Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE SIX GAMES TO GET THE 13 POINTS FOR SAFETY

THE SIX GAMES TO GET THE 13 POINTS FOR SAFETY

With 10 games to play, four of those are against:

Chelsea / h
    Man City / a
    Liverpool / h
    Man U / a

Replies on a postage stamp regarding how many points we'll pick up out of that quartet of games. The remaining games are:

West Ham / h
    Crystal Pal / h
    Wolves / a
    Brighton / a
    Burnley / a
    Fulham / a

Of those 6 games, to get 13 pts and safety we need to:

Win ... 4
    Draw ... 1
    Lose ... 1.

Discuss.

StT.
    <><

Re: THE SIX GAMES TO GET THE 13 POINTS FOR SAFETY

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

Chelsea / h
    Man City / a
    Liverpool / h
    Man U / a

Replies on a postage stamp regarding how many points we'll pick up out of that quartet of games. The remaining games are:

West Ham / h Lose
    Crystal Pal / h Win
    Wolves / a Draw
    Brighton / a Draw
    Burnley / a Lose
    Fulham / a Win

Win ... 4
    Draw ... 1
    Lose ... 1.

Discuss.

StT.
    <><
    Put that way , with those 4 games taken out, it doesn’t look promising!

Even being optimistic you can only see 2 wins and 2 draws from the other 6 games. That will leave us with 33 points, I suspect we will go down by about 3 or 4 points behind Southampton.

We'll have to beat Brighton, Burnley & Fulham away.

It's possible that we could win each of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Brighton, Burnley and Fulham. But we won't win them all. If we can manage 3 of them including Brighton and Fulham we might have a chance. If we beat Burnley, maybe that brings them back into the mix. I'm not optimitic. However, I havent been since August. The club have made a real pig's ear of this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's possible that we could win each of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Brighton, Burnley and Fulham. But we won't win them all. If we can manage 3 of them including Brighton and Fulham we might have a chance. If we beat Burnley, maybe that brings them back into the mix. I'm not optimitic. However, I havent been since August. The club have made a real pig's ear of this opportunity.
    The sad reality, NYCBlue, is that we have been woefully ill prepared both on and off the pitch for this PL season. But even writing this, some will slate me as a johhny-come-lately. Strange that when I was at Ninian Park in the 1959-1960 Season when me beat Aston Villa 1-0 to get promotion to the old First Division. Those who are delusional hate the truth.

StT.
    <><

The sad reality, NYCBlue, is that we have been woefully ill prepared both on and off the pitch for this PL season. But even writing this, some will slate me as a johhny-come-lately. Strange that when I was at Ninian Park in the 1959-1960 Season when me beat Aston Villa 1-0 to get promotion to the old First Division. Those who are delusional hate the truth.

StT.
    <><
    How do you prepare from a a squad that gained promotion out if the blue? With the 13th highest budget in the champ last season?
    The gulf is almost too high to breach, look at Fulham, even hudds who did the impossible last year? Tan was never going to blow over 100 million was he? Let’s suck up the cash, get debt free and go again with Warnock and Bellamy on the side with a vision for the next 5 years or so....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How do you prepare from a a squad that gained promotion out if the blue? With the 13th highest budget in the champ last season?
    The gulf is almost too high to breach, look at Fulham, even hudds who did the impossible last year? Tan was never going to blow over 100 million was he? Let’s suck up the cash, get debt free and go again with Warnock and Bellamy on the side with a vision for the next 5 years or so....
    You certainly have to spend a bit more than the £25m we did on the Championship players we did last summer. In reality that £25m buys one average PL player. You say about Fulham. And yes they didn't spend their money wisely. Wolves did and they are in the top-third. What is sure is that lack of investment will always tend to poverty and failure. Good investment leads to progress and success.

StT.
    <><

6 points at most

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Having seen the last two perfomances, I don't think we'd beat Barry Town United.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Having seen the last two perfomances, I don't think we'd beat Barry Town United.
    That's a bit harsh but we will need to go on a bit of a run, the likes of which, we've not been on this season.

StT.
    <><

That's a bit harsh but we will need to go on a bit of a run, the likes of which, we've not been on this season.

StT.
    <><
    Now we are in the bottom 3 I reckon it will be tough to climb out, despite looking at saints tough next 4 fixtures. We make Watford look like world beaters and they clearly aren’t? Everton lost last 3, not a shot on target. Right shame, but I can’t see us doing it if we carry on as is...

If we keep up the trend of when we play a team for the second time, if it's away we tend to do better than before, and if it's at home we tend to do worse than before, we could end up losing all our home games. Such a scenario seems quite likely to me, though this is only based on the last 2 home disasters. West Ham blow hot and cold. Palace are a decent side who find scoring a problem at times, but might be more useful on the break at our place than they were trying to break us down.

Away from home, Wolves, Brighton, Fulham and Burnley are key.

A few other things need to happen as well.

We need to give the big boys in the division a game, not concede early and reveal our buttocks for a good spanking.

We have to play our best players.

