+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: That new Alan Partidge show

That new Alan Partidge show

I must admit I fell for the all the hype preceding the launch of this new BBC show and watched the first episode. I realise it is supposed to be a parody of the "The One Show" but frankly I thought it was absolute rubbish and I certainly won't be wasting any more time watching the future episodes. The critics seem to love it, so I guess it'll be another classic case of the "emporer's clothes" - if you don't think it's funny, then you alone are the odd one out! What do others think?

Re: That new Alan Partidge show

There’s just no way he could recreate that show that’s why I won’t be watching

I thought it ok but not worthy of the great reviews

I thought it was OK. A few laugh out loud moments but seemed a long dragged out format that went on too long. It's very much like the office where you're cringing for the embarrassment rather than laughing.

Has he moved on during the last 20+ years?
    I think not.
    But it was miles better than that turgid Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think not.
    Yes the character has moved on a lot. Mid morning matters and Alpha Papa were much smarter than the second series of I'm Alan Partridge.

There were some good lines in this one, the robot from wizard of Oz and Chinaman Square. It wasn't brilliant all the way through and the ending was poor but I'll stick with it

I thought it was very good, think people rush to judge new comedy sometimes. I think certain things get better with rewatches.

The 2 books he released were the best things he’s done I think. Especially the audiobook version read by him in character.

One or two parts were funny but not up to the hype. And the Alan partridge show is still classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think not.
    Warren was hysterical

OK, so it wasn't just me then who was completely underwhelmed with this. Re: Warren - actually I did find this quite funny but maybe that's because I am becoming a bit of a Victor Meldrew myself (so my wife tells me anyway).

I enjoyed it overall and thought it was very funny in places, but I have a problem with the idea of Partridge becoming a sympathetic character and I think he was heading a little in that direction here.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I enjoyed it overall and thought it was very funny in places, but I have a problem with the idea of Partridge becoming a sympathetic character and I think he was heading a little in that direction here.
    Yes definitely felt like we were routing for him a bit more than usual. I wonder if he’ll become more arrogant as the weeks go on.

I thought the third episode was the best so far.

The trouble with Alan Partidge this time around , we have so many parodies of him on television and In everyday life.