+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many are genuinely Premiership quality footballers in City's squad?

How many are genuinely Premiership quality footballers in City's squad?

Only Etheridge for me.

Re: How many are genuinely Premiership quality footballers in City's squad?

Depends what you mean.
    Compared to Huddersfield quite a few, compared to Man City probably none.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Depends what you mean.
    Compared to Huddersfield quite a few, compared to Man City probably none.
    Whilst I agree that there are leagues within the league I think it's evident that we have some players that have limitations (for example passing the ball 10 yards to feet, ball control, body shape) that highlight that they are nowhere near the level required to play in the top flight. Our back 4 look like they're standing in cement half the time and our midfield isn't much of an improvement.

last night none

What is premiership quality? For me considering we have competed in certain matches and won games and are still in with a chance of staying up then everyone who has played a decent part this season would be classed as premiership quality as that is the level we are at.

If we had lost every match you could probably make an argument against that.

There are quite clearly very different levels within the league.

Camarassa definitely, Bamba as a defender, Etheridge, I'd say Bobby Reid if he gets the right service.

How many Premiership quality players did Everton field? 3-4? It's all relative. We were beaten by the fear factor last night, not by a Premiership quality team.

Bamba definitely, in a system that suits him.
    Bennett has been good
    Camarasa
    Murphy
    Zohore
    Reid

Could all make a career at this level of played in a system that suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    We were beaten by the fear factor last night, not by a Premiership quality team.
    The team selection didn't help much either.

How many Premiership quality players did Everton field? 3-4? It's all relative. We were beaten by the fear factor last night, not by a Premiership quality team.
    I don't agree there, I think they have good players

On the current performances of the players you have you might actually have a better result if you fielded these names
    (1) Kenneth Jones.
    (2) Leonard Edwards.
    (3) Colin Baker.
    (4) Thomas Baker.
    (5) Cliff Jones.
    (6) Terry Medwin.
    (7)
    (8)
    (9)
    (10)
    (11)
    (12)

Out of 22 Welsh internationals from the Squad to be registered to play in the 1958 World Cup rounds only 6 are still alive & if you fielded them now with 5 modern day CCFC players the results would probably be no worse than what you are seeing and maybe those 6 Old Fogies would still outrun your carthorses you field now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    What is premiership quality? For me considering we have competed in certain matches and won games and are still in with a chance of staying up then everyone who has played a decent part this season would be classed as premiership quality as that is the level we are at.

If we had lost every match you could probably make an argument against that.

There are quite clearly very different levels within the league.
    Yeah agree. I think once you get beyond special players, Aguero and the top 6 regulars, there's not a great deal between the players. It's also about what they lack rather than what they can do. For example, Whittingham was more skilful than three quarters of Everton players but he lacked pace and tackling.

Things like motivation, tactics, even personal life, affects performance. If Fernando Torres joined Chelsea first instead of Liverpool we'd probably all say he was crap. There was something else wrong beyond his ability or quality.

I remember a few years ago, a non league team lost 2-0 at anfield or somewhere in the cup. The commentator was saying (maybe a bit patronising I guess) that in general levels there wasn't much between the opposing players but fitness was the massive factor. I guess I'd also add that better players can do one or two magical things in a game that make the difference. I can't imagine that 90% of what Ozil has done this season is a great deal better than what Arter has done for us.

This season, us or Brighton will probably stay up and both teams have players who could go to a midtable championship club and be completely ordinary. It's a whole package, not simply "the players aren't good enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bennett has been good
    Camarasa
    Murphy
    Zohore
    Reid

Bennett has been too inconsistent.

Zohore has how many goals to his name this season? Yes, it could be argued that he has often only made cameo appearances but there's a reason for that and it's not all down to injury.

I'd go with Etheridge, Reid, Camarasa (I do have question marks though as to whether he can withstand the rigours of British football over a whole season) and even an ageing Bamba. I think Murphy could step up if played in the right setup.

I could have picked a better timed example than Ozil, as it looks like he had a stormer last night

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yeah agree. I think once you get beyond special players, Aguero and the top 6 regulars, there's not a great deal between the players. It's also about what they lack rather than what they can do. For example, Whittingham was more skilful than three quarters of Everton players but he lacked pace and tackling.

