Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Think that’s us done

Re: Think that’s us done

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’d prefer to be in the trenches next to you than some of the others
    This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If we lose to West Ham and Southampton win on the same weekend then I do believe it's a challenge too far. However, in that scenario, we're then looking at what makes us ready to bounce straight back the next season and the answer is to do all the things Warnock was so happy with earlier on this year by having a large, supportive crowd that stays with the team and sees that losing one game doesn't mean the end of things. Leaving the stadium on 70 minutes does not help set this club up for longer term success and it's one thing we can control.
    Ooh, you’ve done it now.
    Normally if someone says something like this they are bombarded with ‘I’ll do what I want,’ and ‘who are you to tell me when I can leave’ etc...

Truth is, if we want that extra 1-2% from the players then we can do our bit by being supportive when things are going wrong.

I think people really don’t realise what effect a supportive crowd can have on you as a player.

Also, if it’s a straight choice between 2 clubs and one is known for having patient, passionate fans who stick with you no matter what and the other one has a fickle fan base then I know which one I would choose if I was a player looking for a new club.

But if ‘beating the traffic’ or getting that extra pint down you mean more then in the long run we ( as TLG once said) get the club we deserve.

The players we have are giving their all, we have the weakest squad in the division and despite this awful last week are still punching above our weight. To me they deserve as much backing as we can give them.

At least we can go down with our heads held high, not look like a fanbase who give up when the going gets tough.

So far, for the majority of the time it’s been good. 4 homes and 5 aways left to keep that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    This 100%
    It's a good Analogy, plenty of poor men were motivated to leave the 'trenches' in order to gain ground, sadly there was little strategy apart from run at the opposition and hope that they miss their opportunity to nail you-A bit daft to compare mindless death with a game of football, but it wasn't me who started it (i've done it again) The problem i have is the performance levels, or lack of, it's all well and good to 'believe' and live in hope but that doesn't really get us anywhere. We aren't creating chances, we look devoid of ideas and creativity, we can't defend and can be thankful for Etheridge keeping the goals against down. These are the worrying aspects to our play, we don't look like getting a result, players aren't performing and are struggling with the basics. If we lose to better opposition then that's fine, what isn't fine is that we are gifting teams results without a fightback or any level of sustained pressure-That's the worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's a good Analogy, plenty of poor men were motivated to leave the 'trenches' in order to gain ground, sadly there was little strategy apart from run at the opposition and hope that they miss their opportunity to nail you-A bit daft to compare mindless death with a game of football, but it wasn't me who started it (i've done it again) The problem i have is the performance levels, or lack of, it's all well and good to 'believe' and live in hope but that doesn't really get us anywhere. We aren't creating chances, we look devoid of ideas and creativity, we can't defend and can be thankful for Etheridge keeping the goals against down. These are the worrying aspects to our play, we don't look like getting a result, players aren't performing and are struggling with the basics. If we lose to better opposition then that's fine, what isn't fine is that we are gifting teams results without a fightback or any level of sustained pressure-That's the worry.
    I think I’m right in saying we had more shots and corners than Wolvesalona yesterday
    (Not certain about shots, but it close)

Yes, we’re suffering at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    This 100%
    There is a quarter of a season to go. We're not done yet. There are two teams we can realistically catch: we've taken 6 points off one of them, and the other has to be one of the worst teams we've played and I see no reason why we cannot get a result when we play them. We are still in the fight and have every right to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I think I’m right in saying we had more shots and corners than Wolvesalona yesterday
    (Not certain about shots, but it close)

Yes, we’re suffering at the moment
    In fairness, we did try and play on a few occasions yesterday, Camarasa being the main protagonist, although we were forced to try and play through the middle as we had ditched the wingers. Wolves are a better team than us that's a given, no shame in that. Problem is the mistakes, both goals were avoidable and the second just killed it, What the hell was Bamba thinking just after we had gone a goal down? We can't afford to gift other teams goals like that, we're at a disadvantage at 0-0. Maybe if we hadn't conceded that second goal and as the game went on, Wolves may have defended deeper to protect the advantage, and we may have got something out of the game. Bamba killed it on 20 minutes. There's no excuse for mistakes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Bacuna wont be moving on. Will still have 4 years left.

