+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warnock the football manager.

Warnock the football manager.

I was wondering what his approach is as a coach/manager after listening to the Balague BBC program about Bielsa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07256wl

The level of detail Bielsa goes into is nuts. It made me think that I know very little about Warnock’s methods. My suspicion is that NW is probably big on man management and less about tactics....but I suspect that is just a lazy idea driven by the media.

Anyone know anything about the ins and outs of things behind the scenes at our club?

Re: Warnock the football manager.

It's obvious he doesn't care about possession and that he likes to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. Which is not to say we are long ball merchants. When it is executed properly (like against Villa in August 2017) it's exciting and attractive football. When we don't get our way it's kind of tedious and depressing. Last year we worked harder than most. We out muscled and out hustled most teams. I remember the Wolves game at CCS being surprised at how easily their defenders managed. The so-called "dangerous" balls we played into their box were dealt with with relative ease. This season almost every game has been like that. Also, I've been surprised at how tough most EPL midfields are. They obviously have more skillful players who are more creative, but it also seems like they're stronger, fitter and tackle better than our lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I was wondering what his approach is as a coach/manager after listening to the Balague BBC program about Bielsa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07256wl

The level of detail Bielsa goes into is nuts. It made me think that I know very little about Warnock’s methods. My suspicion is that NW is probably big on man management and less about tactics....but I suspect that is just a lazy idea driven by the media.

Anyone know anything about the ins and outs of things behind the scenes at our club?
    No it's not a lazy idea by the media. It is well documented and references from many many players who worked under him. One said before the season kick off. It's just to simple for the premier league. Guess he had a point. And we had a manager who goes into details like Bielsa. But apparently he was clueless..

It would be extremely naive to assume Warnock and his team aren't detailed in relation to tactics.

You don't have the success he has in the game by just being a man manager, a motivator. You also don't get the success he has had by just having tactical systems in place and dossiers on opponents. He clearly has a great blend of the two.

I'm sure most managers are meticulous in their approach to how they want to play the game their way and/or the way they feel will get the most out of their players.

I'd say he had a more flexible style, he isn't stubborn about how the game "should" be played. I've seen us play some great football under his management, but also some poor football, ultimately and overall it has been successful football.

The details of how they prepare, I can't tell you, I'm not sure he has given a PowerPoint presentation on it like Bielsa has.

Brilliant man manager, the praise he gives publicly to some players must make them feel like they're 10 feet tall.

Very simple tactically. Defenders defend and attackers attack. I don't see why it couldn't be effective at this level, just we have a much weaker squad than everyone else.

Definitely has his limitations, but after Ole and Trollope his simple style was exactly what we needed.

Also, after Sala's tragic death I can't imagine anyone who id rather have there to put his arm around the team and help them through a traumatic time.

Most of the signings we've tried to make seem to have made sense, so I can't criticise him too much on that, just it would have been nice to know what could have been if I e or two more could have come off

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    And we had a manager who goes into details like Bielsa. But apparently he was clueless..
    Are we talking Malky?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43948672

Warnock doesn't get 8 promotions without being able to set a team up. Bielsa is crazy but I bet similar levels of detail is done by the analysts at Cardiff. Most Championship managers when asked about Bielsa's data were like, "yeah, and?". He's the "in" manager at the moment, and there will be others like him. I'd even like Bielsa at Cardiff (in the Prem) but his teams burn out and the wheels are starting to fall off at Leeds.

Before the Southampton home game [I think], they had just appointed Hassenhuttl. Apparently Warnock and his team had researched how he set his teams up in various situations when he was in Germany - so pretty thorough it seems...

Bielsa has an average of 50 matches per club managed. Take away Bilbao and it's 40 games per club managed. Take away Bilbao, Newells Old Boys and Atlas and it down to 35 matches per team. It's not a good record.