Things like motivation, tactics, even personal life, affects performance. If Fernando Torres joined Chelsea first instead of Liverpool we'd probably all say he was crap. There was something else wrong beyond his ability or quality.

I remember a few years ago, a non league team lost 2-0 at anfield or somewhere in the cup. The commentator was saying (maybe a bit patronising I guess) that in general levels there wasn't much between the opposing players but fitness was the massive factor. I guess I'd also add that better players can do one or two magical things in a game that make the difference. I can't imagine that 90% of what Ozil has done this season is a great deal better than what Arter has done for us.

This season, us or Brighton will probably stay up and both teams have players who could go to a midtable championship club and be completely ordinary. It's a whole package, not simply "the players aren't good enough".
    I'll say this. Almost every time I watch games involving other teams, I can't believe we're (tenuously) still in with a shout. Even Fulham and Huddersfield are more convincing than us.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'll say this. Almost every time I watch games involving other teams, I can't believe we're (tenuously) still in with a shout. Even Fulham and Huddersfield are more convincing than us.
    Yep, and that's because there's more to it than just how good your players are.

I remember West Ham going down with a great squad and the player of the year (Scott Parker).

How many of our players would be regular selections in other Premier League teams? I think that is a fair way to define "Premier League quality"and, even on our good days, I would suggest not many at all. For me, Neil Warnock's style of management is about trying to get more from the whole than the sum of its parts and, for long spells of his time in charge of us, he has succeeded in doing that, but the higher you go up the football pyramid, the harder it becomes for such a style to succeed. We have players who are capable of Premier League quality spells, but, consistently, week in, week out for most of the ninety minutes? I think we can count on those on one hand and still have a few fingers left over. For me, Neil Etheridge has been the one who has shown the greatest degree of Premier League quality, but, in truth, how many other sides in this league could he be transferred to and go straight into their team as first choice keeper?

3 or 4??? They had 4-5 subs that would all be star players for us, sat on their bench. HUGE gulf in class.

As for PL quality.... Milfy, Tosun, Coleman, Lookman, Richarlison, Bernard, Idrissa Gueye, Digne, Keane, Zouma, Pickford.... Thats a team already. then you got other like Tom Davies, yerry Mina, Waltcott etc.... So i dont see how we are expected to just beat this teams because we are miles off teams like Everton and Watford on paper.

I think Zohore and Ried with the right service. Both suffer from balls being pinged at their heads when they’re both better with balls to feet.

Murphy in a team where he isn’t just playing as a glorified full back.

Camarasa definitely, he suffers from being in midfield where no one else can pass.

Arter if he has creative players in midfield with him.

Bamba maybe?

Etheridge is good, Pickford showed how a proper top level keeper kicks though.

Probably a handful could force their way into a lower end team which makes this season's efforts to date all the more remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I usually think you’re a bit negative but every game I’ve watched this season all I’ve thought in every one is how does every team look more comfortable on the ball than us.

We are good when our game plan clicks and we get it from back to front quickly in the right way (out wide down the wings) rather than hopelessly hoofing it to anyone’s head while they’re isolated.

Come off it Everton have a great squad full of quality players, it just hasn’t clicked consistently for them this season.

Etheridge
    Banana
    Camarasa
    Arter
    Reid
    Niasse
    Zohore
    Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Etheridge is good, Pickford showed how a proper top level keeper kicks though.
    From what I gather the stars in each squad are portrayed as being the ones out on the park, how many of you think the real star is the goalkeeper?

Some look upon the goalkeeper as the lazy git between the 'sticks'.....Admittedly in most Premier Division clubs they do less than the ones out on the park based on their being 10 men trying to stop the oppositions 10 getting near the 'sticks'
    In the case of CCFC it looks like the goalkeeper is the busiest squad member.

If Etheridge is good, who out of Alex Smithies or Brian Murphy would you put between the 'sticks' if Etheridge was injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bennett has been good
    Camarasa
    Murphy
    Zohore
    Reid

I would add to that Gunnarsson, Manga (at centre back), Paterson and Peltier. Could all do a job at a PL team.