It will not happen points were needed from game just gone .

CardiffCitySince1927

Chelsea / h
    Man City / a
    Liverpool / h
    Man U / a
    <><
    These on paper are unwinable, but nearing the end of the season if the top 6 is already decided and they won’t go any higher or they’re in a cup competition then we may be playing a second string side. We may get something from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If we keep up the trend of when we play a team for the second time, if it's away we tend to do better than before, and if it's at home we tend to do worse than before, we could end up losing all our home games. Such a scenario seems quite likely to me, though this is only based on the last 2 home disasters. West Ham blow hot and cold. Palace are a decent side who find scoring a problem at times, but might be more useful on the break at our place than they were trying to break us down.

Away from home, Wolves, Brighton, Fulham and Burnley are key.

A few other things need to happen as well.

We need to give the big boys in the division a game, not concede early and reveal our buttocks for a good spanking.

We have to play our best players.
    As you say, Eric, the away games are huge and we have to stop fiddling with the team. Why rotate after winning against Bournemouth and Southampton when we probably won't have a game from March 9th-31st?

StT.
    <><

As you say, Eric, the away games are huge and we have to stop fiddling with the team. Why rotate after winning against Bournemouth and Southampton when we probably won't have a game from March 9th-31st?

StT.
    <><
    Peltier and Reid were I’ll, weren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Now we are in the bottom 3 I reckon it will be tough to climb out, despite looking at saints tough next 4 fixtures. We make Watford look like world beaters and they clearly aren’t? Everton lost last 3, not a shot on target. Right shame, but I can’t see us doing it if we carry on as is...
    I think that's a bit harsh on Watford. They are miles ahead of us and we learnt nothing from the away game. It was 3-2 but that flattered us. Watford could have scored 5 or 6. In two games we still weren't within a million miles of dealing with Delafeo. That said, I wasn't impressed with Everton in either game. We should be winning against them at home if we want safety. Even then, they weren't brilliant at Goodison and with a proper striker would have got something out of it.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Peltier and Reid were I’ll, weren’t they?
    Apparently but Morrison is still nowhere near fit, played and weakened the team.

StT.
    <><

Sadly we are doomed but we knew that before the season started.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    We are 11th in the Premier League for our average attendance of over 31k above Wolves,Southampton,Palace etc just kept out of Top 10 by Leicester so we have the fan base and potential to be a top 10 Premier League team.
    All we need now is a Premier League Manager and Team?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    These on paper are unwinable, but nearing the end of the season if the top 6 is already decided and they won’t go any higher or they’re in a cup competition then we may be playing a second string side. We may get something from that.
    Problem is their second string sides are full of multi million pound footballers, it’s a sobering thought that when we’re playing the likes of these sides you look at our team on the pitch and then glance at their bench or their lads warming up on the touchline. Must be daunting for our boys, a lot of us on here played local football and on the occasions you played teams who were a cut above it was like ‘sheesh!!!’. I know professional football is on another plain but I’d imagine the gulf in quality between sides in the Premier League is much vaster than us parks players ever experienced. Our players are only human, they’re well aware of this fact as well. The days of clattering the star player to get him subbed are long gone, the bloke coming on is coming on to pose a different set of problems, he’s no stiff. Man City & Liverpool’s second string would quite likely be in third & fourth place this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Vindec, I was never as suicidal as you sadly were at the start of the season, but also not as delusional as others who thought they were simply going to enjoy the experience of an underprepared Club in the PL. All I seek to offer is an honest assessment of City/2018-2019.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We are 11th in the Premier League for our average attendance of over 31k above Wolves,Southampton,Palace etc just kept out of Top 10 by Leicester so we have the fan base and potential to be a top 10 Premier League team.
    All we need now is a Premier League Manager and Team?
    You could say the same about Newcastle, Sunderland, Aston Villa etc and the list goes on. We were exceptionally lucky to get promoted in the first place and with largely the same team that got us promoted we were unlikely to set the Premier League on fire. In order to get a team we need money and there are unlikely to be any takers. Tan has done his bit but I can't see many others queuing up to spend the many hundreds of millions to make us the top 10 team you think our attendances deserve.

No way are we getting 13 points.
    If we are lucky we get 10 and Southampton get less

Chelsea / h
    Man City / a
    Liverpool / h
    Man U / a

West Ham / h
    Crystal Pal / h
    Wolves / a
    Brighton / a
    Burnley / a
    Fulham / a

Win ... 4
    Draw ... 1
    Lose ... 1.

Discuss.

StT.
    <><
    If you think we need 13 points for safety, you must think Southampton are going to get 11. That's not even taking Brighton into account. Brighton's run-in does look kinder to be fair.

Where are Southampton going to get the 11 from this lot?

Man Utd (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Watford (a)
    Brighton (a)
    Liverpool (h)
    Wolves (h)
    Newcastle (a)
    Bournemouth (h)
    West Ham (a)
    Huddersfield (h)

I see 8 points. Which means 11 for us - or 8 more after Saturday.

Bloooobirds