here, but he more than makes up for it with his saves.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Which begs the question what are they doing in training
    Trying to improve it i would've thought. His kicking did improve for a bit but it seems to have got worse since christmas. Maybe he'll never be great at kicking the ball, a bit like Zohore and his heading, Sol Bamba with his passing, Josh murphy's Delivery, Morrisons positioning etc. Some players just have weaknesses, the best ones acknowledge those weaknesses and compensate in different ways. I suppose that every one of our players have a weakness to their game that can lead to mistakes, that's probably the difference between playing for us and a team in the top ten-fine margins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Trying to improve it i would've thought. His kicking did improve for a bit but it seems to have got worse since christmas. Maybe he'll never be great at kicking the ball, a bit like Zohore and his heading, Sol Bamba with his passing, Josh murphy's Delivery, Morrisons positioning etc. Some players just have weaknesses, the best ones acknowledge those weaknesses and compensate in different ways. I suppose that every one of our players have a weakness to their game that can lead to mistakes, that's probably the difference between playing for us and a team in the top ten-fine margins.
    I haven't seen it become worse since Christmas, bar one or two games where it was slightly worse than normal, and I wonder how much saving the football with his face for their offside goal may have had an impact Friday. I agree with the theme of the post.