+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sol Bamba

Sol Bamba

Definitely charismatic, is a leader on the pitch, would anyone agree that we need to keep him until he retires, then encourage him (if he wants) to take his coaching badges, stay at the club and even potentially be a future manager?

Re: Sol Bamba

Agree that he's been a great player for us, but I don't think you should parachute anyone into a managerial position until they have plenty of experience coaching. Start with the u16s and work the way up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Agree that he's been a great player for us, but I don't think you should parachute anyone into a managerial position until they have plenty of experience coaching. Start with the u16s and work the way up from there.
    Absolutely, which is why I suggested potentially.

Definitely.
    Inspirational and a natural leader.

He said recently that after a pretty nomadic footballing career, he and his family were settled in Cardiff.

I have been thinking about this myself recently. Yes, I feel Bamba has the character to become a good manager one day. Of course, he needs to get his coaching badges but I disagree that he needs to start off on the bottom rung coaching kids.

I was only saying this to my better half yesterday. Perhaps he could step into Neil’s shoes and keep the same backing staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I have been thinking about this myself recently. Yes, I feel Bamba has the character to become a good manager one day. Of course, he needs to get his coaching badges but I disagree that he needs to start off on the bottom rung coaching kids.
    I'd go a step further and say if you need to start off coaching kids, then you probably won't make it as a top manager. Anybody who has got 20 years experience of playing football should already have some ideas about what it takes.

I was hoping that Bellers would take over, any news on the investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'd go a step further and say if you need to start off coaching kids, then you probably won't make it as a top manager. Anybody who has got 20 years experience of playing football should already have some ideas about what it takes.
    Pep managed a youth team. He's not had a bad career.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Actually, you're pretty hard pressed to find a PL manager that wasn't a youth coach. Zidane, Rafa, Jose, AVB, Dyche, Hughton, Wagner, OGS, Siewart, Hasenhuttl, Gracia and Mourinho all coached youth teams.

Heisenberg

Actually, you're pretty hard pressed to find a PL manager that wasn't a youth coach. Zidane, Rafa, Jose, AVB, Dyche, Hughton, Wagner, OGS, Siewart, Hasenhuttl, Gracia and Mourinho all coached youth teams.
    You can add Brendan Rodgers to that list too...

...but apart from all of those examples, if you need to start off coaching kids, then you probably won't make it as a top manager.

Apart from his rant when he got sent off in his early days he's been a credit to the club

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Playing and managing are completely separate, you're no longer one of the lads, you have to make some tough decisions and please people who you really don't like. I find it quite amusing that people are basing Bamba's managerial credentials based on his on field persona, He may be talking a pile of shit that nobody takes any notice of, he may animate himself in order to motivate himself not the other players around him. If we're going to base a players managerial prospects based on their ability to encourage and be vocal, them Peter Schmeichel should be manager of Real Madrid. We don't know if Bamba has the ability to get his message across.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Playing and managing are completely separate, you're no longer one of the lads, you have to make some tough decisions and please people who you really don't like. I find it quite amusing that people are basing Bamba's managerial credentials based on his on field persona, He may be talking a pile of shit that nobody takes any notice of, he may animate himself in order to motivate himself not the other players around him. If we're going to base a players managerial prospects based on their ability to encourage and be vocal, them Peter Schmeichel should be manager of Real Madrid. We don't know if Bamba has the ability to get his message across.
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    THIS
    True, when I was playing we had the ‘hand clappers’ & ‘shouters’ , may have looked & sounded good from the touchline but on the pitch it was ‘shut the f*ck up’ & concentrate on your game. Not knocking Sol at all, he has been marvellous in his time at the club, but the shouters & screamers do it sometimes to mask their own shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

...but apart from all of those examples, if you need to start off coaching kids, then you probably won't make it as a top manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
    Do you ever read a conversations before you open your gob? I was agreeing with another poster, and I'm not wrong about starting off with the U16's. Maybe start with the U18's, but there is no need to start on the bottom rung with the kids.

Which youth team was this, and what age group were they? Also in what year did this take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I never said playing and managing was the same, I just don't think a professional football player with many years of experience needs to start on the bottom rung of the coaching ladder, especially if he is getting paid for it. I can see the value of preparing young players for the first team like the role Bellamy has, but most younger age group players never make it, so it is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Could you just remind me about the clubs where Rodgers had a lengthy professional playing career, which puts him in the same category as Sol Bamba experience wise. Ditto Jose, AVB, Rafa, etc..

Do you ever read a conversations before you open your gob? I was agreeing with another poster, and I'm not wrong about starting off with the U16's. Maybe start with the U18's, but there is no need to start on the bottom rung with the kids.
    That’s what people mean when they say kids pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That’s what people mean when they say kids pal.
    They are two different things mate, most U16's don't make the grade, while the U18's are supposed to be on the periphery of the 1st team, and need professional guidance to make the final step. This is where players like Sol Bamba would be most effective, before they move into to senior management.

Which youth team was this, and what age group were they? Also in what year did this take place?
    I'm a big Pep fan and very keen to learn about his formative years, so when you have a moment I would love to hear from you.