Only at Cardiff could we sign a guy who is nowhere near the standard required, no better than what we had, can’t get in the team, and give him a 4.5 year deal

Who’s his agent? James Warnock?
    OMG ....... Stand Up Comedian by any chance

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Burnley and Southampton lost didnt they ? We are not out of this yet. Why give up.
    didn't see one cardiff player of prem standard yesterday, so we will defo go down,and tactically we have no plan b.

In fairness, we did try and play on a few occasions yesterday, Camarasa being the main protagonist, although we were forced to try and play through the middle as we had ditched the wingers. Wolves are a better team than us that's a given, no shame in that. Problem is the mistakes, both goals were avoidable and the second just killed it, What the hell was Bamba thinking just after we had gone a goal down? We can't afford to gift other teams goals like that, we're at a disadvantage at 0-0. Maybe if we hadn't conceded that second goal and as the game went on, Wolves may have defended deeper to protect the advantage, and we may have got something out of the game. Bamba killed it on 20 minutes. There's no excuse for mistakes like that.
    Bamba is one of the best players we have signed in the last ten years. To put all the blame on one player is ridiculous. Sounds like you want to raise a possee and go have a lynching. The team are all in it together and the fans should stand behind the team together. Why should the players put the effort in to get back into a match if they are playing in a half empty stadium. We were only 2-0 down to Everton when people started leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by banogboy14 View Post
    didn't see one cardiff player of prem standard yesterday, so we will defo go down,and tactically we have no plan b.
    Please explain how we have managed to beat seven teams then this season, including Southampton twice. When we lost four or five in a row around Christmas 2017, all the same people were on here writing off our chances of getting promotion as are saying we are already down now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Manga spoke to my mate the other day and is settled and wants to stay.. whether he does or not is another thing.

I think Connolly is out of contract too

Only loss out of the others is Gunnar and he may still stay yet.

The other 3 can leave

Firstly I don’t think it’s over yet.

Massive game next Sat, you never know..

But if we do go down then we’ve got 2 top keepers

2 excellent centre backs.., Bamba and Morrison

2 very good left backs.. Bennett and Cunningham

One decent Championship right back.. Peltier

Then some decent midfielders ... Ralls and Bacuna ( plus one who I expect to step up from the youth very soon)

3 very good wide men at that level.. Murphy, NML, Hoillet

Then Reid, Zohore, Ward ( I’d expect Healey to go) up front.
    Possibly a rejuvenated Madine too.

3 or 4 decent acquisitions and we’d have a very good Championship squad. I can’t see many players being sold as not many have stood out enough to be bought by Premier league clubs.

The big challenge will be for the manager to motivate them to go for it again.

Saying all that - it’s far from over yet and as anyone who knows me will know I won’t give up until it’s mathematically impossible
    Make that 1 keeper. Etheridge will deffo find another premier club. Ironically when ee last got relegated, Marshall left for Hull, and we know how that panned out.

Bamba is one of the best players we have signed in the last ten years. To put all the blame on one player is ridiculous. Sounds like you want to raise a possee and go have a lynching. The team are all in it together and the fans should stand behind the team together. Why should the players put the effort in to get back into a match if they are playing in a half empty stadium. We were only 2-0 down to Everton when people started leaving.
    A lynching? you need to be careful with your words. He was at fault for both goals, one of them was youth team stuff, what chance do we give ourselves if players make mistakes like that? Why are you talking about half empty stadiums-What has that got to do with my observations and opinion?

A lynching? you need to be careful with your words. He was at fault for both goals, one of them was youth team stuff, what chance do we give ourselves if players make mistakes like that? Why are you talking about half empty stadiums-What has that got to do with my observations and opinion?
    Stupid thing to say agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    Make that 1 keeper. Etheridge will deffo find another premier club. Ironically when ee last got relegated, Marshall left for Hull, and we know how that panned out.
    I wouldn’t be so sure.
    Most Prem clubs have at least 2 top quality keepers.

