+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Colwyn bay meet FAW in bid to join welsh pyramid system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Colwyn bay meet FAW in bid to join welsh pyramid system

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Burnley are not around Merthyr on that list, it is almost twice the size or Merthyr
    At the risk of sounding as pedantic as you - I really don’t think that in terms of being able to support a Premier League football team a difference of 37,000 people in census terms would be significantly significant. Burnley’s extra ‘total’ population over Merthyr is not even enough to fill some league 1 teams stadia.

Re: Colwyn bay meet FAW in bid to join welsh pyramid system

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    At the risk of sounding as pedantic as you - I really don’t think that in terms of being able to support a Premier League football team a difference of 37,000 people in census terms would be significantly significant. Burnley’s extra ‘total’ population over Merthyr is not even enough to fill some league 1 teams stadia.
    I see what you're saying but there has to be a critical mass to be able to support a successful team and there are no other towns as far as I can see with a population in the 40k region with a league club, let alone premier league.
    Burnley have a population double that of Merthyr and are an outlier in terms of size to be a premier league club, so even if merthyr suddenly doubled their population they would still also need to be a massive outlier in order to be that successful.