Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Think that’s us done

Re: Think that’s us done

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The good news is £65 million drop money

Wonder what the wage bill will drop to?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Because its easier for some than having belief and a potential disappointment. So they accept a version of events which may or may not be the case. We are clearly not out of it yet and aren't a far different side to Southampton.

We have one of the most fickle fan bases around.

We spend years trying for promotion only for some fans to give up with 9 matches left. I don't get it.
    It’s the hope that kills you.....

Because its easier for some than having belief and a potential disappointment. So they accept a version of events which may or may not be the case. We are clearly not out of it yet and aren't a far different side to Southampton.

We spend years trying for promotion only for some fans to give up with 9 matches left. I don't get it.
    Southampton lost at Old Trafford today by conceding in the last minute.
    That games would have been wrapped up for Man Utd around the 30 minute mark.

Objectively speaking, we are looking screwed. Just look at how we are playing and then check out our fixtures vs Southampton's fixtures and current form. I think you are being unrealistic if you think we still have a fair chance of staying up.

Plus neither the manager nor management have shown much in the way of an abition/hope to stay up, so blaming the fans for being fickle is a bit rich. They, along with the players, are the only ones that have shown the desire to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well still be stuck with a load of dross

..would that be the dross that achieved 90 pts last season..and 25 so far this?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Burnley and Southampton lost didnt they ? We are not out of this yet. Why give up.
    The problem I have got is I cannot see where any more points are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Objectively speaking, we are looking screwed. Just look at how we are playing and then check out our fixtures vs Southampton's fixtures and current form. I think you are being unrealistic if you think we still have a fair chance of staying up.

Plus neither the manager nor management have shown much in the way of an abition/hope to stay up, so blaming the fans for being fickle is a bit rich. They, along with the players, are the only ones that have shown the desire to stay up.
    What is unrealistic about us having a chance over 9 matches when 3 points behind a poor Southampton who we have beaten twice? I'm in no way saying we will do it but if as a fanbase we can't get up for the final 9 matches and should just look forward to the Championship then I just don't see the point in any of it. May as well forever just stay in the Championship.

Yet if we went down, over the summer people would be renewed with belief, the sun shining, the new signings, a holiday romance and they would come back on here saying we have a chance of the Premier league again, but this time having to better 10-12 teams over 46 matches. All so the season after we could possibly be right back where we are now.

Given the doomsday predictions pre season, the lack of budget and the tragic events in January I think it's quite something we are just 3 points off safety. Personally I wouldn't write this team off, they have surprised me time and again since Warnock arrived, but each to their own.

What is unrealistic about us having a chance over 9 matches when 3 points behind a poor Southampton who we have beaten twice? I'm in no way saying we will do it but if as a fanbase we can't get up for the final 9 matches and should just look forward to the Championship then I just don't see the point in any of it. May as well forever just stay in the Championship.

Yet if we went down, over the summer people would be renewed with belief, the sun shining, the new signings, a holiday romance and they would come back on here saying we have a chance of the Premier league again, but this time having to better 10-12 teams over 46 matches. All so the season after we could possibly be right back where we are now.

Given the doomsday predictions pre season, the lack of budget and the tragic events in January I think it's quite something we are just 3 points off safety. Personally I wouldn't write this team off, they have surprised me time and again since Warnock arrived, but each to their own.
    Well said

I’d prefer to be in the trenches next to you than some of the others

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Ecuele Manga, Richards, Gunnarsson, Harris and Damour are out of contract.
    Manga spoke to my mate the other day and is settled and wants to stay.. whether he does or not is another thing.

I think Connolly is out of contract too

Only loss out of the others is Gunnar and he may still stay yet.

The other 3 can leave

Firstly I don’t think it’s over yet.

Massive game next Sat, you never know..

But if we do go down then we’ve got 2 top keepers

2 excellent centre backs.., Bamba and Morrison

2 very good left backs.. Bennett and Cunningham

One decent Championship right back.. Peltier

Then some decent midfielders ... Ralls and Bacuna ( plus one who I expect to step up from the youth very soon)

3 very good wide men at that level.. Murphy, NML, Hoillet

Then Reid, Zohore, Ward ( I’d expect Healey to go) up front.
    Possibly a rejuvenated Madine too.

3 or 4 decent acquisitions and we’d have a very good Championship squad. I can’t see many players being sold as not many have stood out enough to be bought by Premier league clubs.

The big challenge will be for the manager to motivate them to go for it again.

Saying all that - it’s far from over yet and as anyone who knows me will know I won’t give up until it’s mathematically impossible

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Southampton lost at Old Trafford today by conceding in the last minute.
    That games would have been wrapped up for Man Utd around the 30 minute mark.
    And yet Southampton have only managed 2 points more than us over 29 games. Whether we like it or not we're not down yet.

Spot on Trigger

The team have done incredibly well despite having little support from the board. We are losing now ‘cause the players are smashed.

The fans have and will continue to be amazing in the stadium. I personally don’t see a messageboard as a place for rally cries but for debate. I’m debating our chances of staying up.

