+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - VIRGIN MEDIA

OT - VIRGIN MEDIA

I've just received an email from Virgin media stating "Second copyright infringement ALERT"

I watch all the latest series and movies off a site called popcorntime ........ Is this email bull or is it something I should be worried about?

Is there anything I can do to prevent future emails from Virgin?

Would a VPN mask/disguise me visiting so called Illegal?

Re: OT - VIRGIN MEDIA

Sounds like spam to me. Is the sender address genuine?

yes get a vpn

Use a vpn and pirate all your movies/shows. I’ve been doing this for five years and have never had a problem with VM

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Sounds like spam to me. Is the sender address genuine?
    It's real. I've received two of them myself when I've stupidly opened Bitorrent by accident (whilst things were in the process of downloading) without loading my VPN first. Can't believe I got 'caught' downloading f**king 'Chappie'

There’s currently no framework in place to do anything other than warn you, but it is coming in future.

Quote Originally Posted by C1C9F2C7 View Post
    yes get a vpn
    I'll second that.

Apparently you get three warnings and then nothing. But better to be safe than sorry. ipVanish has some good deals.

I have VM too, but how would i go about installing a VPN? As it appears you cant put them on the router, so you would need it on each individual device?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Des View Post
    I have VM too, but how would i go about installing a VPN? As it appears you cant put them on the router, so you would need it on each individual device?
    I've used Express VPN

You have an account with them (as you would do Amazon or whatever) and you should be able to use it across multiple devices - you just have the app on each device, log in each time and away you go (theoretically).
    I even have their App on my Smart TV so I can watch foreign Netflix if I want to.

VPNs are quite commonplace now. AVG and Norton (the anti-virus people) even offer them these days.

Thanks, 10 quid a month is quite expensive though.

Yep, it's not cheap. I think I just used them to see how it all works, plus you could do it month-to-month, so weren't tied in.

AVG's at a quick glance is cheaper

I'm sure if you're interested, you can shop around and find a good deal with a legitimate company.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Des View Post
    Thanks, 10 quid a month is quite expensive though.
    i use this .costs about £30 a year and can use on 5 or 6 devices
    works a treat https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

21st Century shoplifting.

If anyone wants 50% off torguard vpn please let me know.

Need assistance please check as I've pm'd you

How fcuked up is this ....... my virgin media is blocking private internet access

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    How fcuked up is this ....... my virgin media is blocking private internet access
    all sorted now

Same here. Go half’s with my son in law and we share the allocation of devices. Works well easy to install and use and never had a problem torrenting

didn't even realise that was something they did, bloody hell I have been downloading openly on utorrent for 10 years nearly daily and limewire before that!

Also stream football games a couple of times a week

They emailed me the other day to congratulate me on being in the top 30% of downloaders in the uk having downloaded 400gb of content! All of it illegal I think but no warning email.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    They emailed me the other day to congratulate me on being in the top 30% of downloaders in the uk having downloaded 400gb of content! All of it illegal I think but no warning email.
    400! nice work lol, what time span is that over? I worked a full time, night security job a few years back, and used my phone for the duration of the shit, netflix/ i players's / youtube / podcasts ect, When I went to renegotiate my mobile contract I said will it be cheaper to reduce unlimited internet, he said the biggest cap we have is 10gb pm and I am averaging 26gb per month

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I can beat that, when Pipex was the ISP of choice, i was No 6 in the UK , I had to phone them and explain my usage, I asked the guy how far i was away from No 5 as that would have been a achievement , he didnt see the funny side of it, by the time i got off the phone my internet access was gone ( it really was a flick of a switch )

Ive got a 4Tb hard drive plugged into my hub. If i like a downloaded film or box set I'll move it onto that for future viewing and it streams to all the device in the house. Its 3/4 full and thats not accounting for stuff i watched and deleted or re-watched then deleted.I love having a library of stuff there on demand for when I want it. Just checked and there is 835 films not counting things like 5 seasons of The Wire, 9 series of Curb Your Enthusiasm etc etc

I want to know my chart placing now

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    400! nice work lol, what time span is that over? I worked a full time, night security job a few years back, and used my phone for the duration of the shit, netflix/ i players's / youtube / podcasts ect, When I went to renegotiate my mobile contract I said will it be cheaper to reduce unlimited internet, he said the biggest cap we have is 10gb pm and I am averaging 26gb per month
    This is the quote from the email - last month I must have been on a bit of a bender as my avearge usage is 381Gb:

Great to see you’ve been making the most of your brilliant broadband. In fact, you’ve downloaded a whopping monthly average of 381 GB. Plus, with unlimited downloads, you can just carry on doing what you love.

And to help you squeeze the very most out of your WiFi, check out our handy hints and tips here.

We ♥️ your broadband skills, XXXXXXX.

I blame Virgin though - this is my current speed which for prime time on a Friday evening is pretty good I reckon:

8079976070.jpg

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8079976070.png

It is normally 250 download.