Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
I’d argue that County are at a different level to Merthyr. Would they be better off waiting 5/10/20 years for an FA cup tie against Man City or winning the Welsh Cup or League and potentially playing some of Europe’s biggest sides. I’d even go as far as sying that they’d hve a better chance of playing Man City in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League than they would playing them in the FA cup.

Regarding crowds, if Merthyr were playing at the top of the Welsh league I think they’d get decent crowds. Probably as big as they’d have in the conference..or similiar. There would also, potentially, be more “grandstand” events with Welsh Cup and League games plus European fixtures. These would surely attract better crowds than Havant and Waterloo or Torquay.

That said, if Merthyr fans would prefer to stay in the English set-up I get it and it is not the place of fans from other sides to prescribe anything for Merthyr T. I’d just argue that the Welsh setup would offer more short term (and probably long-term) benefits, both financial and sporting.
Newport were in tier 9, Eric advocates anyone below the conference joining the Welsh league. If Newport took that advice 20 years ago, then they'd be playing Cefn Druids in from if 400 at Spytty Park with no hope that things get better.