Would he want to leave to be 2nd or 3rd choice at Burnley or Newcastle ?

We’d want a big fee too

Manga spoke to my mate the other day and is settled and wants to stay.. whether he does or not is another thing.

I think Connolly is out of contract too

Only loss out of the others is Gunnar and he may still stay yet.

The other 3 can leave

Firstly I don’t think it’s over yet.

Massive game next Sat, you never know..

But if we do go down then we’ve got 2 top keepers

2 excellent centre backs.., Bamba and Morrison

2 very good left backs.. Bennett and Cunningham

One decent Championship right back.. Peltier

Then some decent midfielders ... Ralls and Bacuna ( plus one who I expect to step up from the youth very soon)

3 very good wide men at that level.. Murphy, NML, Hoillet

Then Reid, Zohore, Ward ( I’d expect Healey to go) up front.
    Possibly a rejuvenated Madine too.

3 or 4 decent acquisitions and we’d have a very good Championship squad. I can’t see many players being sold as not many have stood out enough to be bought by Premier league clubs.

The big challenge will be for the manager to motivate them to go for it again.

Saying all that - it’s far from over yet and as anyone who knows me will know I won’t give up until it’s mathematically impossible
    This is the problem. We had a good Championship squad made better by Warnock's knowledge of the division and our ability to stop teams playing. We managed to win promotion with a midfield that couldn't pass water and striking options which were not good enough.

Reid is decent up top but I'm still not convinced Zohore can guarantee a good season and I'd offload him. I would argue that, since the departure of Bothroyd and Chopra, we haven't had a front two as good as those. Ward and Bogle can go as well.

Our midfield can't pass water. I mentioned a while ago, maybe even last season, that the club has brought in very few technically good midfielders in recent times. They've all been battlers. Our best midfield passer of this century has been McPhail, followed by Whitts, though I preferred Whittingham having a free attacking role out wide. Camarasa won't stay if we go down (probably won't stay if we somehow stay up). It's about time we had a go at being a team that can keep possession and look to break down opponents, rather than play a long ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This is the problem. We had a good Championship squad made better by Warnock's knowledge of the division and our ability to stop teams playing. We managed to win promotion with a midfield that couldn't pass water and striking options which were not good enough.

Reid is decent up top but I'm still not convinced Zohore can guarantee a good season and I'd offload him. I would argue that, since the departure of Bothroyd and Chopra, we haven't had a front two as good as those. Ward and Bogle can go as well.

Our midfield can't pass water. I mentioned a while ago, maybe even last season, that the club has brought in very few technically good midfielders in recent times. They've all been battlers. Our best midfield passer of this century has been McPhail, followed by Whitts, though I preferred Whittingham having a free attacking role out wide. Camarasa won't stay if we go down (probably won't stay if we somehow stay up). It's about time we had a go at being a team that can keep possession and look to break down opponents, rather than play a long ball game.
    There’s too many grafters in our side who can only get you so far, what has disappointed me this season is that we’ve been so poor from the things we are supposed to be good at like set pieces yesterday for example we all must surely know that boly is a beast so when you take these stupid long throws he’s the last person you want to aim it at yet everyone was to him. Warnock dropped a bollock yesterday dropping all our main wingers from the entire squad as we no longer had another option and why does he only ever replace the front 3 no matter how the rest are playing

Some players get far too highly rated after theyve gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    There’s too many grafters in our side who can only get you so far, what has disappointed me this season is that we’ve been so poor from the things we are supposed to be good at like set pieces yesterday for example we all must surely know that boly is a beast so when you take these stupid long throws he’s the last person you want to aim it at yet everyone was to him. Warnock dropped a bollock yesterday dropping all our main wingers from the entire squad as we no longer had another option and why does he only ever replace the front 3 no matter how the rest are playing
    I’ve said before, we’ve got enough big players not to always have to go for Morrison at the throws.

However if you have 1 or 2 dominant centre halfs then because the throws ( especially Gunnars) are so loopy one man can cover a pretty big area as he will have so long to get to them.

Morrison’s throws are flatter and better, but there doesn’t seem much ch confidence in anyone else winning anything from them.

