+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welsh cakes

welsh cakes

Daughter just worked out i have just eaten 17 welsh cakes

I blame the Wife all made on a real bakestone ( 5th generation by all accounts ) on the hob

Re: welsh cakes

You ate 17 welsh cakes in one day? Over how long?

Need more context than "I have just eaten 17 welsh cakes". Size of said Welsh cakes in discussion ? Not sure I believe you have eaten 17 regular sized Welsh cakes similar to those sold in most shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Bakestones.
    Yes! Whilst acknowledging some people call them Welsh cakes, the bakestone is what I was brought up on (not literally) thanks to my nan. I'm glad someone else uses their proper name. 17 though is excessive.

17 is a very worrying number , I get dry mouth after one .

Like my one with good salty butter .

Good luck with the cholesterol tests, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You ate 17 welsh cakes in one day? Over how long?
    about 1 hour i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Need more context than "I have just eaten 17 welsh cakes". Size of said Welsh cakes in discussion ? Not sure I believe you have eaten 17 regular sized Welsh cakes similar to those sold in most shops.
    just measured the cutter, its 3" in diameter ( same size as my nan used to make, just big enough to put whole into your mouth ) and about ( at a guess as i have eaten them ) 3/4" in thickness, straight of the bakestone, into the suger tray and about 1/2 of them straight into my mouth, other 1/2 on a plate

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Yes! Whilst acknowledging some people call them Welsh cakes, the bakestone is what I was brought up on (not literally) thanks to my nan. I'm glad someone else uses their proper name. 17 though is excessive.
    I always thought the bakestone is what they are cooked on

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    17 is a very worrying number , I get dry mouth after one .

Like my one with good salty butter .

Good luck with the cholesterol tests, lol.
    we put them in a dish / tray type of thing full of sugar, when they are hot, the sugar sticks to them really well

good job St Davids day is only once a year

I remember them being called bakestones when I was a kid but I am hundreds of years old.

Welshcakes.

Cooked on a bakestone.

I literally never heard them called Welsh cakes until I went to work in Bristol 20 years ago.

For me it was bake stones as a child ,then nationalism took over ,its all very tribal now ,lol.

""""Although stone became replaced with cast iron plate in the 19th century its name remained unchanged. In Wales, a bakestone, 'maen' in Welsh; 'gradell' in the north of the country, and 'planc', is the name for the cast iron or steel griddle used for cooking Welsh cakes, especially in South Wales.""

Always called bakestones in our house when I was a kid. Mind you a mother from Newtown thought Cardiff was a part of Ireland anyway😂😂

Never really thought about it but yea as we are in Wales, Welsh cake does seem a bit funny. Do Brazilians call nuts Brazil nuts.

And 17 is very excessive. 17 biscuits I could get but after a couple of Welsh cakes I feel like I've had enough and they are quite dry.

They are just rubbish scones

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    😤

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Get the **** out

Were Yorkshire puddings first made in Yorkshire? Is hotpot from outside Lancashire just called hotpot? Cornish pasties do originate from the mining days there apparently. Wonder where & when names of places before food started, I don’t know I’m Venitian blind to it all?

Rubbish scones? Scones are nothing. You have to put jam on them. Welsh cakes have flavour. Nutmeg and raisins. You're trippin'. Or your mam makes shit welsh cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Rubbish scones? Sones are nothing. You have to put jam on them. Welsh cakes have flavour. Nutmeg and raisins. You're trippin'. Or your mam makes shit welsh cakes.
    But her bakestones are gorgeous 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Welshcakes.

Cooked on a bakestone.
    Bakestones....cooked on a bakestone. Any other name is a marketing ploy.

They’re called bakestones, you can only call them welshcakes when they’re made in the welshcake region of France.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    They’re called bakestones, you can only call them welshcakes when they’re made in the welshcake region of France.
    Touché

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Daughter just worked out i have just eaten 17 welsh cakes

I blame the Wife all made on a real bakestone ( 5th generation by all accounts ) on the hob
    Lightly toasted with salted butter.

And a cup of welsh brew tea.

Yes please

Thought I was being called out

International

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Never really thought about it but yea as we are in Wales, Welsh cake does seem a bit funny. Do Brazilians call nuts Brazil nuts.

And 17 is very excessive. 17 biscuits I could get but after a couple of Welsh cakes I feel like I've had enough and they are quite dry.
    Apparently Brazil nuts are unique in that instead of the nuts being named after the country, the country was named after the nuts. (But I did get that from the Chris Evans breakfast show )