I think Warnock is too conservative at times

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I think Warnock is too conservative at times
    Yeah like his Brexit rant for starters

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Warnock doesn't get 8 promotions without being able to set a team up. Bielsa is crazy but I bet similar levels of detail is done by the analysts at Cardiff. Most Championship managers when asked about Bielsa's data were like, "yeah, and?". He's the "in" manager at the moment, and there will be others like him. I'd even like Bielsa at Cardiff (in the Prem) but his teams burn out and the wheels are starting to fall off at Leeds.
    Yes the bielsa thing is boring. I am sure most clubs have similar stats.

There was a good piece on wales online about us last season, but it seems warnock leaves the tactics to his assistants mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I wouldn't say he's the in manager at the moment - he's been a hugely influential manager for more than 20 years! Many of the top managers in world football today cite him as a big influence.
    Managed 2 teams at world cups, won the olympic games football, been a runner up in the copa america.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    No it's not a lazy idea by the media. It is well documented and references from many many players who worked under him. One said before the season kick off. It's just to simple for the premier league. Guess he had a point. And we had a manager who goes into details like Bielsa. But apparently he was clueless..
    Are you on about slade or trollope here?

Hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bielsa has an average of 50 matches per club managed. Take away Bilbao and it's 40 games per club managed. Take away Bilbao, Newells Old Boys and Atlas and it down to 35 matches per team. It's not a good record.
    Well he left espanyol it was to do the Argentina job, so that can't really count against him, and him leaving Lazio and Lille were more to do with conflict with the board than his abilities

Balague has had some of the best insights on some of the best managers in the game, so if he is calling him a genius there must be at least a grain of truth to it.

More than that though, I just think it’s cool to get such a clear picture of what his methods are and why they work.

I think it’d be interesting to hear a similar piece on Warnock as he is undoubtedly one of the more stand out managers in English football. I suspect he’s taken a large part of his inspiration from Winston Churchill.

Seeing as Osian Roberts has waxed lyrical on Warnock's tactics on more than one occasion I'd imagine he's not bad tactically

Add that to his multiple promotions and long career, he can't be that bad

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Seeing as Osian Roberts has waxed lyrical on Warnock's tactics on more than one occasion I'd imagine he's not bad tactically

Add that to his multiple promotions and long career, he can't be that bad
    Well yes, you don't stay in the job for that many years without picking a few things up

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Are you on about slade or trollope here?

Hard to tell.
    It certainly wasn't Dave Jones. Jay Bothroyd said on one occasion that he didn't worry about the opposition and did little to counteract what they might do. For Jones it was about setting his team up to make the opposition worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It certainly wasn't Dave Jones. Jay Bothroyd said on one occasion that he didn't worry about the opposition and did little to counteract what they might do. For Jones it was about setting his team up to make the opposition worry.
    People said the same about Wenger.

....first time those to have been mentioned in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    People said the same about Wenger.

....first time those to have been mentioned in the same sentence.
    That makes quite a bit of sense. Both Arsenal in the day and City could destroy opponents but often came short against teams who would scrap and battle in midfield. Both could have a very soft underbelly. It's ultimately what cost Jones promotion and his job.

speaking of Jones have we played football as good to watch since he left? i do miss that sour old bastard at times tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That makes quite a bit of sense. Both Arsenal in the day and City could destroy opponents but often came short against teams who would scrap and battle in midfield. Both could have a very soft underbelly. It's ultimately what cost Jones promotion and his job.
    How that side didn’t get promoted I will never understand we should’ve blitzed the league in Jones’ final season

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    speaking of Jones have we played football as good to watch since he left? i do miss that sour old bastard at times tbh
    Yes. We've also played some really dreadful stuff since as well, reminiscent of the bad days under him, of which there were too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't say he's the in manager at the moment - he's been a hugely influential manager for more than 20 years! Many of the top managers in world football today cite him as a big influence.
    Managed 2 teams at world cups, won the olympic games football, been a runner up in the copa america.
    Bielsa is definitely flavour of the month at the moment. Where are the articles about Farke?