Boly really is a beast though and I agree, we needed to do what we could to keep it away from him.

Not easy though.

Some shorter throws or ones to the outer part of the box just to create some doubt would help, however we just don’t win enough of them to have the option of mixing it up.

I’ve said before, we’ve got enough big players not to always have to go for Morrison at the throws.

However if you have 1 or 2 dominant centre halfs then because the throws ( especially Gunnars) are so loopy one man can cover a pretty big area as he will have so long to get to them.

Morrison’s throws are flatter and better, but there doesn’t seem much ch confidence in anyone else winning anything from them.

Boly really is a beast though and I agree, we needed to do what we could to keep it away from him.

Not easy though.

Some shorter throws or ones to the outer part of the box just to create some doubt would help, however we just don’t win enough of them to have the option of mixing it up.
    It’s very frustrating Tim why we keep persisting with just cause there’s a small chance it may come off yet it puts us under more pressure as it makes it easy for teams to counter against us

There’s too many grafters in our side who can only get you so far, what has disappointed me this season is that we’ve been so poor from the things we are supposed to be good at like set pieces yesterday for example we all must surely know that boly is a beast so when you take these stupid long throws he’s the last person you want to aim it at yet everyone was to him.
    It hasn't helped that players in the Premier League seem to be bigger and stronger than they are in the Championship. We've looked quite a lightweight side in some games and our physical prowess, which worked so well in the 2nd tier, hasn't been particularly effective.

Our pass success rate is up from 59% last season to 64%, still woeful for Premier League standards. Despite being a long ball side (or one that gets it from back to front quickly), we have the worst long ball success rate in the PL and, it may come as no surprise, we have the worst short pass success rate as well (73%, almost 6% worse than Burnley). Such poor passing was unlikely to give us a chance.

Some might say that Leicester won the PL with a pass success rate of 70%. They had great forwards with terrifying pace, a midfield that would press and make the opposition make mistakes and a solid back 4 that gave nothing away. We haven't had a forward for most of the season, have a back 4 that are prone to errors and a midfield that sits back and hopes for a mistake to give us the ball.

It’s very frustrating Tim why we keep persisting with just cause there’s a small chance it may come off yet it puts us under more pressure as it makes it easy for teams to counter against us
    It's not only that all of these throws come to nothing, they also stop any momentum we may have built up (especially if someone like Morrison has got to trot fifty yards or more to take it). We are not, and don't want to be, a side that passes the opposition to death, we try to hustle and harry teams into mistakes, but the endless long throws we see only allow them to get organised.

Went through this thread and found myself agreeing with the pessimistic posters yet having slept on it now find myself agreeing with the optimists. Probably sums up our rollercoaster season.

When I think about it rationally I expected us to get relegated before the season began but hoped we’d make a fight of it.

I think we’ve done the latter, and we’re still in with a shout, but if pushed I’d say we’ll be relegated after 36 (maybe 37) games.

I’ll be gutted if that happens as I’d love to see what we might turn into if we had 3 or more years to build and go again and again. Feels like we have some reasonable financial muscle if Tan wanted to go for it and we would certainly have the fan base to drive other revenue other than TV money

I’m resigned to the fact that Cardiff City will never realise our potential in my lifetime which is the bit I hate most
    Last edited by StraightOuttaCanton; 03-03-19 at 18:26. Reason: Adding

Why are you making out that I recommended a lynching ? It was your words that gave the impression of a witch hunt against Bamba, as you well know. Get off individual players backs and support them when they need it most. If you go to home games, do you walk out with twenty minutes to go - wouldnt be surprised with your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Stupid thing to say agreed.
    Honest to god - which century are you living in. Why dont you actually read my post before jumping in. What I said was an analogy of what Tuerto had posted about Bamba. Simple.

Why are you making out that I recommended a lynching ? It was your words that gave the impression of a witch hunt against Bamba, as you well know. Get off individual players backs and support them when they need it most. If you go to home games, do you walk out with twenty minutes to go - wouldnt be surprised with your attitude.
    You know what you said-Cretin.