Our manager has said on more than one occasion that we stand little chance of staying up. Why do people keep ignoring this fact?The board haven’t invested anywhere near enough. Why people are surprised or disappointed is beyond me.

Also, sides like us have essentially 12 games (or more) less a season due to the gulf in ability between the huge sides and what is essentially a top championship-standard team. We are miles behind. In real terms we can probably write off 3/4 of our remaining games, leaving us with 5 fixtures. If Southampton win two , we’ll need three wins. Thing is , Southampton are looking like they could pick up three wins themselves, meaning we’d have to win all of our easier home fixtures plus an away win. It’s doable but remote. Hence, I think we are pretty much down.

The team have done incredibly well despite having little support from the board. We are losing now ‘cause the players are smashed.

The fans have and will continue to be amazing in the stadium. I personally don’t see a messageboard as a place for rally cries but for debate. I’m debating our chances of staying up.

Our manager has said on more than one occasion that we stand little chance of staying up. Why do people keep ignoring this fact?The board haven’t invested anywhere near enough. Why people are surprised or disappointed is beyond me.

Also, sides like us have essentially 12 games (or more) less a season due to the gulf in ability between the huge sides and what is essentially a top championship-standard team. We are miles behind. In real terms we can probably write off 3/4 of our remaining games, leaving us with 5 fixtures. If Southampton win two , we’ll need three wins. Thing is , Southampton are looking like they could pick up three wins themselves, meaning we’d have to win all of our easier home fixtures plus an away win. It’s doable but remote. Hence, I think we are pretty much down.
    I’d say we need more than 1 away win to stay up, but it’s not impossible.. Burnley, Fulham, Brighton all to play. We’ve already beaten 2 of those and really should have beaten the 3rd.

My fear in August is we would be where Huddersfield are.

All I ask each season is that we have something to play for - and we still have.

Lots of times we had bad spells last season and were written off and bounced back.

Even a few weeks back after the Spurs , Newcastle and Man U games we were written off

It’s on to the next one and as has been proven, 1 or 2 wins changes things a lot.

Getting 0 out of those last two home games really wasn't good. Still, I don't get it why people think that this weekend was the one that finally cracked it. Everything went as expected. The only result that we could have hoped for maybe would have been for Huddersfield to have got something at Brighton.

Warnock managed a much more amazing feat of recovery at Rotherham before he came to us, so it is possible.
    I think we are going down, but you never know.

Well still be stuck with a load of dross
    A bit like our so called supporters, “a load of old dross”.

Doesn’t take much for our fan base to turn against our players and managers.

If we go down, the first 7 or 8 games of the season, where we didn't win any will be what is to blame.
    Had we won the Burnley game, they would be right in trouble and we would be that bit closer. Throw in the times we played against Huddersfield and Newcastle who were both down to 10 men and we really should have taken more from those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    A bit like our so called supporters, “a load of old dross”.

Doesn’t take much for our fan base to turn against our players and managers.
    We still have the nucleus of the team that came up, adding the pace of Murphy and Reid to that and maybe zohore can score in the championship I reckon we would do ok. I’d love to keep Arter but can’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Getting 0 out of those last two home games really wasn't good. Still, I don't get it why people think that this weekend was the one that finally cracked it. Everything went as expected. The only result that we could have hoped for maybe would have been for Huddersfield to have got something at Brighton.
    Points wise yes.

But southampton had man united busting a gut at home to get a late winner- after saints took the lead and then equalised to make it 2-2.

Brighton threw everything at huddersfield and finally broke through.

Meanwhile watford everton and wolves had the game sown up very early v us and all games ended in walking pace.

Issue isnt the points but currently other teams are fighting and scrapping and keep getting back up after being knocked down, while we are getting knocked down with a feather and staying down.

Bacuna wont be moving on. Will still have 4 years left.

Only at Cardiff could we sign a guy who is nowhere near the standard required, no better than what we had, can’t get in the team, and give him a 4.5 year deal

Who’s his agent? James Warnock?
    Something not right with this deal. Should be investigated.

People going on about the gulf in quality between PL and Championship but a lot of the 10 goals conceded in the last 3 games have been down to our own errors rather than the superior quality of the opposition.

What Bamba did yesterday for their 2nd goal was piss poor at any level. You can’t try and beat the striker when you’re the last line of defence.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Something not right with this deal. Should be investigated.
    We’re not going to sign anyone who’s doesn’t improve the team though....

If we lose to West Ham and Southampton win on the same weekend then I do believe it's a challenge too far. However, in that scenario, we're then looking at what makes us ready to bounce straight back the next season and the answer is to do all the things Warnock was so happy with earlier on this year by having a large, supportive crowd that stays with the team and sees that losing one game doesn't mean the end of things. Leaving the stadium on 70 minutes does not help set this club up for longer term success and it's one thing we can control.

Warnock - the messiah three weeks ago.

Always said it - we're one of the most embarrassing/fickle fan bases around. 9 to go, out the bottom 3 if we win next week. Up the bluebirds